- 5 x Cannes Silver / Bronze awards
- 4 x Creative Circle Silver / Bronze awards,
- 8 x D&AD Annual entries for Cinema, Television, Radio and Print
- D&AD Student Gold award,
- 9 x Campaign Press and Campaign Poster nominations
- Numerous One Show, EPICA, Eurobest, ANNA and Aerial awards and nominations.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze IPA Effectiveness awards and a Grand Prix.
This campaign for an alternative fish restaurant suggested fish could only taste this fresh if Cambridge was on the coast. Click pic for more ads
This DM piece comparing bedding to sandpaper resulted in a huge uptake of Decotex sheets and pillowcases in care homes. Click pic for more...
This entry for the 2010 CBS long copy poster awards tells the story of how the persecution of sparrows led to the death of over 30 million people. Click pic to read copy
Multi-media Christmas charity campaign for the Railway Children inc viral, DM, eDM, eCard and experiential Click pic for viral
T&T was an unknown soft drink brand being squeezed out by own label and big brands.Within 6 months of our sponsorship of ITV's Popstars series, it had 50% national awareness and was the fastest growing drink in the UK with a YOY increase of 1313%.
We had 2 months to relaunch the brand to a teenage audience. New packaging was introduced, 17 idents produced, trade advertising and an advertorial in Hello magazine helped hype the launch of the ' band'. Online sponsorship of Top of the Pops website and SMS update messenging increased interest in both brand and programme.
The Campaign was Ad of the Week in The Telegraph and won a number of awards including the Media Week Grand Prix 2001.
Maybe you, but you just don't know it yet.
Yes. I'm an award-winning copywriter with over 25 years experience at some of the UK's leading ad agencies.There are hundreds of us out there. But having spent over 10 years as a creative director at both big and small companies, I think I've more to offer than most.Happy on my own or in a team, you'll get ideas that interrupt but can travel and grow. Filling the gap between inexperienced young teams overflowing with unworkable ideas and senior teams that cost the earth and often don't deliver.
Track records are only ever part of the story, but I have a long history of successful campaigns. I've run departments, agencies and accounts and won a string of creative, consumer and effectiveness awards.
So whether you have a pitch coming up, a tricky problem that won't go away, or need a fresh look at an old account, why not give me a call ?
I'm not just another freelancer.
Online content & SMS messaging
Advertorial in 'Hello' magazine
Click to view TV Idents
Instore POS / online competition
Safeway Sandals Resorts Schwarzkopf Singapore Airlines South West Trains Stones Bitter
Oct 2008 - Present
Freelance / Creative Consultant
After leaving DDB London in 2008 when my son became ill, I freelanced out of Great Ormond Street hospital for 4 years creating TV and press advertising, DM, eDM, online and concept ideas for clients such as Bacardi, Fiat, Ford, P&G, Argos, The Economist, RBS, Unilever and Railway Children to name but a few.
I am now back home and taking on more freelance projects, working from home and on site in addition to my current part time role as creative consultant at nude London communications www.nudelondon.co.uk
Jan 2006 - Apr 2008
- Previous agency Burkitt DDB is merged with sister agency DDB London.
- Oversee and create new work on all Burkitt DDB business plus Capital One and Lactalis.
- Capital One have hugely successful year. Seen as direct result of the advertising.
- After 2 years at DDB take consultancy role to look after 9 year old son at Great Ormond Street.
1999 - 2005
Executive Creative Director/ Managing Partner
- Newly merged agency successfully pitches for Center Parcs, Paypoint, Tio Pepe and Croft.
- Become Managing Partner as agency starts afresh in Smithfield.
- New business wins include Epson and Energizer accounts in both UK and Europe.
- Agency exceeds Omincom financial targets. 5th fastest growing agency in the UK.
- Award nominations for John Lewis, South West Trains and Energizer.
- 2 Gold awards & Grand Prix at IPA Effectiveness awards for Nestle Purina Bakers dog food.
- Agency makes Campaign's Top 10 list for 4 consecutive years for 4 different clients in 4 different mediums - Posters, Press, Local Press and TV sponsorship.
1997 - 1999
- Hired by Hugh Burkitt to replace Mike Court and oversee all agency's creative work.
- Teamed up with one of UK's most awarded Art Directors, Steve Chetham from TBWA.
- Won 8/10 pitches - River Island, Drambuie, Peroni, Britvic, Bells Whisky, Pimms, SWT, RHS
- Helped raise agency score from 2 to 6 in Campaign's annual Top100 Agency review.
- Creative work led directly to the agency being aquired by DDB in 1999
1995 - 1997
Rose Hackney / Will Van De Vlught
TV Commercials Director
- Moved behind camera in addition to agency responsibilities on Safeway.
- Directed over 100 commercials through a number of major production companies.
- Also directed several agency AAR reels and 'making of' documentaries.
1995 - 1997
- Became Bates UK's youngest Creative Director.
- Responsible for Heinz, Center Parcs, Castrol, P&O Ferries accounts.
- Created Harry and Molly campaign for Safeway
- Voted UK's favourite advertising campaign for 3 years running.
- Adwatch Ad of the year. Top 10 ads of the decade.
- 1996 Silver IPA Effectiveness winner and BAFTA nomination
- Campaign generated millions of pounds worth of PR in the national media
1991 - 1995
- Joined as senior team under Andrew Cracknell.
- Created populist TV campaigns inc Kenco coffee with Cherie Lunghi, Woolworths and Stones.
- Woolworths voted Campaign advertiser of the year. Cannes Bronze winner.
- Advertising partner of 13 years, Russell Waldron, killed in cycling accident at Waterloo.
1983 - 1991
Copywriter / Associate Creative Director
Allen Brady and Marsh
- Won national scholarship to join UK's 2nd biggest ad agency as a copywriter.
- Teamed up with art director Russell Waldron who also won scholarship.
- After just 12 months began presenting to major clients and running accounts.
- New TV campaigns for Weetabix, Ever Ready, Midland Bank, Britvic, Mars & Vladivar.
- Print Campaigns included Thomas Cook, Rentokil and the Milk Marketing Board.
- Won several major awards inc Creative Circle Silver and Bronzes, Campaign Press, D&AD.
1979 - 1983
- BA honours degree ( 2:1) in Graphic Design
- Successful 6 month placement at Marshall Editions Publishing in London
- Won Gold D&AD Student Award for advertising