I currently work as an organisational psychologist for the ANS division of Isavia. Isavia is the air navigation service provider (ANSP) for flights over the North-Atlantic Ocean, Iceland and Greenland as well as providing tower services for Keflavik, Reykjavík and Akureyri airports.
My focus lies in psychological assessment of applicants and employee metrics. I believe it is necessary to not only review the effectiveness of selection tests (e.g. calculating their predictive power) but also consider how cost-effective they are for the organisation. Psychometric tools can be incredibly powerful and profitable for an organisation - but only if used correctly.
Notable selection projects
- Project lead in selecting the first ever Greenlandic air traffic controllers for Kangerlussuaq airport (TWR and APP). This was a joint project between Isavia and Mittarfeqarfiit in January 2017.
- Project lead on selecting the Icelandic air traffic controllers students in 2014 - 2017 (TWR, APP and ACP/ACS). This intense application procedure involves a variety of psychometric tests, a work sample exercise, a psychological interview and oral language proficiency exams. This is repeated once a year.
- Project lead in using a game-based assessment for the first time in air traffic controller selection. Before implementation a job analysis and profile needed to be mapped unto the assessment metrics and after the implementation the game-based assessment scores were compared with other selection criteria.
- Project lead in the complete overhaul of the selection process of ATC students in 2014. Combined with a change in training methods we have reduced the student failure rate by more than half in addition taking in more students each year.
- Both lead and team member in various initiatives aimed to increase the number of applicants for ATC student positions. Currently the total number of applicants has increased by 250% compared to average applicant number in 2010-2013.
In addition I am a project manager for the ANS division and lead or take part in numerous projects. Examples of such projects include the implementation of Just Culture Policy and procedures, overseeing projects connected to Eurocontrol's Safety Culture Survey and internal employee surveys, measurement and increases in workforce productivity and long and short term staffing planning for the ANS division. I also assist the training department by providing coaching and support for students and work with trainers and L&D specialists on Team Resource Management and Human Factor subjects.