Versatile executive with strong general management experience. Demonstrated record of sustained achievement in running a business unit, including P&L, advertising and sponsorship sales, sales management, marketing, sales development and editorial. Highly effective initiating change to increase revenue and achieve bottom-line goals.
Oct 2007 - Present
Vice President, Live Media-FORTUNE magazine
Responsible for the sale of sponsorships to C-level, invitation-only conferences.
- As of July, 2010, secured $10.2 MM in sponsorship revenue across four events, exceeding budget of $7.6 MM
- In 2009, secured $2.9 MM of sponsorship revenue across three events, vs. budget of $3.4 MM
In 2008, secured $4.7 MM of sponsorship revenue across four events, exceeding sales budget of $4.3 MM by 9.3%.
Jul 2006 - Oct 2007
Associate Publisher, Sales Development
Directed a staff of five in conceiving, writing, designing and producing integrated proposals for the sale of print and online advertising and conference sponsorships. Assigned categories were consulting, consumer electronics, corporate, energy, freight, tech hardware and software, and travel. Significant sales were made to Accenture, IBM, Marriott, Symantec, and UPS, among others.
Apr 2002 - Jul 2006
Vice President, Custom Publishing
Responsible for full P&L of $28 MM business consisting of advertising supplements, classified advertising, editorial and advertorial reprints, and FORTUNE-branded premiums. Led 20 staff and more than 30 independent sales representatives.
·Grew advertising revenue 47%, from $14 MM to$20.6 MM by (1) reorganizing department and independent sales force by category; (2) improving product quality and increasing speed to market by replacing contractors with the first editorial staff in department history (executive editor, deputy editor, art director and three designers); and (3) generating millions of extra circulation for supplements by getting association partners to distribute supplements to their members.
oAchieved results while reducing fixed costs and as well as variable costs per unit.
·Took responsibility for reprints and premiums in 2005 and, in 18 months, grew revenue 48%, from $5.4 MM to $8 MM
Sep 2001 - Apr 2002
- Restructured sales force, increasing account coverage and reducing expenses
- Recruited independent sales representatives to sell advertising sections, which resulted in sustainable new revenue
- Initiated a new strategy for the automotive category by signing account representative in Detroit to focus on packaging Pace’s three in-flight magazines
Apr 2001 - Aug 2001
Vice President, Marketing Development
Responsible for advertising and sponsorship sales, list sales and sales training company-wide
- Served on task force to improve sales compensation structure and spearheaded the removal of historical barriers between exhibit and advertising/sponsorship sales groups
- Created and promoted packages for the sale of exhibit space with advertising and sponsorship products
- Created plan, process and staffing for cross-event sponsorship sales, a new venture for Reed
- Created with director of sales training the first written strategy for company-wide sales training
Oct 1998 - Feb 2001
Publishing Director and General Manager
Publishing Director and General Manager of Golf & Travel magazine
- Increased advertising revenue by 66% in two years
- Directed the development of a new circulation strategy resulting in larger, higher quality circulation
- Launched Golf & Meetings demo edition, which delivered more than $300,000 revenue in 2000
- Created two profitable conferences for senior executives in targeted advertising categories (golf resorts and golf real estate)
- Changed editorial direction of the magazine to better serve the reading interests of avid golfers
- Cut production costs by $150,000 by changing paper stock and color separators
- Launched Web site (www.tgtmag.com) and established reciprocal partnerships with nine online companies
Jul 1995 - Oct 1998
Director, Custom Publishing
Published approximately 45 advertising supplements annually. Managed staff of eight and approximately 15 independent sales representatives. Responsible for editorial direction, design, copy, advertising sales and P&L.
- Generated record operating income for three consecutive years ($13.4 million in 1996, $14.3 million in 1997, and $14.6 million in 1998).
- Increased operating profit margins by 15 percentage points
- Reduced the annual number of sections from 57 to 45 while continuing to grow revenue and profits
- Created new revenue streams from conferences, a Custom Projects Web site and reprints (approximately $1.5 million)
May 1992 - Jul 1995
Managed staff of three salespeople and two assistants
- Increased Midwest advertising page volume from 167 to 205, a 23% increase
- Guided two of three direct reports to reaching 110% or more of target revenue
- Assigned responsibility to sales assistant for following up on media kit requests, which resulted in $482,000 of new business in 1994.
- Initiated four advertising supplements (Chicago, Wisconsin, Indiana and Document Imaging) totaling $1.3 million in incremental revenue
Mar 1988 - May 1992
Southwest Manager, FORTUNE magazine
- Increased advertising revenue each year despite a regional economic recession
- Worked through mayors’ offices in Dallas, Austin/San Antonio and New Orleans to launch and sell four economic development advertising supplements. The first Dallas supplement was the largest in FORTUNE’s 40-year history publishing supplements
- Winner of The President’s Award, Time Inc.’s highest honor, for winning a one-book-buy battle against Forbes for Compaq’s $1+ million schedule
Apr 1986 - Mar 1988
Increased territory market share by three percentage points and sold $500,000 FORTUNE Service 500 advertising schedule to CSX Corp.
Jun 1984 - Apr 1986
1985 PC World salesperson-of-the-year
Jan 1981 - Jun 1984
Sold advertising in Eastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia. Increased market share to more than 70%, by a wide margin the highest market share among POWER sales representatives.
Aug 1978 - Dec 1981
Conceived, researched, wrote and edited instruction and feature articles.
1993 - 1995
Master of Business Administration
Graduated second in class.
Hotchkiss Scholar (top 10% of class)
1974 - 1978
Bachelor of Arts
Graduated cum laude.
Worked four years on the award-winning student newspaper, The Cavalier Daily. Elected Executive Sports Editor for fourth year.
Played one year on the varsity golf team.
Joined Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.