President - TRICAT ZEOLITES, Baltimore, MD & Bitterfeld, Germany
2000 to 2004
Start-up worldwide chemicals/advanced materials manufacturing and supply business; a subsidiary of Tricat Management GmbH.
Contemporaneous with leadership tenure at Tricat Industries and Tricat Management, led a multinational executive team in financing, engineering, constructing, and operating new production facilities and driving substantial sales growth across all Tricat businesses. Assumed full P&L management oversight to transform an amalgamation of products in various stages of development into a high-growth, profitable worldwide zeolite business. Established policy and set the vision, direction, and priorities for R&D, engineering, manufacturing, and sales and marketing, and established inter-company corporate and financial structures.
Offshore Start-Up & Global Expansion
- Traversed cultural and language barriers to forge strong government and foreign banking relationships resulting in $50M in financing/grants for the construction of 3 new facilities in Germany. Completed construction and ramp-up in 1 year.
- Grew the zeolite business from market introduction to $8.5M in revenue in 3 years.
- Instituted continuous improvements that reduced cost of goods sold 68% on average, and reached peak production capacity in newly constructed facilities within 12 months.
- Developed new, innovative technologies resulting in 12 patents and numerous new product offerings that contributed to 90% of overall revenue growth.
- Built high-performance sales and technical service teams and developed strong customer relationships, translating into strategic partnerships and long-term supply agreements with major customers including BOC Gases, Engelhard, and Intercat.
Managing Director – TRICAT MANAGEMENT GMBH, Bitterfeld, Germany
President & CEO / VP, Operations - Tricat Industries, Inc. Baltimore, MD
1995 to 2004
Holding companies with global interests in start-up / early stage advanced materials manufacturing and supply businesses.
Joined the senior management team as the head of a newly acquired fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) additives subsidiary, and within 2 years appointed by the Board as the top executive of the rapid-growth parent company and its European holding company. Charged with developing and executing investment / divestment strategies across 6 different businesses in various stages growth and profitability. Then, led the organization through a strategic rationalization and restructuring, an investment capital infusion and recapitalization, and a global market expansion. At peak, led a 5-person senior team, controlled $38M in worldwide assets, and reported to the Board.
Business Transformation & Rapid Growth
- Restructured and reinvigorated a global company on the verge of bankruptcy into a major market player and delivered 4-fold growth over 7 years.
- Guided a $4M catalyst regeneration business to peak performance and #2 market share in the US and in Europe.
- Organized and led private equity investor presentations, successfully projecting the strength of the company's business model, market presence, and financial projections, resulting in $8M in funding for production and market expansion.
- Drove aggressive international expansion of Tricat Management's businesses from $500K to $13M in revenue in 5 years with solid performance.
Business Process Reengineering & Team Building
- Transformed a group of 6 independently operated subsidiaries and acquisitions into a cohesive business structure comprised of 2 core businesses with distinct strategic plans, P&Ls, product offerings, and market channels.
- Shut down and spun-off $30M of non-value added product lines and business segments, freeing up the corporation to focus on high potential market sectors where Tricat could become a dominant market player.
- Integrated continuous improvements, standardized procedures, maintenance planning and scheduling systems, and various quality control measures into the day-to-day management and operations of Tricat's 4 worldwide manufacturing plants, resulting in peak production at the highest quality and lowest costs.
- Assembled a top leadership team that worked together to develop strategic plans and establish clear operational objectives, goals, and measurable milestones. Built a market-driven business culture and provided the focused leadership and motivation required for success.
- Reduced corporate overhead expenditures 50% through the centralization and consolidation of finance and accounting, purchasing, logistics, human resources (HR), legal, information technology (IT), and administrative services. Optimized people, processes, and technology to sustain the lowest headcount and highest productivity.