Recipient of The Lehman Strauss Award for Excellence in Expository Preaching
Graduate Course Work
Grace Graduate School of Theology
Valley 4th Church
I currently serve as Senior Pastor for this church of 500 attendees in a suburb of Spokane, Washington, delivering preaching/teaching, teaching and developing the Elder team, working with the Pastoral Staff, training emerging leaders and teams and providing administrative oversight and pastoral care.
(500+ attendees. 8 paid staff)
- The twin focuses of my ministry are Expository Preaching and Leadership Development. I share administrative and pastoral care responsibilities (counseling, grief and hospital care, funerals, weddings) with other pastoral staff.
- I work in a coaching relationship with Board-level leaders focusing on leadership development. I also lead in the Vision-Casting process church-wide along with other elders and pastoral staff members.
- The church has experienced continued growth in attendance, new members and baptisms while regaining momentum in giving and volunteer staffing since my arrival ( over 20% growth in worship attendance for the Core Congregation). This follows nearly a decade of numerical and operational decline.
- In 2016 I entered into a year long process of leadership and analysis with our Elders and Pastoral Staff to clarify elements of Mission,Vision,Core Values and strategic organizational change. That process is set to be delivered in a congregational vision and strategic plan in early 2017.
Grace Bible Church
I served as Teaching Pastor for a church of 700 attendees in suburban Sacramento, delivering preaching/teaching, coaching the Leadership Team, working with the Pastoral Staff, training emerging leaders and teams and providing administrative oversight and pastoral care.
( Three congregations as one church / 700 attendees / 6 full time staff )
- I provided preaching, staff direction, pastoral care and leadership coaching to the Core Congregation of this unique church community comprised of primarily Asian American believers. The twin focuses of my ministry were Expository Preaching and Leadership Development. I shared administrative and pastoral care responsibilities (counseling, grief and hospital care, funerals, weddings) with other pastoral staff.
- I worked in a coaching relationship with Board-level leaders focusing on leadership development. I also shared Vision-Casting responsibility church-wide with other senior pastoral staff members.
- I led a Master Teaching Team comprised of the lead teachers/small group community leaders for all three congregations. I coached these team members in developing spiritual disciplines, Biblical depth, and skills/effectiveness in content delivery and outcomes in all adult teaching venues church-wide.
- I met weekly with fellow Pastoral Staff members to manage pastoral ministry issues and operational decisions for all three congregations.
- I coached and taught the Executive Ministry Team (EMT) to oversee multiple ministries.
- In concert with other pastoral leaders, I supported our mid-level ministry leaders (60 leaders in 8 Ministry Teams) toward greater effectiveness church-wide, e.g. hitting a near record number of decisions in Children's Summer Outreaches, completing construction of a worship center for our adopted church in Juan Montalvo Ecuador, attaining record levels of financial giving toward missions, creating and sustaining new ministries to singles, young marrieds and new believers, as well as concert/event outreaches.
- In 2010 I worked with a 25 member Strategic Leadership Task Force in a six month series of training sessions to clarify elements of Mission,Vision,Core Values and strategic organizational change. This was done in partnership with The Malphurs Group ( Church Leadership Consultants).
- The church experienced continued growth in attendance, new members and baptisms while retaining momentum in giving and volunteer staffing. We saw nearly 20% growth in worship attendance for the Core Congregation after my arrival, along with a $100K+ increase in annual giving. An added worship service became needed to accommodate the growth in attendance.
- I first joined the ministry as a Transitional (Interim) Pastor. In this role I coached the Chairman of the Executive Board/Senior Pastor Search Committee in both the search process and in the resolution of structural/philosophical issues to prepare for their next senior leader. The search process was successfully completed and I was subsequently asked by the church leadership to remain with the organization in the role of Teaching Pastor.
Platform Speaker/Leadership and Communications Consultant
Christian Speaker/Leadership and Communications Consultant
Platform speaker and leadership consultant for both ministry and corporate clients for over a decade.
- Traveled statewide in California as Director of Church Relations and speaker at large for The Capitol Resource Institute/California Family Impact, a leading pro-family public policy organization. Hosted pastors conferences and presented on pro-family topics in such venues as Biola University, Shasta Bible College, Trinity School of Law, Hope University, William Jessup University, Bethel Seminary San Diego, The Values Advocacy Council, and various districts of The California State Legislature.
- Former Prayer Retreat Leader and speaker for Strategic Renewal International
- Guest Bible teacher, retreat speaker, and luncheon and platform keynoter for a variety of audiences focusing on family topics, cultural issues, personal renewal and marketplace ministry.
- Sample Northern California Speaking Venues: Peninsula Christian Fellowship, Antelope Springs Church, Westgate Church, Shelter Cove Community Church, Lakeside Church, Arcade Church, The City on the Hill Conferences, The Fellowship Chamber, The Christian Business Alliance, The Imagine Prayer Conference, Contra Costa Ministers Conference, The SCOPE Conference of Parent Educators, CBM Second Wind Ministry Conference, Catch a Falling Star Pro-Life Gala, California Capitol Pro-Life Breakfast, The GodWorks Experience.
- Independent leadership and communications consultant/trainer for a variety of corporate and non-profit clients such as Sutter Hospitals, US Online, American River Bankshares,New Horizons Computer Learning Centers, The Navigators/STS and Alternatives Crisis Pregnancy Centers. Marketing and advertising consultant for a host of smaller companies. Several years of additional experience as a sales/marketing professional in the corporate world.
Christian Radio Talk Show Host/On Air Personality/Program Director
Salem Radio Network
Hosted a live, two hour daily Christian Radio Talk Show for Salem Communications, the nation’s largest Christian broadcasting company, on AM 710 KFIA in Sacramento. The program was one of the few Major- Market (Top 25) talk shows in the country that approached issues of culture and politics from a Biblical perspective. Continued to create and voice a daily radio commentary for Salem on KFIA.
- Show doubled the station's Afternoon Drive Listening Audience over its multiple year run and hit the highest rating share in 10 year day-part history (per Arbitron).
- Show became a favorite stop for guests like Chuck Colson, Albert Mohler, Reg McNeal, Lee Strobel, Anne Graham Lotz and many others to discuss key issues relevant to the church at large.
- As host, I was privileged to become a nightly voice to thousands of listeners on the issues of worldview, Christian ethics, cultural engagement and personal renewal.
- Had the opportunity to become a featured guest on various national/regional radio programs and network affiliate television news shows as a commentator on Christianity and culture.
- Served as regular guest host for Salem's conservative talk station, AM 1380 KTKZ, in Sacramento .
- Featured as a resident blogger on family issues for Crosswalk.com and the Sacramento Union.
- Testified before the California State Legislature on legislation affecting religious rights.
- Participating broadcaster, Capitol Clear Speak, live from the California State Capitol building, 2004-06
- Attending broadcaster, White House Briefing on Cultural Affairs, Washington D.C. 2003, 2005
- Selected to join a group of fellow Talk Show Hosts from across the United States on a Good Will Tour to encourage the persecuted church in Nigeria, West Africa 2005
- Continued to host a daily radio commentary on Salem's AM 710 KFIA , and occasionally served as guest host and voice talent for Salem's Sacramento and San Francisco affiliate stations.
Project Lead Pastor
Next Generation Churches
Worked in a bi-vocational capacity as Lead Pastor in a church planting project with Next Generation Churches.
- Served as a bi-vocational Lead Pastor for a church planting project targeted in Elk Grove California, a suburb of Sacramento.
- Developed a Core Group, Leadership Team, worship/AV operations, funding, publicity vehicles, online presence, ministry teams and temporary facilities, all from scratch. Led the ministry launch.
- Guided the ministry from a commitment to clear and practical Bible teaching and the exploration of Biblical responses to life's challenges. Targeted un-churched and de-churched people.
- Led door to door canvassing, networking and concert/special event outreaches in target community.
Valley Bible Church
Served this church of 300 as Senior Pastor in a rural location in the San Joaquin Valley, bringing much needed staff changes and new outreaches into an ethnically diverse community.
(300 attendees/3 full time staff)
- Worked to restore unity and relational health to an Elder Boardthat had experienced philosophical division over the preceding pastor.
- Focused strongly on an expository teaching and preaching ministry in multiple teaching outlets weekly.
- Saw demonstrable numerical growth in attendance and baptisms.
- Led in the successful search and hiring process for a new Youth Pastor. This successful long term hire took the church's Youth Ministry to a new level of creativity, outreach and effective discipleship. Local on-campus ministry, short term mission projects, concert and event evangelism were all increased, resulting in numerous new decisions for Christ.
- Created new citywide outreach effortsincluding an evangelistic concert ministry and outreach Bible studies in the local prison, a weekly radio program heard throughout the Southern San Joaquin Valley, and the city's first ever Hispanic language outreach event involving several area churches and featuring Argentinean evangelist Alberto Mottesi.
- Created a new part-time ministry staff position allowing a former missionary from Latin America to work from our church campus to build a lifestyle evangelism ministry in the Hispanic community.
Whittier Hills Baptist Church
Ministered in this church of 400 attendees in urban Los Angeles as Senior Pastor, saw both a successful capital campaign and a building program completed and also implemented staffing changes that shifted the congregational culture into a new and contemporary worship direction.
(400 attendees/8 full time staff)
- Arrived to find the church holding services in a rented high school due to the loss of their building through an arson fire. Sought to refocus the congregation on a ministry vision and worked with a Staff/Board team in a successful capital campaign to rebuild and expand the worship center.
- Worked with the Board/Staff to develop a Vision/Mission/Core Values Statement for the next era of ministry and established Five Year Operational Goals for all ministry areas.
- Led in the search and hiring process for a new Minister of Worship to lead the church from a traditional worship style into a more contemporary experience. This successful long term hire led to a dynamic and positive shift in the worship culture, a dramatic increase in the involvement of gifted people in worship ministry, and a new pattern of evangelistic outreach into the city via concerts and guest artist events.
- Sought to affirm and empower the existing Youth and CE ministry staff to work from their individual strengths and personal vision. This resulted in an expanded staff of youth ministry interns, new efforts in event-style and on-campus evangelism to high school and college populations, a higher level of student involvement in short term missions experiences, greater levels of children's and adult level teacher training, improved volunteer staffing ratios and the development of community outreach events such as block-party style outreaches to young families with children.
- Was privileged to see demonstrable numerical growth in attendance, new memberships and baptisms.
Bethany Bible Fellowship
Assumed Senior Pastoral leadership of this newer church of 500 in suburban Orange County and led in the redefining of the pastoral leadership role, set ministry values and goals, and successfullly reordered and rehired staff to enhance delivery of ministry to families.
(500 attendees/K-8 Academy/8 full time staff/15 paid school staff)
- Worked with the Search Team and Board to re-engineer the role of Senior Pastor to one of devotion to expository teaching/preaching and influencing leaders vs. the previous role of preaching and heavy pastoral care involvement. This was done in order to better facilitate leadership in this larger church of 500.
- Sought to develop and communicate a Biblical Vision/Mission Statement and Ministry Goals to the congregation. Worked to align both paid and volunteer staff with the Biblical elements of those commitments.
- Collaborated with Staff and Board leaders in an effort to purchase a permanent property and facility for the church and its K-8 Academy. The organization ultimately remained in a leased facility.
- Led in the successful search and hiring process for a new Minister of Christian Education. This process brought an individual onto the staff who made a solid impact in bringing a new standard of excellence, improved teacher training and enhanced quality levels to the children's ministry.
- Stabilized and established an uptrend in worship attendance and new members.
Grace Brethren Church
Began my ministry career in this large church of 3000 attendees by building a successful citywide ministry to college students, then by leading an aggressively evangelistic on-campus ministry at Long Beach State University. Completed my years at GBC by serving as an Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries carrying a broad spectrum of leadership and teaching responsibilities including oversight of multiple paid and unpaid staff . Eventually launched from this position of service into Senior Pastoral ministry.
(3000+attendees/20 full time staff)
- Directed an Adult Ministries Team of 6 paid staff and as many non-paid leaders in leading Adult Age Level Classes (ALCs) and Small Group ministries. Responsible for handling special counseling concerns and church discipline issues for all adult age groups. Also responsible for budget development and implementation as well as leadership performance issues and hiring and termination of paid ministry staff in concert with the Adult Ministry Board chair and Senior Pastor.
- Taught a Young Married Age Level Class and built it to 100 in attendance. Coached a volunteer leadership team in this ALC to develop discipleship and accountability groups for men and women (over 50% participation) as well as a regular series of outreach events and retreats. The former leader of this team is now a full time pastor.
- Supervised a Pre Marital Counseling Program that shepherded between 10 and 20 couples each year into successful marriages.
- Had administrative responsibility for a Foreign Missions Department involving personnel and budgetary decisions for approximately 20 full time missionaries.
- Responsible as Event Director for a wide variety of church-wide events including family conferences, outreach concerts, leadership summits and issues forums.
- Filled the pulpit in the absence of the Senior Pastor, and spoke at retreats, conferences.
- Hosted a weekly radio program.
- Prior to assuming my responsibilities as Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries, I served on a unique team of paid ministry staff from GBC that collaborated to design a radically evangelistic college ministry from the ground up. This college ministry would eventually involve over 300 students from multiple campus communities and influence several thousand students each year through apologetics and issues lectures, discipleship groups, dorm Bible studies, concerts and public events as well as through individual evangelism training. My principal role on the team was to direct the organization's on-campus ministry at Cal State Long Beach. Our method eventually served as a model for other large church campus ministries on the West Coast. A number of former students are serving God full time in ministry today as a result of their foundational training and experience in this ministry.
- I also formed and led the worship team for the Sunday morning college worship experience at GBC, directed multiple annual student retreats and conferences, and served as a team leader/translator for two evangelistic short term mission projects at the National University of Mexico, Mexico City.
- Began my ministry career by assuming leadership of a Friday Night Citywide Outreach to College Students and building it to up to 150 in attendance. Led worship and then developed a worship team. The ministry was designed for creative evangelism and as an intensive training environment for collegians on issues of apologetics, Biblical world-view, and practical theology. I served as lead Bible teacher and trained a team of students to teach classes on the Scriptures, relational issues and apologetics.