Reading, basketball, waterskiing, technology, barbecue, filmmaking, exercise.
BIO: Sam’s marketing, sales and ebusiness experience spans 17 years in B2C & B2B, for startups and Fortune 50 companies. For the first half of Sam's career he led marketing, sales and business development for several startups in CA. These businesses were in direct mail, marketing consulting, online community, and web-based telecommunications. Sam joined Dell in 1999 and managed Dell’s consumer web site, responsible for operations, content, design, analytics, and P&L management. He managed the IT portfolio for Dell.com online commerce and support. Sam led Dell through three redesigns and helped develop Dell’s global online strategy and best practices. Despite sales decline in the PC industry, online conversion doubled every year, and Sam helped grow Dell's online revenue to over 50% of total revenues and made Dell.com the largest consumer ecommerce site (in revenue) at over $3.5 billion. Sam also launched Dell's Consumer CRM & segmentation group, responsible for developing vertical markets, retail marketing strategy, CRM & database marketing programs, hispanic marketing, three-year plan, and launched Dell's customer-centricity strategy and change leadership council. Sam is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt, and author of two books: "301 Do-it-Yourself Marketing Ideas" and "How to Market With Computer User Groups". Sam is a frequent contributor to magazines and presents on digital strategy, word of mouth marketing, social media, and change leadership. Today, Sam is CMO for Bazaarvoice Inc., recognized as an AlwaysOn 250 startu, awarded "ClickZ Marketing Innovation of the Year" twice, and Austin's "Best Place to Work" twice. Bazaarvoice is the leading company today turning social contributions into real commerce through SaaS technology and services serving the Global 2000.
To create or grow a company with the boldness, integrity and culture that sustains momentum.
2009 - Present
Co-Founder & Managing Director (side project)
Co-founded an early stage accelerator program which offers up to $20k, 20 mentors, and 10 weeks of mentorship in Austin for 5 selected companies. We choose from 200 to 300 applications.
2006 - Present
Chief Marketing Officer
- As founding CMO, launched the company out of stealth mode. Responsible for products, marketing, & business development.
- In 4.5 years grew company to 550 employees in 8 countries serving 850 client brands in 26 languages with minimal capital.
- Achieved an average of one press hit every day since company launch (over 2,000 hits).
- Defined the brand and social commerce industry through press, social media, SEO, webinars, video, and creating or participating in over 100 events per year.
- Produced five social commerce summits (3 in U.S., 2 in UK), each receiving scores of 9 out of 10 from attending marketing executives.
- Launched the leading social commerce platform including 8 SaaS applications (inventor on 7 patents pending) responsible for 90% of today's revenue.
- Signed our first 13 partnership agreements in three months.
- Established lead generation capabilities that result in 70% of pipeline marketing influenced for a global sales team of over 60 people.
- Interim CFO for a quarter. Led business reforecasting and rebuilt IT leadership and process.
- Active participant in sales with C-level audiences, influencing approximately 25% of revenue, including deals with Walmart, Best Buy, Dell, QVC, JCPenney, Argos, and USAA.
- Contributing columnist to ClickZ, iMedia, DMNews and frequent industry speaker.
2004 - 2006
- Manage 26-person team responsible for Dell’s enterprise installed base marketing & university programs. Includes marketing communications, brand, and ebusiness for a $1.5B+ P&L.
- In one quarter, drove 33% increase in profits profit and 56% increase in online service revenue through merchandising and pricing. Established best-in-class upsell strategy for Dell worldwide.
- Launched co-op marketing team and achieved 300% increase in outside funding.
- Developed and launched nationwide university marketing to over 500 schools including advertising, kiosks, student representatives, events, and guerilla marketing. Grew student sales 25% YOY.
- Launched new pricing strategy across five Dell divisions improving operating income 16%.
- Executive sponsor for Dell’s Global emetrics council.
2003 - 2004
Senior Manager, CRM & Customer Centricity
- Launched and directed Dell Consumer Division’s first CRM & Segmentation team, also responsible for strategic "change leadership" projects across the $9B division.
- Led new sales & direct mail segmentation strategies delivering $30M incremental margin per year.
- Launched customer centricity strategy and measurement across marketing, sales & support.
- Launched Dell’s first Hispanic marketing program, including TV advertising, sales and support.
- Responsible for 3 year plan, promotions strategy, and retail competitive strategies.
1999 - 2003
Sr. Mgr, Consumer eBusiness (Dell.com); CRM & Customer Centricity
- Directed Dell’s consumer online strategic plan, project roadmap, research, budget, agency, and overall user experience for Dell’s $3.5B consumer ecommerce and support sites.
- Quadrupled online conversion & reached 51% of sales online (from 20% four years prior).
- Managed a staff of 13 marketers, developers, designers, & product managers, and agency.
- Directed Dell’s online technology roadmap and launched over 100 online technology & marketing projects and three Dell.com redesigns. Site awarded by Forrester, PC Magazine and Vividence.
- Established global best-practices for site operation processes, metric dashboards, research methods, and financial reporting. Completed Green Belt Six Sigma training.
- Lead CMO council for Dell.com global vision, site redesign, globalization, and eBusiness analytics.
- Site awarded “Best Computer Site” by PC Magazine and “Best Computer Retailer Site”.
- Awarded “MVP of the Quarter”, “Rookie of the Quarter”, “Employee of the Year”, and “Manager of the Quarter”and Completed Six Sigma/BPI Green Belt worth $14M in margin
1998 - 1999
Director of Marketing & Products
- Responsible for all product and corporate marketing activities globally.
- Launched and managed four SaaS telecommunication services in U.S. and Europe.
- Recognized for innovation as company’s first “Employee of the Quarter”.
1997 - 1998
Director of Marketing / Community
- Launched and managed first online chat, discussions, and clubs—80% of the site’s traffic.
- Managed customer e-mail newsletter and internal advertising, doubling page views per visitor
- Directed online marketing strategy, budget and analysis—including guerilla marketing tactics.
- Achieved a 400% increase in traffic in two months, 30% response rate, and <=25¢ cost/visit.
1996 - 1997
- Created installed-base marketing strategies & web sites for Apple Computer and Claris Corporatio
- Developed and executed loyalty & internal-awareness campaign for Apple.
- Launched and served as Executive Director for MacWorld's Magazine's �Macworld Club".
1993 - 1996
Vice President, Marketing & Sales
User Group Connection / Store
- Led growth of an Apple spin-off to a 23-person loyalty marketing consulting and mail-order company, growing from zero to $12 million annual revenue in less than 3 years.
- Managed sales & marketing team responsible for business development, collateral, web site, email campaigns, media relations, 32-page monthly catalog, trade shows, and two B2B newsletters.
- Created, sold and delivered loyalty & WOM marketing programs for leading companies such as Adobe, Apple, Borland, IBM, Macworld, Motorola, Power Computing, Philips, and Symantec.