Executive quality, safety, environmental leadership professional who has deployed successful lean six sigma, regulatory compliance and operations management systems for recognized world-leading businesses.Proven record of accomplishment in reducing cost, managing risk, and improving quality and operations outcomes.Experienced in adding value through strategic deployment processes and by leading people to create a winning organization.
May 2008 - Present
Sr. Director Quality and Operations Shared Services
JLG industries is the world leader in the design, manufacture, sales and service of aerial work platform and tele-material handler equipment.
Sr. Director Quality & Operations Shared Services(May 2008 to March 2009)
I led manufacturing quality, product quality, quality systems and standards, customer quality, environmental compliance, employee safety, and new facility construction projects around the world.I planned, hired and directed a team of 40 professionals managing a multi-million-dollar budget to improve JLG products, cost structure, and to reduce and manage liabilities.
- Established new facility deployment processes for operations centers in Brazil and China including green energy assessment.
- Modernized employee TIP program and Quality Incentive Plans.
- Launched Safety, Environmental and Facility management programs around SMART goals resulting in best ever safety record.
- Created JLG Customer Quality facing organization and supporting processes that changed the focus of quality from internal to external.
- Directed the development of warranty analytics and integration with the quality function resulting in improved warranty recovery.
May 2007 - May 2008
Global Director of Quality
JLG Industries, Inc.
Director of Quality – JLG Global(May 2007 to May 2008)
I directed supplier quality, quality systems (ISO, QMS), customer/field response processes and operations quality strategy and staffs.I benchmarked “world class” businesses to introduce “best in class” quality initiatives and deployed the JLG Strategic Quality Improvement Initiative.I developed the strategy and deployed the first corporate wide JLG quality function in more than a decade, including consolidated metrics, project management plans, and the development of new processes and organizational structures.
- Deployed low cost country quality systems and sourcing strategy for new operations in Romania and China (welding, fabrications, castings).
- Created first independent Quality Systems and Standards Organization within JLG having responsibility for leading product quality improvement.
- Consolidated supplier quality, manufacturing quality, and quality systems under one umbrella organization resulting in improved responsiveness and product quality.
- Introduced Quality Resolution Improvement Process (QIRP) meetings to all manufacturing locations resulting in a record DPH (defects per hundred) improvement of more than 50% while reducing program budget over 20%.
May 2006 - May 2007
Global Director of Supply Chain Quality Assurance
JLG Industries, Inc.
Global Director of Supply Chain Quality Assurance(May 2006 to May 2007)
I developed JLGs first comprehensive supplier quality program including corollary supplier performance metrics and supply chain processes.I hired the team and directed creation of the materials, training and tools for the new program.
- Managed development of a tool rich, supplier enabling SQA web site that reduced staffing requirements while improving supplier responsiveness.
- Teamed and published the first comprehensive JLG Suppler Certification and Supplier Capability Assessment processes described by suppliers as world class.
- Developed JLG First Article strategy and processes (inspection, testing, discrepant material).
- Deployed SQA processes in China and Europe resulting in significant cost savings.
- Supplier PPM improved 37% in six months, warranty reduced 6.4%, open SCARs reduced 62%.
- Lead integration of JLG and Oshkosh quality systems following acquisition of JLG by Oshkosh Truck Corporation.
Jun 2004 - May 2006
Director of Lean Six Sigma
JLG Industries, Inc.
Director of Lean Six Sigma(June 2004 to May 2006)
I directed development and implemented the JLG Six Sigma program, initially in manufacturing and later across the whole of JLG. I directed development of program structures and processes, managed Six Sigma Belts and lean manager, and deployed Lean Six Sigma training and communications strategy and web tool.
- Certified 12 Black Belts and 40 Green Belts.
- First year savings of $8.4M: Multiyear savings were in excess of $20M.
- I was recipient of the JLG CEO Award in 2005.
Jan 2004 - Jun 2004
JLG Industries, Inc.
Quality Leader - Shippensburg(January 2004 to June 2004)
I was responsible for manufacturing operations quality at the JLG Shippensburg facility. I implemented a Plan, Do, Check, Act cycle at JLG’s highest volume manufacturing facility.
- Developed and led Six Sigma training program for manufacturing management.
- Significantly reduced manufacturing defects on the high volume production line in 3 months.
- Introduced the initial process quality database management tool.
Sep 2001 - Jan 2004
Virtual Crossings Corporation
Virtual Crossings Corporation was a process management and consulting company that enables corporate transitions out of brick and mortar in favor of effective mobility solutions.Business Process Improvement work was part of every solution.
I developed the concept, business plan and started a company offering facility rightsizing and mobility services solutions.
- Profitable in first full year operation.
- Major clients included General Electric, Ames True Temper and Medtronic, Inc.
Jan 2000 - Sep 2001
Director of Finance Process Improvement
GE Capital/IT Solutions
GE Capital/IT Solutions was a multi-billion-dollar subsidiary of General Electric Company that provides computer products, services, consulting and life cycle solutions to clients world wide.
Director of Finance Operations/Process Improvement (January 2000 to September 2001)
I directed development of cost reduction strategies and process improvements in finance and facilities functions.I was the "Bullet Train" Leader for the corporate strategic facilities reorganization project (rightsizing brick & mortar toward development of mobility solutions) that helped restore profitability in this multi-billion dollar value added reseller of computer solutions.
- Built six new locations and directed closure of 55 service and operations centers in 18 months resulting in substantially improved cost structure.
- Managed process development and finance issues necessary to outsource purchasing, shipping, warehousing and light manufacturing operations.
Jul 1997 - Jan 2000
Master Black Belt
GE Capital/IT Solutions
Master Black Belt (July 1997 to January 2000)
I created and managed a "Six Sigma" organization in the GEC/ITS Atlantic Region (annual revenues of $1BB) and later for the GEC/ITS Supply Chain Management function.I developed the Six-Sigma Success Management Plan for GEC/ITS largest region where I hired and managed a staff of nine professionals and served as liaison to Atlantic Region Assistant Vice President.
- Led development of supplier management strategy valued at $9.8MM in annual net savings.
- Reduced process time in the GEC/ITS Atlantic Operations Center by 26%, improved productivity by 13%, and reduced per unit costs by 16%: Net savings of $1.2MM per year.
- I was a GE top performer and recipient of performance based stock option awards annually.
Jul 1989 - Jul 1997
Manager - Safety, Environmental, Quality
A subsidiary of Alcoa, Inc., Eastalco was a multi-billion dollar, 850-employee primary aluminum smelter and cast house operation situated on 2,300 acres in Maryland.The company was an ISO-9000 registered manufacturer of high purity tee, slab and ingot.
Quality and Training/Environmental Compliance/Safety Manager(1989 to 1997)
In positions of increasing responsibility, I developed successful environmental compliance strategies, training programs to convert manufacturing operations to a self-directed workforce, ISO certification, and occupational safety and health programs.I managed staff of 17 professionals and exempt employees, directed the work of eight team members in delivering team skills workshops, and an HR strategic plan.
- Obtained ISO-9000 (1994) certification for manufacturing operations.
- Designed the training plan and delivered self-directed 40-hour work team program for 750 management and union employees resulting in a self-directed workforce.
- Launched Eastalco’s first Industrial Hygiene program.
- Improved environmental compliance by 95% in three years resulting in zero costs.
- Appointed member of the Governor’s State Water Quality Advisory Board.
1985 - 1986
Master of Studies in Law
Vermont Law School
1982 - 1985
Master of Science
1978 - 1982
Bachelor of Arts
Continuing education and computer skills inventory.
ASQ is the world's leading membership organization devoted to quality.