Highly skilled, MBA educated, Finance Executive with extensive experience gained in various financial management positions in the Gannett Corporation. Comprehensive knowledge of financial operations and best practices, excelling at strategic leadership, development of meaningful financial analysis, smart cost management and maintenance of sound internal control systems. Develop operating budgets reflecting strategic plans and refine forecasts to reflect changing business conditions. Implemented significant, profitable changes and new products at all levels.
Vice President/Finance, CFO or Finance Director with mid-sized company ($50 million - $1 billion annual revenue).Executive position in larger company ($1 billion+) with significant challenge and reasonable autonomy. Position is an active contributor to the success, growth and innovation of a business.
- Food Bank for Westchester, Millwood, NY: Member/Board of Directors 2006 - Present
- Food Bank for Westchester, Millwood, NY: Youth Advisory Board Mentor 2006 - Present
- Camp Koinonia, Highland Lake, NY: Member/Board of Directors 2006 - Present
- Graduate of Diakonia program, Pleasantville, NY 2006 - 2008
- Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, Mt Kisco, NY: Council President 2005 - 2007
- Westchester Housing Fund, Elmsford, NY: Member/Board of Directors 2004 - 2006
- Bedford Hills/Katonah, NY Youth Baseball: Head Coach/Asst Coach 2002 - 2006
Financial Analysis and Budgeting
Various Financial Positions
Controller (1994 - 1997)
Director of Accounting (1993 - 1994)
Assistant Controller (1992 - 1993)
Accounting Manager (1987 - 1992)
Various Professional Positions (1983 - 1987)
2001 - 2008
Provided financial and strategic leadership for one of Gannett's ten largest newspaper properties, with over $110M in annual revenues and daily circulation of over 120,000. From 2001-2005 served as Atlantic Group Controller, overseeing financial operations at five Gannett properties, with over $500M in annual revenues.
Recognized as #2 Finance Executive in Newspaper Division (2006). Received Chairman's Ring award in 2004 and President's Ring award in 2006. Selected as mentor in Gannett mentoring program in 2008. Member of Gannett's Design and Innovation Group Council for 2006 and 2007.
- Consistently provided effective leadership as Vice President/Finance. Developed strong collaborative relationships with all departments, as critical resource for colleagues to develop and implement business plans for business acquisitions, capital projects, new products and ventures. Key resource for Publisher to rely upon to help identify business opportunities, develop strategies, coordinate action plans and track results.
- Co-leader of Audience Development Team, cross-functional group assembled to launch and develop weekly and monthly products. During 2006 and 2007, team launched five new weekly products and increased frequency of magazine publication. In 2007, improved division profit $819K/120%, from break-even, to margin of 15.5%. Increased revenue in magazine line by $415K/16% and weekly product line by $645K/14%.
- Facing industry-wide revenue shortfalls, worked collaboratively with Operating Committee colleagues to improve cost controls across all disciplines. Total 3-year projected savings (2005-2008) will exceed $25 million (over 25% of prior expense base).
- Effectively assisted Publisher with implementation of several new initiatives, including outsourcing distribution system ($4M annual savings), innovative joint venture with RNN-TV (daily news broadcast), acquisition reviews, due-diligence work and negotiation of new printing contracts (Investors Business Daily, Norwalk Hour and Morristown, NJ Daily Record).
- As Atlantic Group Controller, provided effective leadership to Finance Executives in Group with over $500 million annual revenues. Coordinated internal audits and financial forecasts. Reviewed strategic plans, operating and capital budgets, and new business initiatives. Proposed and executed various initiatives to consolidate services within the Atlantic Group.
- Maintained strong system of internal control and displayed effective understanding of Sarbanes/Oxley requirements and separation of duties over transaction processing, resulting in high integrity of management reporting and strong internal audit reports.
- Chair of charity board, group of executives assembled to oversee community activity strategies. Facing Gannett Foundation funding reductions, worked with local United Way chapter to set up efficient grant screening process to ensure funds were distributed to agencies with most need and in alignment with community strategy.
- Reduced average annual write-off expense by 75% from $626K (1998-2001) to $150K (2002/2007) through effective oversight of credit and collection operations that stood out among peers.
1997 - 2001
Directed Finance, IT and special project operations for Gannett newspaper with over $40M in annual sales and daily circulation of over 50,000. Provided critical leadership and mentorship to staff, consistently improving performance and effectiveness.
- Implemented several financial reporting upgrades to provide strategic analysis on timelier basis. Improved bottom line performance to $20 million and 46% margin in final full year on job (2000).
- Achieved over $350,000 in annual savings by leading financial operations consolidation efforts in Central New York newspaper group.
- Led Operational Planning retreats, and worked closely with Publisher and Operating Committee on analysis, documentation and implementation of strategies.
- Directed Information Technology department. Ensured success of all Y2K upgrades. Oversaw complete network restructure and various improvements in business and production technologies.
- Worked closely with Advertising, Circulation and Marketing to review pricing and product proposals. Provided critical feedback to departments to improve effectiveness of proposals.