Chief Financial Officer, Chief Technology Officer
American Bar Association
The American Bar Association, the largest voluntary professional association in the world. With more than 400,000 members, the ABA provides law school accreditation, continuing legal education, information about the law, programs to assist lawyers and judges in their work, and initiatives to improve the legal system for the public.
TRADE ORGANIZATION, 1,000 EMPLOYEE’S WORLD WIDE, REVENUE OF $250 MILLION.
P&L and Technology responsibility for the entire organization which comprised of 2,000 individual sections, divisions and forums.
- Recruited to stabilize and restructure financial, technical, publishing and administrative team of approx 250 through external hiring, in house development and role redefinition.
- Developed new structure and cost basis to create competitive advantages for long term, sustainability and profitability, reducing costs by $11 million without impacting services.
- Complete P&L responsibility working with the Board of Governors, Finance Committee and Audit Committee addressing high level financial issues such as $30 million cash shortage, investment advisor change of long term investment portfolio and year- end financial information restatement.
- Directed to implement a significant financial turnaround in 1 year. Managed to budget and attained zero based budgeting for fiscal year ending for 2009 and 2010.
- Initiated a strategic plan to address a $54 M unfunded Defined Pension Plan.
- Created a Technology roadmap for back office and front office support and aligned with products strategy and changing trade association value requirements.
- Designed and executed a complete ERP rollout of Oracle utilizing all modules increasing efficiency and reduction of single transactions.
- Changed employee morale from low to high.
- Initiated a development, training and succession planning.