Online Media Specialist
U.S. Department of State
Utilize online media, social networking, and Web 2.0 tools to raise awareness of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affair's international exchange programs and enhance mutual cultural understanding between the U.S. and other countries. Manage Bureau's official Facebook, Twitter and YouTube presences.
- Awarded a certificate of appreciation for innovative web contributions three months after being hired.
- Helped grow the U.S. government’s first public social networking site, ExchangesConnect (connect.state.gov), to more than 24,000 members in its first 18 months, earning it recognition as a Top 6 Government Social Network by the independent government-focused blog OhMyGov (ohmygov.com).
- Coordinated within a cross-functional team of 15 contractors and government employees from internal departments and external companies to develop and promote two annual video contests for ExchangesConnect.
- Designed the Bureau’s first social media outreach strategy and now serve as the online community manager for its Twitter (1,800 followers) Facebook (680 fans), and YouTube (80,000 total video views) accounts.
- Introduced a new culture of measurement by developing weekly and monthly metrics reports to give senior leadership a snapshot of the ROI for the Bureau’s social media efforts through relevant charts, graphs, and data.
- Collaborate as needed with more than 20 grantee organizations, 50 U.S. embassies, and several State Department bureaus to share web content and coordinate promotional efforts on social media.
- Recruit new membership and encourage community activity by promoting and presenting ExchangesConnect at industry conferences and hands-on training sessions within the State Department.
- Make presentations to the Bureau’s web strategy group every few months on web/social media best practices.
- Participate in high-level meetings to develop the Bureau’s web and communications strategy.
- Contribute to the redesign and development of content for the Bureau’s flagship website (exchanges.state.gov).
- Shoot, produce, and edit videos and audiovisual multimedia content for web distribution. • Maintain a current and valid Secret level security clearance.