Provided financial and strategic leadership for one of Gannett's ten largest newspaper properties, with over $110M in annual revenues and daily circulation of over 120,000. From 2001-2005 served as Atlantic Group Controller, overseeing financial operations at five Gannett properties, with over $500M in annual revenues.
Recognized as #2 Finance Executive in Newspaper Division (2006). Received Chairman's Ring award in 2004 and President's Ring award in 2006. Selected as mentor in Gannett mentoring program in 2008. Member of Gannett's Design and Innovation Group Council for 2006 and 2007.
- Consistently provided effective leadership as Vice President/Finance. Developed strong collaborative relationships with all departments, as critical resource for colleagues to develop and implement business plans for business acquisitions, capital projects, new products and ventures. Key resource for Publisher to rely upon to help identify business opportunities, develop strategies, coordinate action plans and track results.
- Co-leader of Audience Development Team, cross-functional group assembled to launch and develop weekly and monthly products. During 2006 and 2007, team launched five new weekly products and increased frequency of magazine publication. In 2007, improved division profit $819K/120%, from break-even, to margin of 15.5%. Increased revenue in magazine line by $415K/16% and weekly product line by $645K/14%.
- Facing industry-wide revenue shortfalls, worked collaboratively with Operating Committee colleagues to improve cost controls across all disciplines. Total 3-year projected savings (2005-2008) will exceed $25 million (over 25% of prior expense base).
- Effectively assisted Publisher with implementation of several new initiatives, including outsourcing distribution system ($4M annual savings), innovative joint venture with RNN-TV (daily news broadcast), acquisition reviews, due-diligence work and negotiation of new printing contracts (Investors Business Daily, Norwalk Hour and Morristown, NJ Daily Record).
- As Atlantic Group Controller, provided effective leadership to Finance Executives in Group with over $500 million annual revenues. Coordinated internal audits and financial forecasts. Reviewed strategic plans, operating and capital budgets, and new business initiatives. Proposed and executed various initiatives to consolidate services within the Atlantic Group.
- Maintained strong system of internal control and displayed effective understanding of Sarbanes/Oxley requirements and separation of duties over transaction processing, resulting in high integrity of management reporting and strong internal audit reports.
- Chair of charity board, group of executives assembled to oversee community activity strategies. Facing Gannett Foundation funding reductions, worked with local United Way chapter to set up efficient grant screening process to ensure funds were distributed to agencies with most need and in alignment with community strategy.
- Reduced average annual write-off expense by 75% from $626K (1998-2001) to $150K (2002/2007) through effective oversight of credit and collection operations that stood out among peers.