I play competitive beach volleyball at least three times a week, have been a former downhill ski racer, and have coached young people in both sports. I enjoy camping, sailing, and cooking with friends and am fascinated by different cultures, music, and science. Learning new languages, painting, and gardening are my favorite hobbies.
Dedicated and accomplished CELTA-certified TEFL teacher, with a strong work ethic and a Masters Degree in Education, Curriculum and Instructional Leadership offers over eleven years of experience teaching in both academic and professional settings. Employs innovative, research-based methods to increase participation, nurture learner confidence, and develop English proficiency. Experience preparing students for Cambridge FCE and Trinity exams. Developed and taught Technical English courses for professionals in the Medical, Naval, and Legal fields.
Oct 2001 - Present
TEFL/ Elementary Teacher
Sandia Base Elementary Public School
TEFL/ ESL teacher for the 2nd Grade/ All subjects in English including Math, Science, History, etc.
- Enjoys a reputation for excellent classroom management (kind, firm and fair) as well as high academic achievement: ESL/TEFL students typically make between one and three year gains on the NMELPA/ Language Assessment Scale or LAS.
- Dedicated Emergent Reading Coach for afterschool Reading Recovery Program (2005-7).
Alternative Language Services Coordinator, (2003-present)
- Acts as an advocate for TEFL/ESL students and supports colleagues with effective TEFL 'sheltering strategies', instruction and assessment, 'Language and Culture Diversity' training.
- Actively involved in Curriculum Design and Mapping: Acts as a principal consultant, advocating for more equitable and effective ESL instruction, and ensuring that adequate language support services are built into the K-6th grade curriculum.
Math Curriculum Leader for the Highland School District (2004-8)
- Works as part of a team to align the district's mathematics curriculum with state and national standards and meet the needs of our diverse ESL/TEFL population.
- Acts as a Teacher-Trainer/ Liaison/ Collaborator to help develop and lead professional development courses focused on math standards, content, and the promotion of more effective Everyday Math instruction (http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/).
- IT Trainer for Promethean Smart Boards http://www.prometheanplanet.com. Adept at the latest educational software and IT technologies. Excellent computer skills.
Nov 2007 - Present
Academic Support Teacher for Grades K-8
Albuquerque Teacher's Federation: 'Homework Hotline'
District's non-profit "Dial-a-Teacher" program:
Providing on-call academic support in all subjects as well as ESL/ translation services to students in grades 1-8 after school hours, (2 three-hour shifts per week).
Sep 1998 - Jun 2001
TEFL Teacher for Grades 2-8
TEFL Teacher (grades 2-8):
- Taught Reading, Language Arts, Science, Grammar, and Art in English
- Head Drama Coach (Drama Club): wrote, directed, and produced several school plays in English
- P.E. Coach and Ski Chaperone/Instructor