Middle School Assistant Principal
Houston Independent School District
Key Middle School: 8th Grade Principal (July 2014-Present)
- Responsible for direct supervision of 10 teachers, appraisal of 12 teachers, 2 support staff members and 200 students.
- Instructional leader of the math department for 6th-8th grades resulting in the following growth on the STAAR Math assessment: 6th Grade: 46% to 58% (+12); 7th Grade: 34% to 39% (+5); 8th Grade: 1st Administration: 31% to 43% (+12);
- 2nd Administration: 43% to 60% (+17); Total Growth (+29).
- Managed the implementation of restructuring the math program through weekly PLC meetings targeting lesson plan design, instructional strategies, disaggregation of informal/formal data, and student engagement.
- Developed and coordinated in-service and staff development on Response to Intervention (RtI), Intervention Assistance Team (IAT) and 504 program and procedures which resulted in a campus-wide program targeted towards at-risk students.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and training as the 504 and IAT Chairperson. Specific emphasis via training and coaching was placed on how to properly intervene and close academic gaps within the classroom environment.
- Coordinated and implemented the United Way Math Mentoring program for 8th grade students to tutor 6th grade students in prerequisite math skills which resulted in an increase in student’s performance and a decrease in discipline infractions.
- Oversaw the special education department as the administrator/interim chairperson to ensure programs operated with fidelity and students received academic/behavioral support resulting in a decrease of referrals and lawsuits requesting compensatory education.
Dowling Middle School: 7th Grade Principal (July 2013-July 2014)
- Responsible for direct supervision and appraisal of 14 teachers and 400 students.
- Served as instructional leader of the Special Education department (14%) and English as a Second Language department (19%) for 6th-8th grades resulting in the campus receiving a “Met Standard” accountability rating with Designated Designations in Mathematics and Top 25% Student Progress.
- Responsible for management and discipline for transportation services of 10 routes/buses servicing approximately 600 students.
- Created and monitored policies and procedures for Response to Intervention (RtI) and Assistance Team to provide academic or behavioral assistance to at risk students.