Nov 2010 - Present
Apr 2008 - Oct 2010
Marketing Communications Specialist
- At this not-for-profit trade association serving the $10 billion higher education retailing industry, I excelled as the go-to person for masterful writing that exudes clarity and style. A steadfast, conscientious, lightning-fast producer of compelling, results-driven marketing collateral--from web content to direct mail campaigns to long-form print pieces.
- Speaker and creator of Social Media 101 educational session at the Online Conference for Campus Market Expo (CAMEX) 2010--the collegiate retailing industry’s largest trade show and educational event, drawing more than 5,000 attendees annually.
- Credited with supporting CAMEX's unexpected rising attendance levels in 2009 and 2010. In sharp contrast to the trade show industry as a whole, CAMEX attendance rose 12%, easily surpassing the organization's goals,despite economic conditions and member store travel restrictions.
- Achieved superb reviews for improving the quality and effectiveness of the organization's marketing pieces, and expertly translating messages to a broad variety of media.
- Leader in executing CAMEX's hallmark long-form marketing programs: the Preview Program and On-site Program, in addition to the full promotional content of www.camex.org.
- Championed the company's first Social Media Plan. Launched an active, growing social media presence for CAMEX and NACS on Facebook and Twitter (@CAMEX2011 and @NACSorg).
- Coached staff and campus retailers on using various social media platforms to achieve marketing goals.
- Recognized with eight awards for original ideas contributed to our marketing strategy, including: creating "The New Downtown Houston" interactive map and web presence, and "CAMEX Deals" on www.camex.org; offering personalized assistance for members in setting up Facebook fan pages; as well as streamlining key internal processes.
Nov 2000 - Aug 2007
- Played a crucial role on the largest global news service's highly skilled core team: U.S. financial news headline writers. According to Reuters, the news division of the company derived the majority of its $11 billion annual revenue from the headlines produced by this group of approximately 15-20 journalists.
- In an extremely high-pressure, demanding environment, used news judgment to aggressively detect market-moving news within Standard & Poor's 500 company press releases and Securities and Exchange Commission filings—dozens of which crossed the wire per hour.
- Published headlines to the wire, without prior review of an editor. Wrote as many as four to five headlines/minute while maintaining an extremely high accuracy rate.
- Directly contributed to an approximate 70% jump in overall headline timing "wins" vs. competitors (e.g., Bloomberg and Dow Jones).
- Won award for fastest, most accurate headline writer among our team in 2007.
- From 2002-2004 (preceding promotion to breaking news headline writing team), developed, researched and wrote financial news stories, with a focus on top U.S. retailers, including Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., Target Corp., Walgreen Co., Macy's Inc. and Gap Inc.
- Conducted hundreds of interviews with company executives, analysts, and consumers.
- Published by news media worldwide -- please see clips in my portfolio.
- Trained journalists one-on-one to identify and prioritize news items in press releases, Securities and Exchange Commission filings (among other sources), and disseminate headlines using proprietary software.
News Associate, Equities News, 2000-2002
- Sharpened reporting skills by taking on news stories and features.
- Managed heavy call volume, issued stock trading indications, and compiled financial data and stock exchange statistics.
Jan 2000 - Oct 2000
- Led Tallinn bureau in coverage of general news, features, politics, and business from Estonia relative to its burgeoning role in the Baltic region and the Europe Union.
- Utilized high degree of cultural sensitivity and overcame language barrier to generate sources, conduct interviews via translator, and write a diverse array of enterprise stories in English for weekly publication.
Highly computer/web literate
Writer and editor with a decade's experience, from journalism at Reuters in New York City and Estonia (Dark. With castles.) to copywriting in my native Rust Belt. Passionate about clear, concise copy that generates results. Über-creative, analytical thinker with a flair for smart headlines and perfect grammar. Uncommon cross-cultural communication skills and very good Spanish language knowledge. World traveler (visited 37 countries to date; lived in five).
Traveling the world
Certified SCUBA diver
Avid runner and cyclist