A proven F-500 sales and marketing exec who has also helped launch and sell/merge multiple software and Internet startups. A technology executive with six consecutive VP or higher level assignments with successful VC-funded companies and experience managing a $100 million content businesses for Viacom/Macmillan and multi-million dollar channels for IBM/Lotus. Most recently, I have helped profitably grow our content management business from zero to almost $20 million in annual revenue resulting in another shareholder favorable merger with the world’s leading learning management systems vendor.
Feb 2001 - Present
Chief Marketing Officer
- Introduced company’s first and subsequent enterprise content management and Web 2.0 applications resulting in over 3.5 million licensed users in commercial, education and government institutions around the world.
- Developed online marketing and lead generation programs resulting in four consecutive years of 25%-30% annual revenue growth and profitability.
- Helped recruit, train and motivate sales and business development teams.
- Managed all related expense budgets under plan for five consecutive years.
- Launched software as a service (SaaS) offering for SMB market creating a profitable business unit and winning PC Magazine’s Editor’s Choice in less than 12 months.
- Positioned company as a Gartner “Visionary” while competing directly with IBM, Microsoft and Oracle within the enterprise content management market.
- Achieved three consecutive InfoWorld “Very Good” or “Excellent” ratings for flagship application.
- Established a recognized presence in the academic and research collaboration markets resulting in a favorable merger with the world’s #1 learning management software provider.
Nov 1998 - Dec 2001
Sr. Vice President, Sales & Marketing
- Joined team from San Diego Supercomputing Center to launch online backup and storage services provider (SaaS).
- Co-authored business plan and helped raised $42 million of additional funding from EMC, Merrill Lynch, Qualcomm, and New Enterprise Associates yielding a $240 million pre-IPO capitalization.
- Established exclusive B2C and B2B marketing agreements with Compaq, Dell, Earthlink, [email protected], Gateway, Hewlett Packard, IBM and Intuit.
- Developed online affiliate marketing program with over 300 partners.
- Hired, and trained business development, sales and marketing teams responsible for all company revenue and marketing activities.
- Introduced customer conversion programs resulting in over 250,000 paying subscribers.
Sep 1996 - Sep 1998
Vice President of Sales
Macmillan Publishing (a Viacom Company, Acquired by Pearson)
- Recruited back to Macmillan by company CEO to launch a new division.
- Hired and trained new sales force yielding $63 million in annual revenue – a 300% increase over two-year period.
- Responsible for P&L for three merged business units.
- Established and managed distribution partnerships with Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, Office Max Sam’s Club, Staples, Toys-R-Us, Wal-Mart and other national retailers.
- Successfully merged mass market selling units of Brady Games, Macmillan General Reference and Macmillan Computer Publishing resulting in significant selling cost reduction and increased sales.
Mar 1996 - Sep 1996
Vice President, Sales and Marketing
Paragraph International (Acquired by Silicon Graphics)
- Introduced virtual reality modeling language based product line and established partnerships with IBM, Netscape and SGI resulting in company acquisition.
Apr 1995 - Jan 1996
Vice President of North American Sales
Compton's New Media (Acquired by Mattel)
- Re-established CD ROM publisher as top-ten supplier of reference titles in US and Canada.
- Reversed revenue decline in the first three months and helped restore division to profitability in 6 months.
- Increased retail coverage in North America by over 6,000 new locations, including Sears, K-Mart, Office Max and Business Depot.
- Helped establish favorable partnership with the Learning Company resulting in company acquisition.
Mar 1994 - Apr 1995
Vice President of Sales and Channel Marketing,
StarPress Multimedia (Acquired by Sony)
- Launched start-up company and education software product line in North American market and formed distribution partnerships with Packard Bell, Compaq and Apple.
Jan 1991 - Mar 1994
National Sales Manager, Director of Sales, Macmillan Software Group
Macmillan Publishing USA (a Paramount Company)
- Recruited by former Lotus management to launch new software division at Macmillan.
- Managed internal start-up group P&L above plan each year.
- Grew North American retail channel to over 12,000 locations managing Paramount, Simon & Schuster and Macmillan software lines.
1985 - 1991
Account Manager, Senior Marketing Representative, US Channel Sales
- Managed Midwest VAR partner channel
- Supported enterprise accounts
- Graphics applications specialist, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, New York
1981 - 1985
Bachelor of Science
1980 - 1982
Xythos customers enjoy the spotlight at events and help create great content for education and marketing campaigns.
Every marketer loves customers willing to talk about their products. It's even better when they happen to be respected leaders within their industry!
We've experienced excellent response pairing how to seminars with hot topics, like cloud computing.
This was the cover story to close the year. It features NEU CIO, Rick Mickool sharing his thoughts about web services, security and of course, Xythos.