“Judy is an inspiration. She is honest, thorough, disciplined, tireless and has a strong moral compass all leavened by a great sense of humor, and great enthusiasm. Throughout her editorship of Contemporary OB/GYN it was the top rated and best read magazine in its genre.”
Synthesizing technical information for specific audiences—Making Sense of Science™—is what I do best.
My specialty is translating the latest advances in medicine into clear communication for end users ranging from MDs to allied health professionals to consumers.
I am an award-winning writer/editor and communications director with more than 25 years’ experience. My subject matter expertise includes ob/gyn, oncology, urology, HIV/AIDS, urgent care, complementary & alternative medicine, managed care, and urgent care. I hold certification as an editor in the life sciences from the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS).
Turn to Orvos Communications for medical writing, editing, and proofreading. We can deliver crisp, concise, and accurate content for projects as varied as:
- CE/CME Materials
- Patient Information
- Fact Sheets
- Briefs...and more
Medical Editing & Writing
More than 16 years' experience editing clinical manuscripts written by and for physicians in oncology, urology and ob/gyn. High quality of work product supported by recommendation from Charles J. Lockwood, MD, MHCM, who serves as physician editor-in-chief of Contemporary OB/GYN, and Jeff Forster, editorial director. Medical writing consisting of clinical news briefs and CME proposals and programs in subject areas including ob/gyn and HIV/AIDS.
Medical Journal Management
Aug 1999 - Present
Editor in the Life Sciences
Board of Editors in the Life Sciences
Apr 2011 - Present
Sole proprietor of medical communications firm dedicated to "Making Sense of Science" for audiences from physicians to allied health professionals to consumers. Examples of engagements include substantive editing of federally approved HIV/AIDS medical practice guidelines on behalf of the National Library of Medicine; creation of audience development strategy for top-ranked physician journal Contemporary OB/GYN; editorial management of JUCM-The Journal of Urgent Care Medicine, the official journal of the Urgent Care Association of America; and creation of scripts for i-Lights online animated abstracts of original medical studies. Clients have included ICF International, Advanstar Communications, The Braveheart Group, T.O.M. Life Science Consulting, and The Dixon Group.
Oct 2009 - Apr 2011
Communications Officer for Research & Development
Key communications liaison between the External Relations and Research & Development (R&D) teams of a nonprofit product development partnership focused on accelerating development of a safe and effective vaginal microbicide for prevention of HIV.
- Wrote and edited documents on progress of preclinical research for stakeholders including Board of Directors, donors and Scientific Advisory Board (SAB).
- Managed and organized annual meeting of SAB, including producing PowerPoint presentations for organization's management team.
- Wrote and edited organization's annual report to the SAB on the status of product development.
Aug 2008 - Sep 2009
Director, NCCAM Clearinghouse
Directed operations of Information Clearinghouse for the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), under Lockheed Martin’s contract with the National Library of Medicine. Led 24-member staff including Call Center Manager and team; Inquiry Response and Training Supervisor and correspondence specialists; Materials Development Manager and publications team; and Library Coordinator.
- Accountable to NIH client for quality of publications, exhibits, and responses to public inquiries in the form of e-mail, postal mail, and Live Chat via the Internet.
- Responsible for $3 million annual budget for Information Clearinghouse and primary contact with customer at NIH.
- Contributor to Lockheed's proposal to NIH for contract renewal.
Mar 2007 - Aug 2008
Directed 11-person communications team under contract to support the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Bureau for Global Health (GH). Oversaw development and creation of print, Web, and multimedia communications materials for GH’s Office of HIV/AIDS; Office of Population and Reproductive Health; and Office of Health,Infectious Diseases,and Nutrition.
- Managed team of 10 staff editors and graphic designers who produced print publications including reports to Congress, such as The President’s Malaria Initiative: Progress Through Partnerships: Saving Lives in Africa;Highly Vulnerable Children: Causes, Consequences and Actions;and The Power of Partnerships: The President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief; issue briefs,success stories, fact sheets, and country profiles.
- Oversaw Web group that generated and maintained content for GH’s intranet and external Web sites, including the portal for The President’s Malaria Initiative (http://www.pmi.gov), and electronic newsletters for the public on global health, reproductive health, and malaria.
Jun 1997 - Dec 2006
Managed and directed Contemporary OB/GYN, a monthly medical journal for ob/gyns. While maintaining print publication's #1 ranking in readership, led expansion into industry-supported CME/CE, including monographs, newsletters, CD-ROMs, live symposia and a Web site.
- Developed, monitored, and controlled communications program’s $2 million annual budget.
- Oversaw editorial board of academic scientists and interacted with them and physician-authors on daily basis.
- Managed on-site editorial team and freelancers producing industry-supported programs.
Nov 1994 - Jun 1997
Thomson Medical Economics
Designed and created Thomson Medical Economics Company’s first Web site, under the Contemporary Urology banner. Developed vision for Web site, built prototype, and convinced corporate management to launch site. Led Contemporary Urology’s editorial staff, budget, and physician editorial board. Responsible for staff selection and leadership, short- and long-range editorial planning, and budgeting.
Jun 1990 - Nov 1994
Medical Economics Publishing
Created and launched Contemporary Oncology, a monthly journal for oncologists. Recruited physician editorial board and recruited and trained editorial staff. Successfully led editorial and graphic design team through an accelerated development process that resulted in creation and issuance of journal’s first issue in just 9 months.
Jun 1986 - Jun 1990
Health Communication Specialist
The Prudential Insurance Company
Wrote, edited, and produced print and electronic communications aimed at marketing Prudential’s managed health care system to employers, employees, and physicians. Wrote newsletters and brochures and produced slide shows and videotapes on health insurance programs.
Jun 1984 - Jun 1986
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ
Wrote, edited, and produced medical benefits brochures and monthly, bimonthly, and quarterly health insurance newsletters and other publications. Developed a line of consumer literature for the corporation's health awareness program. Wrote newsletters for subscribers to corporation's health insurance plans.
Jun 1981 - Jun 1984
Researched and wrote feature-length investigative articles on a variety of medical and lifestyle topics for daily newspaper.
Sep 1978 - Jun 1981
BA English (Cum Laude)
Seton Hall University
- American Medical Writers Association
- Council of Science Editors
- Board of Editors in the Life Sciences