Corporate strategy, business development, marketing and operations executive with deep experience in large casino & hotel resorts and gambling technology companies; background includes product and market development, patent administration, strategic planning, strategic alliances, M&A and joint ventures. Earlier experience in software development, operations management, sales and marketing, contract and license negotiation; includes leadership in a small, high growth gaming technology company and in the financial services industry.
Reading - fiction, non-fiction, business and history
Earlier my work experiences consist of P&L responsibility for a $135M casino/hotel business unit with over 350 employees, including an operational and marketing component; management and development of both technology and service products; patent strategy and administration; contract and license negotiations; and operational experience leveraging material resource planning systems.
Specifically my experience includes:
- M&A, joint venture and licensing responsibilities ranging from $12B to $10M.
- Reviewing industry and companies to map competition dynamics, market entry points, and income production drivers
- Staff responsibilities, including agenda and material preparation, for executive and senior officer meetings.
- Business development internationally; specifically in China and the UK.
- Intellectual property management; including licensing of technology and strategic patent administration; recognized by peers winning the 2008 patent of the year and administratively tripling the number of filled patents.
- Managing highly educated teams and large, mostly hourly service staff
- Product management and marketing for both technology and service oriented gaming companies:
- - Technology - improved performance of struggling product line (1,000%) by altering distributor contract and launched new product line that required acquiring a license of video gaming platform via a complex intellectual property agreement.
- - Services - improved operating margins by 10% via promotional cost efficiencies and payroll management due to technology initiatives and process reengineering
- P & L responsibility for a business unit in the $100M to $200M
I am exploring leadership opportunities in corporate or business development, product management, marketing, or business unit management. I am willing to consider relocation and am particularly interested in the Casino/Gambling industry in Nevada or California.
Jan 2006 - Present
Director of Corporate Strategic Planning
Responsible for industry and company analysis; developing business cases to support a specific course of action for M&A activity, strategic alliances, and joint ventures: including negotiating, valuing, and integrating.Tasked with cross functional management of various staff functions to support Corporate Strategy efforts: legal, corporate finance, business unit management etc. Managed staff of 6.Responsible for industry and company analysis; developing business cases to support a specific course of action for M&A activity, strategic alliances, and joint ventures: including negotiating, valuing, and integrating. Tasked with cross functional management of various staff functions to support Corporate Strategy efforts: legal, corporate finance, business unit management etc. Managed staff of 6.
• Developed a business case to acquire distressed assets for $19M in an Article 9 foreclosure sale; led due diligence activities and integration; which, included coordinating across functional lines to identify and hire 150 people, administering the review of 500 contracts, and evaluation of intellectual property. Sold a portion of the business to a 3rd party for $1M.
• Proposed and executed an asset purchase, intellectual property settlement, engineering services and license agreement that was earnings neutral.
• Completed a distributor and patent license agreement allowing IGT to tap a market segment, worth $23m to $34m over the next five years.
• Coordinated with two equity partners and an investment bank to review and develop business and operating plans for a $12B LBO to privatize the Illinois Lottery. Led the creation of an econometric model of lottery sales drivers to validate the financial model of the proposed LBO.
• Led review of a $200M joint-venture opportunity in the automated table game market.
• Won the company "Patent of the year" award in 2008.
• Developed and facilitated the annual executive offsite review of various M&A strategies. Presented a comprehensive review of world wide gambling markets and major competitors within each market for the annual executive retreat and the Board of Directors.
Jul 2004 - May 2006
Director Strategic Business Development
Accountable for coordinating an internal executive committee designed to manage company efforts to maximize the sale of existing products into new markets and examine new products for new markets.
• Led the team assigned to evaluate the China market for video lottery terminals and the company introduction into China. Management subsequently invested $100M on the Hong Kong Exchange.
• Identified a strategic alliance opportunity with Walker Digital and initiated internal discussions which ultimately led to a $60M investment, product development and patent license agreement.
• Researched the remote gambling market (Internet, iTV, and Mobile Phones); provided the analysis and recommendations leading to $90M acquisition of Wager Works which provided IGT with a foothold into Internet Gambling.
• Analyzed state laws for opportunities to place gaming devices within the current constructs of the law. Identified opportunities in Arkansas and Ohio.
• Developed an econometric model to estimate gaming device demand in the U.S.
Jan 2001 - May 2004
VP Materials Management & Corporate Development
Accountable for identifying, negotiating, and coordinating strategic third party relationships; which included management of the slot machine top box product line and the distributor of the product, Bally Gaming. Patent portfolio oversight encompassing strategic vision, administration of patent fillings, managing outside legal counsel, and product infringement analysis. Coordinated the development of a new product line, called the player specific game system.Responsible for procurement of all inventory and non-inventory items totaling $18M annually. Directed the activates of Engineering Services, Hardware Quality Assurance, RMA, Project Coordinators and Field Service support. Staff of 25.
Accountable for identifying, negotiating, and coordinating strategic third party relationships; including a relationships with Bally Gaming, who distributed game content. Patent portfolio oversight encompassing strategic vision, administration of patent fillings, managing outside legal counsel, and product infringement analysis. Coordinated the development of a new product line, "Player Specific Game System."
• Led the negotiations to acquire a video game operating system in a intricate IP license.
• Increased sales by $1.2m of the "Top Box" product by 300 units by renegotiating the distributor agreement.
• Quadrupled the output of filed patent applications within one year.
Jun 2000 - Oct 2001
Executive Director Slot Operations
P&L responsibility for $130M business: including customer service, technical support, marketing and sales personnel, and administrative staff. Oversaw the planning and execution of 20 special events designed to entertain slot customers. Also accountable for direct mail campaigns that sent over 5 million pieces of mail annually. Oversight of a $2.5M technology budget. Staff of 350
• Improved operating margins by 10% through promotional cost efficiencies and payroll management.
• Lead the beginning role outs of new player tracking systems to provide a common technology layer for the eventual launch of the "one" card player loyalty program.
• Implemented new technology tripling response rates to promotion.
• Designed and executed a loyalty marketing campaign which increased the amount of money consumers' spent by 50% and the visitation frequency by 75%.
• Reduced staff cost by 25% through implementation of pioneering new technologies and process reengineering.
Jan 1999 - Jun 2000
Director Slot Operations
Responsible for directing operations; including shift management, master coin vault, technical maintenance, administration, and analytical support; with accountable over all operational policies and procedures ensuring a high level of customer service and internal control over funds; including the development and implementation of employee relations programs and divisional relationship with the Culinary Union. Staff of 250.
• Initiated customer service training and evaluation program; performance ratings improved from the 70s to high 80s.
• Assisted in the documentation and negotiation to successful recover from technology suppliers $1.5 million in lost funds.
• Led successful reconfiguring of the slot floor which stabilized revenue loss due to new resorts opening on the Las Vegas Strip.
Jan 1998 - Jan 1999
Slot Operations Manager
Accountable for the procurement, and installation of 2,669 slot machines and an associated slot management system valued in excess of $20M; Assisted in the design of the casino floor, product placement, pricing and product positioning for the opening. Staff of 25.
• Coordinated implementation of a new slot machine communication protocol - SAS 4.0 that was required to operate slot system based bonusing features for installed slot machines.
• Designed and administered the implementation of a Graphical User Interface custom built for Mirage Resorts by IGT; included a what-if tool which allowed for a more efficient evaluation of the profitability of casino guests using a sophisticated algorithm.
1994 - 1998
Slot Operations Analyst
Responsible for financial reporting mechanisms; coordinated relationships with suppliers; managed the planning and execution direct mail campaigns, the slot management system; developed a change in a consumer database allowing growth in direct mail from 1 to 5 million pieces per year. Developed a regression model of revenue components facilitating configuration changes that led to Win per Unit increases from 100% to 400%.
Jun 1992 - Aug 1992
Congressional House of Representatives
Served as a Congressional Intern to Democratic Congressman, James H. Bilbray from Nevada Supported his legislative staff with draft bill research, letter and speech writing, survey data entry, and hearing attendance.