- Developed and executed marketing communications plan for BCE Emergis, growing revenues from $4M to $43M. Business Unit revenues were lagging for an e-invoicing software solution that depended heavily on transaction revenues. Developed comprehensive adoption marketing program. Negotiated co-marketing agreements with resellers such as Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase and Bank One. Generated revenue growth of $39M in less than four years,attaining clients such as Kohler, Lowes, Pepsi, Nissan, PPG and Equifax just to name a few.
- Turned around negative image/branding perception for InvoiceLink, eliciting several acquisition offers. Start-up had an innovative patent-pending solution, but had developed a negative image in the marketplace. Recruited to launch and revitalize company image/branding. Developed and implemented aggressive branding, advertising and marketing campaign successfully acquiring Microsoft as second client. Company purchased just 18 months later for $88M.
- Produced and launched new advertising campaign, growing revenues to $615M for Guilford Mills. Upon promotion to director, developed and executed new image platform for the company and all apparel lines.
- Launched start-up advertising agency, growing Promotions by JLK to 35 clients. Began ad agency with two accounts. Managed staff of five. Developed and executed advertising and sales initiatives to gain new clients. Leveraged engagement as Publisher for Greensboro Area Chamber of Commerce Magazine to grow client base.
Sep 1979 - Dec 1985
University of North Carolina - Greensboro
Literary survey and creative writing
Apr 2004 - Present
Ad agency (B2B/B2G/B2C) and consulting services (freelance and on-site contract engagements). Marketing communications, public relations, media planning/relations and events. Business development: strategic planning, branding, market analysis and positioning, collateral development and Internet-based marketing initiatives. A sampling of extensive onsite/remote engagements includes:
¨ AT&T Government Solutions, Vienna, VA. Eight month onsite contract centered upon competitive analysis, messaging and positioning, branding, sales collateral both Web and print, social media, employee/corporate communications and RFP projects.
¨ Dassault Systemes (ENOVIA), Charlotte, NC. A $1B French-based engineering software firm. Four month remote consultingengagement centered upon revitalizing the ENOVIA.com website to increase sales through design/artistic direction, best practices, functionality, user experience, branding, navigation and content.
¨ American Systems, Chantilly, VA.Five monthonsite consulting engagementsupporting federal and commercial sector sales efforts in addition to corporate communications. Engagement scope includes: new branding, positioning, website, sales collateral as well as external and internal corporate communications initiatives.
¨ GTSI, Chantilly, VA. An $850M IT infrastructure reseller to federal, state and government municipalities business sectors. Four month onsite engagement centered upon research and analysis of marketplace trends and translating that analysis into strategic positioning, whitepapers, case studies, sales collateral and website content.
Feb 2003 - Apr 2004
Director, Marketing Communications
Administered $1.5M budget. With a staff of five, directed marketing communications supporting all five business units throughout North America and parts of Europe.
- Drove development and execution of marketing communications plans supporting all five business units.
- Led new visual platform roll-out for advertising, sales collateral and presentation tools.
Sep 2000 - Feb 2003
Senior Marketing Manager - ePayments B.U.
Chief strategist and architect for ePayments Business Unit marketing communications programs throughout North America. Negotiation and execution of co-marketing agreements with Bank of America, Bank One, and JPMorgan Chase.
- Led all post-acquisition integration of marketing communications support materials to include sales collateral, website/intranet content and sales presentations.
- Executive director for company’s first marketing demo to support e-Invoicing sales.
Apr 1999 - Sep 2000
Senior Marketing Analyst
InvoiceLink [Acquired by Bell Canada]
Internet-based software company acquired by BCE Emergis in 2000 for $88M. Managed $2.7M marketing communications budget. Chief strategist and director of initial company launch through to acquisition. Directed branding and positioning, public relations, media relations, investor relations, ad agency recruitment, media buying, trade show initiatives and proposal development.
- Founding principle recruited to launch company with responsibility for business plan development, advertising, public relations, investor relations and industry analyst communications.
- Executed competitive marketplace analysis along with messaging and company image development.
- Launched aggressive industry analyst communications program that uplifted company value and ultimate acquisition price.
Apr 1994 - Apr 1999
Promotions by JKL
Founded start-up advertising agency/business publishing operation with full P&L responsibility. Working with a staff of five, directed planning, media buying, artistic direction, writing, event planning and account service/sales. Major business sectors included: assisted living, industrial electronics, furniture, real estate development, retail chains, manufacturing and nonprofits. Business mix was balanced between corporate and marketing communications.
- Grew company from two initial accounts to more than 35 throughout NC.
- Publisher/editor/writer/designer for Greensboro Area Chamber of Commerce magazine for five years.
Jan 1991 - Apr 1994
Director, Marketing Communications & Public Relations
Director, Marketing Communications and Public Relations, 1991 – 1994. Directed all apparel advertising and marketing communications. Managed staff of three and a $1.2M budget. Corporate event director.
- Directed concept development and roll-out of new company logo and visual image platform and campaign.
Apr 1987 - Jan 1991
Responsible for writing, editing, news photography, graphic design and production of all corporate publications including newsletters, brochures, programs and pamphlets.