Jun 2008 - Present
Aug 2005 - Jun 2008
Sr. Software Architect
As the ninth employee of EnterpriseDB, I’ve been fortunate enough to have designed, prototyped, participated in, or led the development of many successful projects which have enabled the company to grow and succeed. While acting primarily as a Sr. Software Architect focusing on database internals, my experience and proven ability to lead has led me to have been tasked with porting, project management, sales, performance, and services projects.
- Prior to its acquisition, I performed technical due diligence of ExtenDB (now GridSQL) on behalf of EnterpriseDB.
- Selected to independently port SugarCRM Enterprise to EnterpriseDB.
- Selected to independently port a Fortune 500’s COBOL application to EnterpriseDB.
- Selected as one of four project members to design, develop, test, and deliver EnterpriseDB Postgres.
- Performed real world testing as a primary and ongoing member of EnterpriseDB’s Advanced Testing Group.
- Performed post-sales work for several major clients.
- Performed sales engineering tasks for several major clients.
- Performed both public and customer-oriented database training sessions.
- Performed database benchmarking and performance regression analysis.
- Participated in the design and development of EnterpriseDB and Postgres training materials and labs.
- Participated in the design of the EnterpriseDB Procedural Language Debugger.
- Led the design and development of an Oracle Call Interface (OCI) drop-in library replacement.
- Led the development of an Oracle-compatible SQL precompiler suite for COBOL.
- Designed and prototyped an update-in-place storage engine replacement for PostgreSQL supporting in-memory UNDO and functionality similar to Oracle Flashback Database.
- Designed and prototyped Oracle-compatible PL/SQL bulk operations support (FORALL/BULK COLLECT).
- Designed and prototyped Oracle-compatible implicit DDL commit support.
- Designed and prototyped a modular SQL compatibility framework.
- Designed and prototyped asynchronous I/O support.
- Designed and prototyped Oracle-compatible query hinting.
- Designed and prototyped several built-in Oracle packages.
- Designed and prototyped a web-services gateway for database functions, packages, and procedures.
- Designed and prototyped a T-SQL to PL/SQL translator using ANTLR.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented an adaptive background writer.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented an improved hybrid LRU/Clock-sweep buffer manager.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented EnterpriseDB DynaTune; a dynamic tuning engine for PostgreSQL.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented a shared query caching framework.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented Oracle-compatible public synonyms.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented Oracle-compatible hierarchical queries.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented several Oracle-compatible catalog views.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented SQL data type mappings.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented an Oracle-compatible runtime instrumentation and tracing architecture.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented Oracle-compatible database links.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented Oracle-compatible ROWID support.
Dec 2004 - Aug 2005
Sr. Web Administrator (Webmaster)
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
As the Senior Web Administrator (Webmaster) of TVI, it was my responsibility to manage a six-person web team in custom development, support, and administration of TVI s SunGard SCT Luminis Portal and CMS products as-well-as build custom interfaces to our Banner ERP system.
- Led the institution-wide TVI Web Team.
- Led the CIT Web Services Team of 6 web developers/designers.
- Acted as a key member of the TVI Web Strategic Team.
- Presented projects and demonstrations to TVI s Executive Team and Information Technology Strategic Team.
- Acted as Project Manager of the TVI Website Redesign Project.
- Worked directly with directors, managers, senior-level techs, and departments on institutional web projects.
- Acted as Technical Lead for our custom-developed web application for TVI s T2-based parking system.
- Led a team in defining standards for look-and-feel, accessibility, development, and naming conventions.
- Modeled, designed, and led development of TVI s PHP/PostgreSQL-based Technical Equipment Database (TED).
- Modeled, designed, and led development of TVI s PHP/PostgreSQL-based Firewall Change Request System (FCRS).
- Modeled, designed, and led development of TVI s PHP/PostgreSQL/Java-based Automated Password Reset System (APR) which provided identity management and account provisioning services across disparate TVI systems.
- Designed the Web Service architecture used by the Automated Password Reset system.
- Trained web developers and DBAs on PostgreSQL and Oracle SQL syntax, stored procedures, and triggers.
- Designed and implemented TVI s PostgreSQL-based ANDREW search engine.
- Worked with the CIT director, security officer, and managers to define TVI’s project management process.
- Led an open source initiative to release APR, TED, and FCRS to the public under the GPL.
- Worked with Oracle DBAs to integrate several web-based systems with Banner.
- Assisted fellow developers in optimizing SQL queries, stored procedures, and views.
- Deployed PostgreSQL as our first-line database for all non-Banner data.
- Worked with CIT directors, managers, UNIX administrators, and DBAs on the Oracle Redesign Project to define TVI s new Oracle, iAS, and Banner environment.
- One of four reviewers on TVI s RFP review panel for the Network Storage Project.
Aug 2003 - Dec 2004
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
My position as UNIX Administrator at TVI has given me the ability to work with various individual teams in CIT. Additionally, it has given me the opportunity to become familiar with several systems being used at TVI.
- Worked directly with seniors and managers on critical TVI projects.
- Successfully led the deployment of the INB platform on Solaris.
- Successfully maintained the production INB environment for the past nine months.
- Developed documentation, checklists, and standards for an OFA-compliant installation of Oracle Database and Oracle Internet Application Server at TVI.
- Took a leadership role in leading a team to identify and resolve critical issues with TVI s mail gateways after the deployment of the Luminis system.
- Took a leadership role in identifying and fixing TVI s student signup system.
- Successfully led the migration of INB from Solaris to Linux.
- Worked with DBAs and programmers to develop the form synchronization process used for INB.
- Designed, developed, and deployed a system used to maintain UNIX and Luminis account synchronization using Java, PostgreSQL, and LDAP.
- Developed an online system used by TVI s Public Information Office to review Luminis account statistics and activity.
- Planned and implemented the migration of the login system from NIS to LDAP as well as developed maintenance utilities for managing accounts from LDAP.
- Submitted a patch for uPortal 2.1 so the web team could test uPortal channel removal functionality.
Apr 2003 - May 2004
Chief Information Officer (Interim Chief Technology Officer)
OasisJet Fuel Inc. & OasisJet, Inc.
OasisJet was a contract fuel company that partnered with Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) to provide low-cost jet fuel. OasisJet s pricing model allowed corporations, air ambulance companies, cargo companies, and private citizens to purchase JET-A fuel at prices cheaper than unleaded gas. As I had initially worked on the OasisJet software for a consulting firm, they brought me on full-time to continue development and lead their IT strategy.As a startup company, my position at OasisJet encompassed various aspects of business, technology, and the application of technology to solve business problems and drive efficiency. Efficiency improvements included the streamlining of information, data, and reporting flows to accounting and administration. The data flow implementation I designed gave us the ability to make decisive business decisions more quickly and more accurately.
- Worked closely with accounting department on architecting information flow between disparate IT systems.
- Solely set up, tuned, and maintained the company s database instances.
- Managed, designed, and assisted development of the company s custom ERP & CRM system.
- Worked closely with our Director of Marketing & Sales to develop a single, consistent, and well-planned direction for both print and electronic marketing.
- Solely developed an information flow strategy with our company s insurance partners.
- Based on information provided by our insurance business partners, I solely developed an insurance qualification system for our customers, which included pilots, aircraft, and certain health information.
- Developed business system interface strategies including SOAP-based web services with our nationwide business partners.
- Developed OasisJet openNav, an application similar to NavPak, which allowed pilots to enter waypoints and aircraft information. Based upon the information, the system would dynamically map trip legs on a United States map using data gathered by the US Geological Survey (USGS) with topology rasters from the US National Atlas. By interfacing with our FBO provider tables, the system would then plot the locations within 1/10th of their trip duration.
- Designed and added initial support for flight following and real-time graphical weather mapping based on METAR data to openNav.
- Worked with insurance partners to increase the effectiveness and security of the netIdent system to meet their needs and requirements.
- Planned the company s strategy and trust relationship for the netIdent system between all business partners and clients.
- Redesigned the OasisJet website layout, making it more user-friendly and user-customizable.
Jul 2003 - Apr 2004
PatchWork Systems LLC.
Similar in functionality to RingMaster, PAT provided automated Oracle Applications patch analysis and installation on all supported Oracle Applications platforms.PAT was PatchWork Systems flagship product and was originally designed to meet the needs of the Oracle Applications (version 10) administrators at Sandia National Labs. Later, it was licensed from Sandia by PatchWorks, upgraded for use with 11i, and sold to commercial Apps users. Initially developed as a set of PL/SQL packages and several C applications, we were moving toward using 100% Java when I left.
- Designed the PatchWork Systems logo.
- Designed the PatchWork Systems web site.
- Solely designed and developed the PAT Java Installer and batch/shell scripts.
- Wrote the initial PAT installation documentation for the Java Installer.
- Rewrote the C-based PAT FTP patch download utility in Java.
- Rewrote the C-based queue monitoring & execution daemon in Java.
- Rewrote the C-based form analysis utility in Java.
- Rewrote the PL/SQL menu system in Java.
- Debugged and fixed several Pro*C applications.
- Improved the performance of several analysis tools.
Oct 2001 - Sep 2002
Senior Lead Developer
Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc.--A Johnson & Johnson Company
Ethicon Endo-Surgery manufactures minimally invasive surgical products that are used by physicians worldwide. When they decided to migrate their internal ERP system (Symmetry) from a client-server PowerBuilder application to a web-application in PHP, I was contracted to be senior lead developer of the first migration, the Automated Quality Record ( AQR ) module. AQR, an ISO 9000 compliant quality system, had to be completely redesigned due to major business changes derived from new requirements after their acquisition of a vascular access company. I acted as a senior lead developer by working with our project manager, key business partners, and fellow developers in researching, planning, and designing the implementation.
- Led a team of 6 developers for a multilingual, mission-critical ISO 9000 quality system rewrite from PowerBuilder to PHP (used in 5 sites within the US and Mexico)
- Led the design and development of an effective and user-friendly web-based UI.
- Played an active role in database architecture and data modeling.
- Personally executed load testing and transaction cost analysis of the web environment and provided detailed reports of the results.
- Personally designed, modeled, and developed a multi-language translation method for both static and dynamic text/data using XML and database tables.
- Led the design and development of a role-based security model.
- Personally designed custom application graphics and logos.
- Solely developed the application prototype.
- Worked with Senior Software Analysts to design and develop an electronic signature system compliant with 21 CFR Part 11.
- Assisted in the design and development of triggers, stored procedures, and packages for Oracle8i.
- Participated in developing solutions to HP-UX, Apache, PHP, and other related problems.
I ve began using Postgres in 1999 as a DBA and a developer. Starting in 2001, I started doing internal development on Postgres and, in addition to several community-related patches, I ve done significant architectural and development work with Postgres for EnterpriseDB.
I’ve been using Oracle since 1996 and am intimately familiar with every version of Oracle since version 7. While I’ve used Oracle as both a DBA and a developer, I specialize in Oracle Internals and performance-related tuning.