Provided the technical leadership and motivation in designing 11 new PCAs for a server that went from concept design to production manufacturing in just 10 months.
- Awarded 2 patents as a co-inventor for this design that reduced physical volume by 60% and cost by 25%, compared to the previous product.
Led the transition from a domestic manufacturer to a Japanese design and manufacturing partner (NEC Corp.).
- Coordinated the changes in the ECAD libraries, design methods, and documentation to meet the new assembly requirements and the design schedule.
- Defined the method of communication for pre-production engineering and manufacturing data to be shared between Unisys and NEC.
- Interfaced with NEC engineers via Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Testability (DFT) reviews that bridged the language barrier, conveyed the design intentions clearly, and merged the design features with the NEC manufacturing processes.
Managed the conversion of 40 PCAs in only 6 months to meet the European Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive without interruption to revenue or customer deliveries.
- Coordinated the efforts of 15 resources from multiple geographies across the Supply Chain and Engineering groups.
- Developed the software and implementation processes, which supported over 1,300 new components, and updates to the schematics, documentation, and Bills of Materials for each PCA.
Guided a team of 6 engineers and outside consultants to automate a manual system for Electronic Computer-Aided Design (ECAD) model development and checking.
- Brought specifically onto the project to ensure the schedule and $150K budget were met.
- Launched the system to over 75 users at 4 sites with a presentation and live demonstration.
- Provided system support and user training after launch.
- Supervised a staff of engineers and designers in developing Printed Circuit Boards and Assemblies (PCB/PCA) for mission-critical computer servers that delivered 99.997% availability.
- Directed project activities of team members, which included a variety of engineering disciplines, across multiple sites.
- Collaborated with domestic and international suppliers using Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Testability (DFT), and Cost (DFC), resulting in high quality designs at the lowest cost and risk.
- Generated schedules together with the other engineering departments for all development stages, from concept through prototype testing.
- Defined, planned, and tracked project milestones assignments within the department.
- Conducted performance reviews, contributed to department and employee objective creation, and recognized employees for significant achievements.
- Interviewed and hired interns and engineers for the department. Coached, or assigned senior engineers to mentor all new employees.
- Initiated software enhancements to CAD systems and work processes to increase efficiencies, improving design quality, the user experience, and cycle times.