Sep 2011 - Present
2007 - Present
Marketing and Writing Projects
- SIRUM, nonprofit: Copywriting for SIRUM.org, as detailed in my portfolio. (April 2011)
- SocialGrindr, social networking tool: Copywriting for SocialGrindr.com, as detailed in my portfolio. (April 2011)
Basshound, funk band: Freelance projects. (April 2008-May 2009)
- Developed Blacksburg, VA as this Baltimore band’s strongest market.
- Wrote the copy for an advertisement to be featured in Relix - The Magazine for Music. The text is now the band's bio on their website as well.
- Wrote press releases, coordinated interviews, utilized new media and creative guerilla marketing (see newsfeed bombing: 1, 2) to expand fan base and increase show attendance.
- Event planning: Coordinated logistics to plan an event in Hampton, VA with the venue, the other artists, and the City of Hampton. Managed online "street team" to promote the event through social networks and music-related discussion forums. Wrote the event press release.
Bassnectar, internationally-recognized DJ/producer: Freelance projects. (Aug 2007-Dec 2009)
- Wrote branding guide to improve brand cohesion across various outlets (from stage to merch to web)
- Developed marketing/channel plan.
- Coordinated interviews and media coverage.
- Managed street teams.
- Wrote t-shirt copy and orchestrated give-aways. This shirt was reworked for sale on Bassnectar.net.
- Promoted shows through various web outlets.
- Marketing Lead on a start-up team to develop an interactive community as an offshoot of Bassnectar.net.
Handshake 2.0, blog: Paid blogger. Topics: social media, web marketing, trends, branding. Blogs written for Handshake 2.0 have been aggregated in my portfolio. (June - Oct 2009)
United Way – MRF, Volunteer Solutions, nonprofit: Project lead. (Jan - May 2008)
- Developed a marketing plan to increase use of a web-based volunteer-match program by both agencies and volunteers.
- Research directed a strong need to redesign the website. Connected UW - MRF with a tech-savvy volunteer who redesigned the site free of charge.
- Developed an updating list of local agencies to target with their outreach using Google Earth, Excel, and a few Excel plug-ins.
- Connected UW - MRF with Virginia Tech's Innovation Space to solve the need for ongoing tech support for their users.
- Peace Navigator, e-learning tool: Served as a beta-tester and marketing consultant to assist in the promotion of a new e-learning tool. (Aug - Dec 2008)
- Student Groove Card, discount card: Direct Sales. Sold the ad space on a discount card by cold calling local businesses. Distributed and promoted the card online and on campus.
Big Lick U, web offshoot of the Roanoke Times: Project lead. Created a marketing plan to drive users to the site while maintaining a low budget.
- Marketing plan won First Place in a contest held by Big Lick U.
- Due to a lack of analytics, primary research was conducted to determine the most appealing site content.
- We planned PR events on Virginia Tech's campus to tie holidays to the site benefits that ranked highest in our research.
- Regular physical presence on campus with such a bold name would create buzz about the site and peak student curiosity.
- Our plan laid out specific promotional materials that would bring students to the site, get them registered, and introduce them to one of the site's key offerings.
- Example: on Valentines day we'd hand out branded candy with a chance to win a romantic dinner for two at a local restaurant if you register on the site and use the passcode included. The site would direct you to user reviews for various local restaurants.
- Virginia Powershift, event: Volunteer. Wrote website copy and press releases for the communications team. (Aug - Oct 2008)
- Pamplin Undergraduate Programs Office, Virginia Tech Business School: Volunteer. Phone/email correspondence to promote Virginia Tech to prospective students and ease worries following the tragic events of April 16, 2007. (April - May 2007)
Dec 2010 - Apr 2011
Youth Mobilization Manager for the Web
- Project Manager for all web content and outreach related to the Kids’ Movement.
- Managed Kids' Movement website: www.empowerME2b.org
- Coordinate with Kids’ Movement/Marketing to create integrated web content.
- Needs-assessment with collaborators to improve cross-linking.
- Improve SEO/depth with rich articles that connect current events to programming.
- Improve user experience by adjusting user paths and writing clear copy.
- Wrote biweekly newsletters to various audiences.
- Web Design: Guided design changes by vendor Funny Garbage to guide IA changes
- Video Production: Created scripts and story-board, managed production with vendor Gigantic Planet
- Created and maintained accounts on Facebook and YouTube.
- Planned and orchestrated events in DC, NYC, and Portland.
- Coached 25 Youth Advisory Board members to create original web content
- Lecture: How to use social media to share your story
- Lecture: How to create video for the web