Eagle Scout - Boy Scouts of America
Senior - level manager with extensive global experience in all facets of bringing products to market and successfully communicating their value to customers: guiding the "idea" process, planning and executing the marketing of products to channels of sale and managing their success through the entire lifecycle. Some key competencies include:
● Global Strategic Marketing ● Account and Customer Management
● Product Development and Management ● Profit and Loss Management
● Lean Six Sigma and Design for Six Sigma ● Marketing Communications and PR
Member and VP of Communications, St. Louis Chapter
2011 - Present
Product Manager - Electronics
Responsible for product management and marketing of electronic control products for commercial and industrial refrigeration applications in the $1B Instrumentation Group of Parker Hannifin.
In addition to items on my resume, below are other experiences and accomplishments:
- Responsible for managing ongoing product integration of an acquisition in Montreal, Canada. Extensive experience in managing culturally and geographically diverse professionals as a part of the integration
- Brought expertise in new product development processes to the organization which had previously little experience. Responsible for spearheading the development and execution of a formal NPD process within the newly acquired organization.
- Managed partnership with European partner to bring updated line of refrigeration controllers to market within the first 18 months of joining Parker.
- Managed the launch of the company's first integrated refrigerated case controller. This included guiding product development to commercialization and providing direction of the actual commercial launch of the product.
- Gained extensive experience in the "New Product Blueprinting" techniques for acquiring customer input to the product development cycle. Used this process to define initial requirements for a next generation refrigeration rack controller.
- Worked closely with major OEMs and end customers to develop new product development plans. These customers include Hussmann, Hill Phoenix, Zero Zone, HEB, Target and Walmart.
2007 - 2009
Global Product Manager
Managed global product strategy for the $350 million Energizer Specialty Power and $200 million Lighting business units.
In addition to the items on my resume, below are other accomplishments at Energizer:
- At Energizer I created and evangelized the use a number of tools including stage/gate development processes and product portfolio management to reduce the overall number of projects flowing through product development AND increase the "hit rate" or rate of success of the projects that did move forward.
- Managed global products under license with The Walt Disney Company (Disney Consumer Products). Under the Disney license I oversaw the development and launch of a line of entry level flashlights for children which effectively addressed non-licensed competitive product in Europe and Asia
- Built the first fuel cell business case for the Specialty Power business.This involved ongoing discussions and negotiations with fuel cell technology companies such as Angstrom Power, Trulite, and Akermin
- Worked extensively with a number of world class product / industrial design firms including Chase Design, Design Resource and Nottingham-Spirk
- Negotiated supply arrangements for re-branded products from Sony, Panasonic and Seiko
- International experience includes Southern China, Central Europe (Germany,Spain, Czech Republic) and Japan
Other key acheivements include:
- Successfully managed the market introduction of a number of key new productsincluding zero mercury batteries and solar lighting products that resulted in new product distribution (channels and customers) with an estimated first year revenue of over $1 million.
- Managed the launch and transition of over 30 global models on an annual basismeeting division inventory and obsolescence targets.
- Created reporting tools to provide visibility to global sales by customer andchannel.These tools provided analysis of gaps in forecast to budget.Alsoworked with global teams to develop a 5 year revenue bridge that doubleddivision operating profit.
- Launched a line of Disney licensed lights that achieved global distribution andsecured over $1 million in new sales revenue(not just incremental).
2005 - 2006
Directed product development, channel strategies and P&L for the $65 million Altra brand of Ameriwood.This included design, sourcing, pricing, brand marketing, channel sales strategies and lifecycle management.
In addition to items on my resume, below are some additional accomplishments while at Ameriwood:
- Extensive experience presenting to and negotiating with a wide variety of retail accounts including Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Staples and others.
- Named co-inventor for patent application 0080137879 (wireless audio speaker stands)
- Conducted on-site evaluations of over 10 manufacturing organizations in Southern and Central China
- Managed 2nd generation co-development of patented in-desk USB Hub with Belkin. Also managed all IP around this patented design for Ameriwood.
- Initiated discussions and negotiations with Alienware for specialized gaming desks and associated hardware.
- Negotiated and secured OEM design and distribution wins for plasma, LCD and LED stands with Samsung, RCA and others.
- Managed Altra financial plan including developing sales forecast with sales team and reps, creating and delivering P&L plan to senior management and managing the ongoing delivery of the sales plan to meet division financial objectives.
- Negotiated and managed engineering, pricing and delivery of projects with overseas vendor-partners (China, Hong Kong, Brazil) as well as multiple domestic factories.
2002 - 2005
Director of Marketing
Directed brand marketing, product management and marketing communications for the $150 million consumer products company.
In addition to items on my resume, other additional accomplishments include:
- Managed the launch and marketing of two CES Innovations award winning products
- Initiated discussions with XM Satellite Radio and ultimately negotiated a technology agreement that allowed GPX to launch the industry's first "XM Ready" Portable Music System
- Managed the launch strategy planning of product licensed to GPX by Crayola and Alienware - both partnerships first in the industry.
Other key achievements include:
- Managed all brand marketing and product management activities for the company.
- Extensive direct account management experience with major N.A. retail customers in mass merchant, electronic specialty, catalog and drug channels.
- Managed all corporate branding via the web, print advertising and trade shows.
- Managed all corporate PR with both internal resources and external PR vendors.
- Managed design staff in the U.S. and Hong Kong for the creation of all product packaging.
2000 - 2002
Director of Marketing
Managed division marketing, product management and P&L for $15 million switch division.Also managed indirect distributor sales force for North America.
- Established division sales objectives, metrics and budget.
- Tripled new customer lead generation over previous years.
- Established and managed a marketing budget of $250k.
- Actively managed major accounts in North America and Europe including Schlumberger, Solectron and Siemens as well as distributors such as Arrow, Avenet and Future.
- Developed and delivered product training to worldwide direct and rep sales force and customers.
- Directed the development of new sales and marketing tools for all corporate products
- Selected and negotiated contracts with N.A. manufacturer’s rep organizations and managed their delivery of the division sales plan.
- Managed applications and product development resources.
1999 - 2000
Provided product and marketing leadership for the $250 million Computer Accessory Business Unit by managing market research, sourcing, and brand marketing.Directly managed $15 million P&L for product categories.
- Established new product roadmaps and development strategies for all technology group products in the $250MM Computer Accessory Business Unit of Fellowes Manufacturing.
- Managed sales forecast and P&L for all division technology products.
- Worked extensively with major customers in all retail channels worldwide, including mass merchants, specialty retail, office superstores, catalogers and premium accounts.
- Forged key technology partnership with Cirque that resulted in one of the first after-market PC touchpads with "gesture" technology under the Fellowes brand.
- Extensive experience with Asian (China) sourcing.
- Managed a direct staff of 2 product managers and 5 customer support staff.
1996 - 1999
Product Marketing Manager
- Managed product marketing for global launch of Compaq small form factor (SFF) desktops
- Managed product marketing for global desktop graphic solutions
1993 - 1996
Product Compliance Engineer
- Managed global product safety and EMI design and certification processes
- Extensive experience in interpreting and designing to global standards (UL, FCC, ANSI, IEC/EN)
1989 - 1993
- Performed shielding analysis of original Monsanto (now Laird Technologies) Flectron metallized fabrics under contract with Monsanto
- Responsible for antenna design (TLAM Missile)
- Performed Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) test and design for F/A-18, F-15E and AV-8B aircraft avionics
Energizer Foundations of Leadership
Selected to attend specialized leadership training