Journalist with 20 years of experience in print, television and online media. Expertise in web content management and experience in managing web site development and redesign projects.
I have extensive experience working in and leading teams from diverse professional and cultural backgrounds. I have led teams of different sizes, from 2 persons to 15-20 people, throughout my career. In so doing, I have acquired the ability to establish clear targets at both team and individual level, and to put in place monitoring systems to ensure implementation of deliverables according to schedule. I also work hard to establish and maintain a good esprit de corps as well as provide team members the opportunity to develop professionally.
I am a trained and experienced journalist with strong communication skills. Having worked in different mass media: print (newspapers, magazines, journals), TV (newschannels) and the Web (daily news sites, thematic gateways, corporate sites), I have a sound knowledge of how various media can be effectively deployed as part of corporate communications strategies. I also bring valuable experience in identifying and developing the policies necessary to support those strategies.
Web project management
I have several years of experience in managing web building and redesign projects. I have built and launched several web sites and revamped two web sites. Some samples are listed on the right. My expertise is in tender development for CMS vendors, designing information architecture, developing taxonomy, and implementation of innovative technological solutions for web functionalities.
I have extensive experience in managing content for different types of web sites: news media, NGOs and UN organizations. I have expertise in editing and producing web content, setting up and managing its workflow, developing content policy and guidelines, and formulating effective content presentation on web sites.
Aug 2009 - Present
My main responsibilities include:
- Strategic planning, development and management of the WHO/Europe website;
- Ensuring a high profile for the website and of WHO's top-priority activities in Europe;
- Implementing evaluation to identify trends, opportunities and areas for improvement;
- Setting the development agenda for the website; and
- Contributing to policies and guidelines for disseminating information via the WHO websites.
Dec 2006 - Jul 2009
Web Editor in Chief
My main responsibilities were to:
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of corporate multilingual content production, including the WHO home page;
- Lead the production of regular web features;
- Develop and disseminate web editorial standards and policies for WHO; and
- Improve the editorial quality and broaden the scope of the WHO website.
Jan 2004 - Nov 2006
My key achievements were to:
- Revamp the World Volunteer Web, a portal promoting volunteerism for development, with a new design, information architecture and new functionalities;
- Revamp the UNV corporate website, with a new design, information architecture and multilingual versions;
- Introduce multi-lingual content on both sites;
- Develop and implement long-term growth strategy for both sites;
- Market and promote the websites;
- Lead the development of three Country Office websites; and
- Win the Web4Dev Award from the World Bank for excellence in web design and management (June 2006).
Jun 2001 - Dec 2003
Editor, Digital Opportunity Channel
My key achievements were to:
- Build Digital Opportunity Channel and launch it on target date;
- Establish the Channel as a key web resource in ICT4D sector, especially as an authentic voice from the South;
- Successfully negotiate with partners to join the collaboration;
- Recruit southern NGOs as partners of the Channel/OneWorld;
- Introduce online discussion forums and train moderators; and
- Position the website as up-to-date source of information with frequent updates.
Mar 2000 - Jun 2001
Jan 1999 - Mar 2000
Produced live news bulletins for Sahara TV channel, a unit of the Sahara India Pariwar. Assisted reporters in writing stories in specific format, produced stories and finalized the editorial as well as the visual/graphic format of bulletins.
Aug 1994 - Jan 1999
Associate Producer (News)
Business India Group
In TVI - the satellite channel of the Business India Group, the first private news channel to be launched in India - I was part of the core group of producers and independently handled eight to ten-hour shifts that put 30-minute live bulletins on air.
Jan 1994 - Aug 1994
Apr 1992 - Jan 1994
Senior Copy Editor
Worked for this science and environment fortnightly as an editor and a correspondent.
May 1991 - Apr 1992
Worked on the general and sports desks, besides reporting regularly, for this weekly newspaper.
Apr 1989 - Apr 1991
Worked on the business and edit page desks as well as the general desk of the Lucknow edition of the newspaper, besides doing news features regularly.
Screenshot of the revamped web site of UN Volunteers.
Digital Opportunity Channel web site that I built and launched in 2002.
Revamped in my leadership. Won the Web4Dev Award in 2006.
Interactive web site I built for UNV's Global Staff Workshop in 2005.
- Web4Dev Award from the World Bank for excellence in web design and management (June 2006), for the World Volunteer Web site.
- K. K. Birla Foundation Fellowship (October 1998) for research on The Trend of Violence on the Indian Screen & its Influence on Children.
- Centre for Science and Environment Fellowship for Journalists (January 1988) for research on Water Management in the Hirakud Dam Project.
- The Economic Times Award for Best Project Report for research on The Health Situation in Delhi (1988).