- Accomplished senior process automation and controls engineer in the area of control systems, DCS (Distributed Control System), PLC (Programmable Logic Controller), HMI (Human Machine Interface), databases, FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing), SAT (Site Acceptance Testing), and plant network qualification in highly regulated (cGMP), high volume, automated, precision, synchronous, batch and continuous process and manufacturing environments.
- Managed and led engineering teams of high risk, high value and core business capital projects up to $500K on time and under budget.
- Led mitigation of $1.7 million factory loss recurrence through automation, mechanical and process engineering innovation.
- Led migration of custom Pharma S88 Batch application software library across three (3) DeltaV (v6.3, v7.3, v7.4) software releases.
- Chaired nonprofit fundraising event committee of over 12 members to recruit 55 teams, 500 walkers, and raise over $55,000.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, written and verbal skills to break down barriers and influence across cross functional groups and multiple layers of organizations.
May 2012 - Present
Lead Engineer – West Coast Engineering Center
Responsible for directing international and domestic teams that design and implement DCS (DeltaV) and PLC (Rockwell) automation solutions for the Life Sciences, Aerospace, Alternative Energy, Chemical and Mining industries. Contribute to the generation of engineering estimates. Work closely with the customer in all phases of a project from requirements definition through plant startup. Set technical standards for the organization and influence business .
* Developed DeltaV v12.3 graphics, database, phase logic, recipes and performed final setup, startup and testing for Emerson Exchange Life Sciences booth showcasing Syncade and DeltaV integration utilizing process equipment and instrumentation.
* Led teams to evaluate DeltaV and Allen-Bradley PLC/HMI software and hardware solutions to meet Clinical Data Collection requirements on 14 process systems. Lead design, configuration, testing, onsite construction vendor management, commissioning and startup.
* Responsible for process requirements, I/O, control strategies and graphics design during a FEED study for a conversion from Allen-Bradley PLCs to a DeltaV v11.3.1 system at a copper mine.
* Led team on software design, development, network architecture, testing and final commissioning and start up on a PLC controls upgrade to an Allen-Bradley PLC with PanelView Plus HMI at a major Bioscience facility.
* Led automation software and graphics team in the design, configuration, testing on an ABB HMI and control system conversion to DeltaV v11.3.1 including Profibus integration to ABB I/O at an aerospace facility.
* Led international project team in software design, configuration, network architecture, Integrated Factory Acceptance Testing, and onsite system startup on a new DeltaV v11.3.1 BPCS and SIS system integration at a major chemical brownfield facility.
Jul 2011 - May 2012
Project Design Engineer, Executive Project Manager
Web design, development and content management system (CMS) implementation and support specializing in optimization, usability, front-end development, search engine optimization and systems administration. Create and build processes and infrastructure to maximize efficiency and profits for online web based clients. Led new business solicitation, marketing, estimating, project management, design and implementation.
* Managed and developed content management systems (CMS) via WordPress utilizing Studiopress themes under Genesis framework.
* Managed and troubleshoot client content through php, HTML and css code analysis and updates.
* Executed search engine optimization (SEO); keyword development based on relevance, traffic, commerciality and competition; pay per click management, list management, competition analysis, link building, video publishing and article marketing.
* Created and implemented seamless eCommerce (products, services and digital downloads) functionality and integration.
* Developed membership site; integrated social media (Facebook, twitter) and existing eCommerce sites, such as, Amazon.
Oct 2010 - Mar 2012
Principle Engineer (Process/Manufacturing)
Manage projects (client requirements, vendor relations, procurement, installation and validation) and achieve budget and schedule milestones. Provide continuous improvement on equipment and processes through troubleshooting automated lines and processes.
* Created and executed multiple client equipment validations (user requirements, design and technical specifications) and qualifications (installation and operational qualifications).
* Directed and reviewed vendor documentation (requirements, design, equipment specifications, P&ID's, Component cut sheets, equipment tag list, etc.) to ensure local equipment standardization and regulatory compliance.
* Performed Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) at vendor sites to ensure requirements and equipment reliability.
* Performed GAP analysis on TEN engineering procedures for sterile manufacturing equipment.
Nov 2003 - Oct 2010
Associate Consultant Engineer – Automation (Sr. Process Automation Engineer/Project Manager) - Capital Projects
ELI LILLY & COMPANY
Managed and responsible for leading commissioning and qualification activities including computer system validation for Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) projects. Provided automation support, continuous improvement and deviation reduction in analytical and process equipment.
*Coordinated and led multifunctional 25 member teams across 9 departments to implement critical and compliant corrective actions in an expedited timeline to prevent recurrence of process failures resulting in factory loss and/or deviations.
*Directed automation and validation for high value, high risk and core business project on time to mitigate a $1.7 million factory loss recurrence and provide productivity cost savings of $10,000 annually.
*Managed, designed and delivered $224,000 upgrade of paper-based chart recorder monitoring of over 93 pieces of lab equipment and locations throughout 8 laboratories resulting in a $20,000 annual savings in operation and maintenance.
*Implemented $400,000 stability monitoring system to address corporate audit observations of antiquated system.
*Designed and directed implementation of new safety measures and remote notification technology platform (WIN-911) to meet critical requirements for stability study excursions during normal and off shift hours.
2006 - 2008
Sr. Process Automation Engineer – Diabetes Care Manufacturing
ELI LILLY & COMPANY
Provided 24 hour automation support, continuous improvement and deviation reduction for insulin manufacturing of over 50 million vials per year utilizing Allen-Bradley ControlLogix PLCs and RSView SE HMIs integrated with AspenTech IP.21 Data Historian.
*Maintained Zero deviations during 9 week period (first in department history) through automation and process team improvements.
*Directed 12 member team efforts to mitigate a $900,000 factory loss recurrence. Determined effort (e.g. 11 functional areas impacted) vs. benefit (e.g. reduction in overtime, prevent factory loss).
*Led effort to eliminate non procedural zed practice comparing screen captures to printed cycle reports for batch forward processing.
*Directed automation effort of six sigma project to reduce 14,000 manufacturing ticket hand entries per lot by 20%.
2003 - 2006
Process Automation Architect – DeltaV Technical Subject Matter Expert
ELI LILLY & COMPANY
Developed, trained and led DeltaV library component builds for customers to include requirements, functional code, graphics, design, source code review, testing and final release to production. Maintained and responsible for expediting bug fixes and upgrades for over 50 components between major version releases and ongoing improvements.
*Delivered a record 4 component releases in one day and maintained 100% on time delivery.
*Supervised, trained and coordinated 6 member component build team activities for release to production.
*Led validation and independent release of over 50% CLASS DeltaV Components and graphics across 3 major (6.3, 7.3, 7.4) migrations.
*Authored Fix32 to iFix migration documentation for software component library. (e.g. Impact Analysis, Risk Assessment, Action Plan, Programming Standards, Release Notes and procedures).
*Led development and implementation of tracking system for multiple repair/enhancement activities between external and internal (vendors) across major versions.
*Evaluated vendor/developer of component library end user training and made recommendation resulting in transfer of ownership to new company.
*Provided software, hardware and construction setup & support for new training facility for DeltaV (DCS) systems.
2000 - 2003
MILLENNIUM AUTOMATION, INC.
Estimated, designed, programmed, installed and validated automated and turn-key systems. Maintained high customer satisfaction through prompt service call response and resolution.
*Programmed and validated process cells using DeltaV with Intellution Fix32 for new Eli Lilly Humalog facility in Puerto Rico.
*Designed, programmed, tested, performed FAT and implemented multiple projects using Modicon 984E-785 with Modbus + interface to Wonderware HMI with simulation via Cape software for Eli Lilly Tippecanoe Laboratories Bulk Pharmaceutical site.
*Estimated, designed, programmed, installed and supported conveyor monitoring system utilizing Quantum PLC’s communicating via Modbus + network with a single WonderWare InTouch HMI for Daimler Chrysler Foundry, Indianapolis.
*Provided PLC and HMI programming, hardware setup, installation and field support for custom Sheet Molding Compounds (SMC) manufacturer - Interplastics Corporation.
*Designed/upgraded, programmed, integrated with new PC gauge and process control equipment, installation and validation of 4-High Rolling Mill utilizing Quantum PLC with WonderWare InTouch HMI for Stripco Incorporated, Mishawaka, IN.
1999 - 2000
SELCO ENGINEERING, INC.
Led design, programming, implementation of automated and turn-key solutions.Maintained high customer satisfaction during service and support calls.
*Designed and programmed modifications/improvements for new dial assembly using Siemens PLC and HMI.
*Serviced and upgraded GE Series One PLC to PLC Direct PLC, D3-340, EEPROM to support engineering service calls and improvements.
*Coordinated, designed (Electrical and Mechanical) and implemented 4th generation robot swage cell using Allen-Bradley SLC 5/03 with PanelView 550.
1995 - 1999
Electronic Data Systems
Led new business solicitation, marketing, estimating, project management, design and implementation of automated and turn-key solutions. Provided automation line support and continuous improvement for generator final assembly processes and equipment.
* Led startup and install for electronics assembly 2nd generation Lean Cell line utilizing Modicon 984 with Modbus +, Acuity Powervision, Compumotor , Servo control, Scimetrics Load Cell monitoring, SemiTek Diode Test, Imaje Ink Jet.
* Solicited and secured bid, managed, designed, specified components, programmed, panel design and build, installed and validated pick and place systems into existing injection mold machines interfaced with Mitsubishi A2AS PLC, distributed I/O and 870GOT HMI.
* Managed, designed, programmed and installed (3) Allen-Bradley CVIM2 Vision systems with existing electronic coil assembly lines.
1993 - 1995
Manufacturing/Controls Engineer (Contract)
GENERAL MOTORS -DELPHI-ENERGY & ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Led development, design, cost reduction, throughput and continuous improvements of generator final assembly using Bosch material handling, Allen-Bradley, CVIM2 Vision, GMF robots and Modicon PLC's.
*Reduced customer returns from 337 Parts per Million (PPM) to 100 via root cause analysis and on-site customer visits.
*Led engineering assembly line and process design modification efforts to meet line performance target increase of 500 units per day.
*Increased throughput by 8% upon implementation of shift count display marquee on production line.
Jan 1989 - Jan 1993
Manufacturing/Mechanical Design Engineer -Final Assembly, Fuel Injectors
INDIANA PRECISION TECHNOLOGY, INC.
Conducted setup, line support, process documentation, training and continuous improvements associated with NEW PLANT STARTUP
*Designed and implemented a mechanical/pneumatic pick-in-place solution that resulted in a $100,000 annual savings.
*Designed and implemented an INTERNAL PARTS WASHER for fuel injectors achieving a 40% decrease in contaminated parts to customer with a R.O.I. of 4 months.
Distributed Control System (DCS)
Human Machine Interface (HMI)
- Former board member of Network For Emphasizing Abilities First (NEAF) Affinity Group at Eli Lilly.
- Former Chairperson and committee member for national and local Arthritis Foundation Fundraising events.
- Personal growth and development training via experiential workshops.
- 2009 Hoosier Hero (Service) Award (Indiana Dollars for Scholars Org) – Nominated by High School Senior
- 2008 Mary Lou Anderson Spirit Award – Indiana Chapter Arthritis Foundation
- 2008 Jefferson Award winner – Eli Lilly and Company
- 2006 Volunteer of the Year - Honorable Mention – National Arthritis Foundation