Director of Business Intelligence, EDW and Customer Marketing Systems
DSW Inc. is a leading multi-channel footwear specialty retailer that offers a wide selection of brand name and designer dress, casual, and athletic footwear for women and men. DSW had sales of $1.46B in 2008, has over 10k employees, operates 300 stores in 37 states and an e-commerce web site.
Oversaw design, implementation and support of enterprise data warehouse, business intelligence, customer service and customer loyalty / marketing systems for $2.7B retail organization. Led Shared Services function providing IT Services to DSW Inc, Value City Department Stores, Filene's Basement and Retail Ventures Inc.
Recruited, mentored, and managed 30-member team providing technical services to three retail companies with combined database portfolio of 20M+ customers. Accountable for all IT program and department P&L management, organizational development, budgeting, strategic planning, systems support and operations; partnered with senior business and IT leadership to develop multi-year IT plans and strategic business cases, directed multiple application development and project managers, and led teams through all phases of high-complexity BI, EDW, CRM, Web service development, and data analysis and reporting projects.
- Skillfully leveraged technology assets and investments to reduce costs, simplify IT footprint and increase efficiency in technical environments; marketing and CRM program improvements captured $2.5M in annual savings and led directly to projected revenue increase of $7.8M over two years.
- Orchestrated migration of outsourced SaaS components for 8M-member customer loyalty program to in-house solutions; led database consolidation, internally hosted Web site deployments, and development / rollout of call center, EDW, campaign management, and BI reporting systems.
- Launched DSW’s Data Warehouse Program.Created internal capability to deliver business performance insights (marketing effectiveness, market basket analysis, consumer buying patterns, fraud detection, cashier productivity) that ultimately changed company’s customer direct market strategy.
- Introduced new business intelligence tools from Microstrategy, Business Objects (XIR3) and SAS. New data integration tools from Informatica and data quality tools from Trillium.
- Retired 30 legacy reporting and intranet applications.Simplified enterprise architecture, improved data accuracy and system availability, and reduced operations costs.
- Introduced and held accountability for DSW's Business Intelligence and Customer Information Steering Committee to ensure executive program governance and sponsorship. Committee was chartered with establishing and executing a multi-year program and portfolio plan, reviewing and approving all data warehouse, BI reporting & analytics, enterprise and customer data integration, CRM, and data quality improvement projects.
- Earned fast-track promotions from previous positions as Manager (2005) and Director of Business Intelligence (2006) to hold additional responsibility for all EDW and Customer Marketing Systems.