TEFL/ Elementary Teacher
Sandia Base Elementary Public School
TEFL/ ESL teacher for the 2nd Grade/ All subjects in English including Math, Science, History, etc.
- Enjoys a reputation for excellent classroom management (kind, firm and fair) as well as high academic achievement: ESL/TEFL students typically make between one and three year gains on the NMELPA/ Language Assessment Scale or LAS.
- Dedicated Emergent Reading Coach for afterschool Reading Recovery Program (2005-7).
Alternative Language Services Coordinator, (2003-present)
- Acts as an advocate for TEFL/ESL students and supports colleagues with effective TEFL 'sheltering strategies', instruction and assessment, 'Language and Culture Diversity' training.
- Actively involved in Curriculum Design and Mapping: Acts as a principal consultant, advocating for more equitable and effective ESL instruction, and ensuring that adequate language support services are built into the K-6th grade curriculum.
Math Curriculum Leader for the Highland School District (2004-8)
- Works as part of a team to align the district's mathematics curriculum with state and national standards and meet the needs of our diverse ESL/TEFL population.
- Acts as a Teacher-Trainer/ Liaison/ Collaborator to help develop and lead professional development courses focused on math standards, content, and the promotion of more effective Everyday Math instruction (http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/).
- IT Trainer for Promethean Smart Boards http://www.prometheanplanet.com. Adept at the latest educational software and IT technologies. Excellent computer skills.