Available for content development, video and social media projects that match with my extensive experience, skills and passions—to collaborate, create, engage, inspire and connect.
Content Development and Production for all media platforms:
- Video, TV and Documentaries
- Web and Social Media
- Books, e-Books, Gift Series and Magazines
- Online Education and Telesummits
SAMPLE BACKGROUND / EXPERIENCE:
- 2-Time Emmy Award-Winning Producer / Writer / Host of broadcast documentaries
- Audience Development Manager—launched converged Webby Award-winning health & lifestyle website with national television network. Site traffic increase of 78% and email open rate increase of 100% (over 2 million subscribers). Advised sister site Oprah.com on audience growth strategies.
- Content & Audience Development—developed and produced content and managed social media for children's environmental edutainment platform (website, book, award-winning audio book, events, etc).
- Author / Editor / Development of 12+ published books / gifts (hired by major publishers)
- Community-Builder (I just can't help myself!)
- Producer / Writer / Treasure Hunter for hit Travel Channel series
- Exec. Producer / Field Producer / Interviewer for videos for non-profit organizations and music festivals
- Content Specialties: lifestyle, personal growth & development, humor, social issues, inspiration, narrative, health, fitness, nutrition, sociology, environment, community, advice, gender, love, relationships, sexuality, communication, psychology, personality typology, parenting/youth, film, home, creativity, DIY, activities, travel, etc.
Apr 2013 - Present
Audience Engagement Manager
The Shift Network
2011 - 2012
Content & Audience Development Director
Developed and produced content and managed social media for children's environmental edutainment platform (e-book, book, videos, web, live events, and CD — narrated by rapper/actor Mos Def). Winner of Independent Music Award's Best Children's Music (People's Choice). Created website (Wordpress) and managed team of artists and programmers.
1995 - 2010
Author / Editor / Creative Development for 12+ published book projects
- Guatemalan Worry Dolls (Metro Books/Sterling Publishing/Barnes&Noble, 2010)
- Great Pumpkins: Crafty Carvings for Halloween (Co-Author Peter Cole; Chronicle Books, 2003)
- Climb Against the Odds: Celebrating Survival on the Mountain (Chronicle Books/Breast Cancer Fund, 2003)
- Burn This Book …and Move On With Your Life (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2002)
- One Makes the Difference: Inspiring Actions That Change Our World (Co-Author, Environmental Activist Julia Butterfly Hill; HarperCollins, 2002)
- Let Your Worries Go (St. Martin’s Press, 2001)
- 52 Tricks and Treats for Halloween (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 2000)
- 52 Ways to Make a House a Home (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 2000)
- 52 Great Travel Tips (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 1999)
- 52 Amazing Science Experiments for Kids (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 1998)— 1,000,000+ copies sold!
- 52 Ways to Pamper Your Pets (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 1997)
- 52 Party Activities for Grown-ups (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 1996)
- 52 Relaxing Rituals (Co-Author Lynn Gordon; Chronicle Books, 1996)—1,000,000+ copies sold!
Mar 2004 - 2006
Sr. Producer / Writer / Host, Emmy-winning Documentary Specials
Life Lessons: A Dose of Reality
Emmy Award & Golden Mike Award for Best Documentary
Hour-long special about teens’ abuse of over-the-counter and prescription drugs—featuring young users on their hard quest for sobriety.
Life Lessons: Truths and Consequences
Golden Mike Award for Best Documentary, Emmy Award nominee for Best Documentary.
Unique, hour-long program about teen alcohol use shown from the perspective of the youth.
Be Inspected, Not Infected
Emmy Award for Best Educational Program
Documentary on teens and sexually transmitted infections, told from the perspectives of young people getting tested for the first time.
Life Lessons: A Community at Risk
Hour-long special on the quiet spread of HIV/AIDS in the heterosexual, African-American community. Interviews with actors from the hit TV show, Eve, and an HIV-positive man who has unprotected sex with at least 100 unsuspecting women he meets online. Emmy Award for editing.
2006 - 2006
Producer / Writer / Treasure Hunter
"Best Places to Find Cash and Treasures"
Produced and wrote a hit Travel Channel adventure series about the best places to uncover real treasures across the U.S. Procured 16 locations where valuables would be uncovered during filming. Discoveries included diamonds, opals, meteors, buried civil war artifacts, phosphorescent minerals, sunken treasure, and fossilized shark teeth.
2003 - 2005
Exec. Producer / Writer / Creative Development / Interviewer
J Hurley Productions
We the Planet Zero-Waste Music Festival
CIRCLE OF LIFE FOUNDATION
Produced videos for We the Planet zero-waste festivals, hosted by Activist/Author Julia Butterfly Hill. Interviewed high-profile artists including Bonnie Raitt, Joan Baez, Flea, Cake, De La Soul, Third Eye Blind, Woody Harrelson and Andy Dick.
ENGAGE NETWORK / WHAT’S YOUR TREE?
Produced a video to complement a major motion picture (in development) about famous Activist / Author Julia Butterfly Hill. The “What’s Your Tree?“ series was created to help audiences discover what they can do to turn inspiration into sustained action.
ARTICA FILM, LTD
Wrote a story treatment and documentary proposal for Sir Richard Branson and his son on the effects of global warming on the Maasai tribes of Kenya. These iconic Africans struggle to avoid cultural extinction and survive the severe droughts caused by environmental abuses on the other side of the planet.
Music Festival Videos
EARTHDANCE INTERNATIONAL / REGGAE ON THE RIVER / HARMONY FESTIVAL
Produced video for the Earthdance Global Festival for Peace, occurring simultaneously in 150 cities. Also worked at Reggae on the River and Harmony festivals. Conducted interviews with high-profile musicians and visionaries.
DEMOCRACY MATTERS, SAN FRANCISCO
Produced and wrote a video and PSA to engage college students in the cause of clean and fair elections, which included interviews with NBA player, and Democracy Matters’ founder, Adonal Foyle.
Activism is Patriotism
CIRCLE OF LIFE, OAKLAND, CA
Produced several PSA spots featuring infamous Tree-sitter / Author Julia Butterfly Hill on the topic of community activism and patriotism.
Economic Development: Bay View Hunter’s Point
CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO / KIA MILLER PRODUCTIONS
Assisted producer in segment production for a documentary on a severely impoverished and violent, urban community, shown at the San Francisco Economic Summit.
1999 - 2001
Senior Web Producer, Audience Development
Created and managed the convergence of online material related to healthy living (including medical, sexuality & relationships, personal growth, nutrition, fitness, and weight) with television content during the launch of Oxygen Media's women's network. Responsible for the “voice” and look of the site, writing/managing all weekly newsletters, creative development, as well as lucrative partnerships, and interactive marketing campaigns aimed to reach and retain the largest audience. Advised sister site Oprah.com on strategies for increasing their traffic. Interfaced with TV producers, content experts, web engineers, contract writers, and graphic design. Company owned by media giants Oprah, Geraldine Laybourne (Nickelodeon), Carsey-Warner-Mandebach and Paul Allen (Microsoft).
- Winner of 2000 Webby Award and 2001 People’s Choice Webby Award for Best Health Site.
- Average monthly traffic increase: 78%
- Monthly Site Visitors: 2,000,000+
- Hotmail Newsletter (Opt-In): Over 2,000,000 subscribers sent 3x/week
- Newsletter Open Rate: Increase of 100%
- Site size: Over 35,000 pages of static content plus health tools and applications
- Projects Launched: Over 80
Author / Writer / Editor 12+ published book titles on a variety of topics
Creative Development / Producer ThriveOnline-Oxygen w/ American Greetings
Co-Author / Environmental Expert Published by HarperCollins "Salient facts that surprise and educate ... an invaluable guide for anyone who wants to make the world a better place but doesn't know what to do ...." --American Library Assn "...inspirational for young adults ... recommended for public libraries" --Library Journal "... interesting facts, inspiring anecdotes, and practical tips... ideal for a younger audience interested in learning how they can contribute to the wellness of our planet." --Whole Earth
Creative Development / Co-Author Series published by Chronicle Books. Over 1 million copies sold!
Creative Development /Sr. Producer ThriveOnline-Oxygen Media w/ American Greetings
Author Published by St. Martin's Press
Editor / Co-Author Published by Chronicle Books / Breast Cancer Fund
Author Published by Chronicle Books "...delightfully designed and brightly photographed ... guide will surely provide inspiration ..." --Publishers Weekly
Author, Published by Metro Books/Sterling Publishing/Barnes&Noble
Producer, Creative Dev. Oxygen Media / ThriveOnline
Combined B.A. in Sociology / Media Studies, May 1992. Participated in Boston University Video Internship Program working for Medialab (top music video company.), London, England. Recipient of MCA scholarship.
VideoLink training program
Took this video "boot-camp" program at BAVC to update my knowledge of current video / emergent media production techniques and technologies.
The Golden Mike Awards
Mesa Refuge Writers' Retreat