- SELPA/IDEA training and workshops 2003-05
- Member: Association of California School Administrators
Accomplished and results-driven special education professional with more than 10 years of teaching experience and a commitment to development and academic success. Expertise in implementing differential instruction and extensive work teaching at-risk students as well as students with behavior disorders and learning disabilities. Notable success in providing students with the tools and skills required to build and advance toward a framework of success. Exceptional instructor, focused on development of programs that challenge, motivate and include all students.
Successfully taught diverse groups of students. Skilled in evaluating needs and developing student-focused teaching strategies, teaching aides, materials and lesson plans. Proficient in involving, motivating and leading students to achieve classroom goals. Provided well-balanced educational experience, exposure to extracurricular activities, and a real-world perspective to learning. Exceptional verbal/written communication skills. Well-organized and detail-focused. Imparted knowledge in a "fun" manner. Able to control large group of young children and create an environment conducive to learning; established good rapport with children. Able to deal with "at-risk" students. Not intimidated by student behavioral problems. Competencies include:
- Creating/Implementing IEP's
- Teaching/Student Development
- Classroom Management
- Lesson Plan Development
- Assisting/Coaching Extracurricular Activities/Sports
- Student/Classroom Discipline
- Taught wide range of subjects to as many as 30+ students per class.
- Created classroom environment that was stimulating, encouraging and adaptive to student needs.
- Provided tutoring after school hours to assist jr. high and high school students with in need of extra help.
- 12 years' special education experience includes includes teaching grades K through 12 and teaching students with a wide range of special needs including Autism and learning disabilities.
California State University San Bernardino, CA 2011 - Present
- College of Education: Autism Spectrum Disorder Certification
California State University San Bernardino, CA 2009 - 2011
- Masters of Education - Administration
- Administrative Services Preliminary Credential
California State University San Bernardino, CA 2004 - 2007
- Special Education Teaching Credential-Mild/Moderate Disablities
- Level II Education Specialist Instruction Credential. Expires: 05/01/2014
California Baptist University, Riverside, CA 1995 - 2001
- Bachelor of Science: Biology
Aug 2010 - Present
Special Education Teacher - High School
Sep 2008 - Aug 2010
Assisted students from junior high through high school in the development of reading and math skills.
Engaged in academic activities with selected students in a one-on-one setting.
Jul 2010 - Aug 2010
Administrator Intern/School Principal
Gained the opportunity to work with and to learn from administrators atGoodwill. Through field-based experiences, I was able to strengthen my qualifications and gain experience.
Oct 2009 - Jul 2010
Oct 2008 - Feb 2009
Engaged developmentally disabled clients and established collaborative relationships directed toward establishing competitive employment in community job settings consistent with client vocational goals.
Developed Individual Employment Plans for my clients and updated it quarterly.
Conducted job development and job search activities.
Aug 2007 - Jun 2008
Special Education Teacher - Junior High
* Designed individual transaction plans for students transitioning, advancing a grade, and transferring.
* Provided professional development training and modeled teaching techniques for paraprofessionals.
Additionally, assisted coaching the boys' basketball team.
Aug 2005 - Jun 2007
Special Education Teacher - Middle School
Managed special education students in collaboration with 6th grade general education teachers to ensure complete compliance with all state and federal special education legal requirements associated with classroom instruction. Taught 6th grade math and science classes. Developed behavior management plans for students and classes.
* Devised curriculum and independently instructed tutorials for special education students. Targeted specific academic and organizational skills areas. Monitored and evaluated student progress and documented achievements on IEPs. Managed annual special education student reevaluations.
* Customized tests and quizzes to meet the needs of special education students. Administered the Iowa Test of Basic Skills; met special needs such as small group settings, requirements for tests to be read aloud, and extended time in taking the test.
* Designed and created graphic organizers and procedural cue cards to aid students with internalizing information.
* Reached out to parents regarding student progress/behavioral issues and conducted parent/teacher conferences.
* Consulted with general education teachers in assessments of students.
Aug 2004 - Aug 2005
Aug 2002 - Jun 2005
Special Education Teacher - High School
Instructed fifteen high school boys with special education needs making the goal to mainstream them back into public schools. Analyzed and developed creative methods for interacting with students as they overcame developmental hurdles. Independently researched and prepared materials to use for daily lesson plans, in-class presentations and discussions. Provided oral presentations and lead class discussions. Used audiovisuals and other materials to aid instruction. Reviewed and compiled information used to establish a curriculum for reading, writing, math, science, life skills and physical education. Lead and Interpreted field trips to museums, aquariums, wildlife sanctuaries and other venues. Prepared report cards, letters and briefing materials using Microsoft Excel, WordPerfect and iMac programs. Routinely scheduled and held meetings during which I was responsible for presenting procedures and policies to administration on issues or ongoing projects. I presented facts and arguments in a logical and concise manner. I confronted and administered discipline for inappropriate behavior. Acquired a keen ability to recognize and deal effectively with alcohol or drug related incidents. I trained and supervised two teachers aides to monitor and direct the students in my absence. I helped foster commitment and a sense of team spirit and was responsible for reconciling conflicting viewpoints and ideas. Possess outstanding ability to communicate with all types of people and maintained positive relationships with co-workers, students and parents. I have substitute taught various subjects for other teachers in the district.Accomplishments include earning the respect and trust of my students and teacher aides. I regularly handled students deemed too difficult for other teachers. Proven capable of establishing open communication with students excessively hostile toward peers or teachers. During 2003 school year, I co produced the play, To Kill a Mockingbird which included coordinating 30 students and teacher participants. It was presented to students, school administration and the public. A review was published in local newspaper. Overall, I offered my students a positive learning experience.
Aug 2001 - Jun 2002
Special Education Teacher - 9th Grade
Taught Biology, Health and Basic Math to Special education high school students in a private educational day treatment program. Highly skilled in maintaining an orderly classroom among extremely disruptive, volatile students. Trained to help staff and in-school psychology counselors during crisis intervention and the administering of ‘Part 2000’; a type of physical restraint technique. Prepared weekly progress and quarterly reports and documented daily academic and behavior reports that were sent home to parents. Effectively communicated physical, social, emotional and ethical development into daily class instruction and offered independent living skills training. Creatively implemented drug and alcohol education into my curriculum and participated in structured educational field trips.
Apr 1995 - Apr 2001
Nuclear Biological Chemical Specialist , Pvt.
Army National Guard
Trained at the US Army Chemical School in Ft. McClellan, Alabama and served in the Co D 2d Bn 185th Armor and HHC 1-160th units. I learned how to decontaminate after chemical, biological or radiological attacks during warfare or terrorist strikes. Five months of instruction included calculating cloud duration and movement, determining attack case and type, downwind distance of hazard area and windspeed estimation. I performed drills involving unmasking procedures, medical support of radiation injury, smoke operations, methods of determining the presence of chemical agents and fighting chemical fires. Upon completion I received title of Chemical Specialist.During military defense training I operated and maintained light armored and 4WD vehicles, 2 ½; ton trucks, HumVees and tanks and frequently transported these vehicles between Camp San Luis Obispo and Camp Roberts with no supervision. I learned wilderness survival tactics, which involved camping in remote areas with minimal or no gear. I participated in war games using M-16’s and live-fire training. I am highly experienced in weapon safety procedures and repairing generators and vehicles and have proven capable of carrying out tasks unsupervised.