Sikhula Sonke Early Childhood Development
The specific responsibilities of my position as Executive Director were as follows:
Program Development and Administration:
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and staff, assure that Sikhula Sonke has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational, and financial plans with the Board and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Maintain official records and documents; ensure compliance with state regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
Budget and Finance:
- Work with the Financial Manager to develop and maintain sound financial practices.
- Work with the Financial Manager and the Board to prepare a budget; ensure that Sikhula Sonke operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit Sikhula Sonke to carry out its programs.
- Jointly with the Chairman and Secretary of the Board, conduct Sikhula Sonke’s official correspondence end jointly with designated officers, execute legal documents on behalf of Sikhula Sonke.
Communications & Marketing:
- Ensure that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of Sikhula Sonke and all important factors influencing it.
- Ensure that the organisation and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders, specifically the Department of Social Development, the Western Cape Education Department, City of Cape Town officials, other ECD organisations and the general public.
- Establish sound, collaborative relationships with community groups and other organizations.
- Write the quarterly newsletter Simply Sikhula Sonke and keep the website and blog up dated with relevant and informative articles.
Staff and Volunteers – Recruitment, Retention, Training, & Evaluation:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff and volunteers in relating their specialized work to the total mission of Sikhula Sonke.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff (including volunteer staff) of top quality people.
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation.
Other Skills required of this position are:
- Demonstrated ability in written and oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to develop and execute a strategic plan.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Computer skills (M.S. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Pastel, internet, etc.).
- Understanding and basic knowledge of early childhood development.
- A leader who can articulate a vision and motivate people to act with a shared vision.
- An individual whose style is at once decisive and direct as well as collegial and approachable.
- A person who is accessible, supportive, and flexible.
- An executive with a “hands on” approach to work and a passion for results.
- A good listener who inspires confidence and trust and is open to ideas of others.
- An excellent manager who respects and supports the capabilities and independence of staff and volunteer leadership.
- A person with integrity, a good sense of humor, and a high level of energy.