King & Wood Mallesons
1. Corporate & Securities (Sep 2014 - Feb 2015)
- Acted for Haitong in acquisition of substantial shareholding in China Grand Auto, and further assisting in subsequent restructuring. Reviewed various fund documents to produce a high-level due diligence summary, proofed and edited transaction documents, and attended to closing and post-closing matters.
- Acted for Equis Funds Group in formation and closing of energy and infrastructure funds raising US$1.7b. Drafted and edited PPM, side letters, and board resolutions. Coordinated multiple closings and managed post-closing matters, including production of side letter election booklet.
- Advised Haitong in setting up a private fund domiciled in the Cayman Islands for facilitating offshore money market investments. Drafted fund's articles, shareholder agreement and subscription agreement. Liaised closely with client, Cayman counsel and offshore service provider, advising on aspects ranging from incorporation process to completing necessary registrations.
- Advised WesTrac in capital reduction and share redemption exercise undertaken by its Hong Kong subsidiary. Drafted timeline, relevant resolutions, notices, and Company Registry filings, liaising directly with Company's Registrar and client throughout.
2. Banking & Finance (Feb 2015 - Aug 2015)
- Worked closely with financial services regulation team, providing assistance on various domestic and multi-jurisdictional regulatory matters. Conducted document review, drafted reports and updates, and provided legal research support.
- Advised banks on a syndicated loan of US$270m to Haitong for the acquisition of Portuguese investment bank BESI. Reviewed and revised suite of finance documents, liaised with client, local counsel and counterparty regarding complex legal issues, and and coordinated to develop commercially practical solutions. Collated and reviewed CPs, coordinated closing, and attended to post-completion matters.
- Advised JPMorgan and HK Investment Funds Association in relation to anti-money laundering/KYC obligations of financial institutions in Macau and PRC respectively. Reviewed laws, regulations and guidelines of the review jurisdictions with the assistance of local counsel to produce an equivalence review and gap analysis.
- Advised Boerse Stuttgart AG on the introduction of a proprietary trading platform into Hong Kong through (1) a licensing arrangement and (2) heads of agreement for a future JV with a locally-based partner. Met with client's senior personnel to discuss objectives, prepared answers to Q&A re Hong Kong legal environment, and prepared first drafts of licensing arrangement and heads of agreement.
3. Dispute Resolution (Sep 2015 to Present)
- Advising client in relation to proceedings brought by the Securities and Futures Commission for alleged market misconduct. Attending court hearings, providing onsite support to client and counsel team. Reviewing Unused Materials, liaising and providing assistance to counsel team, preparing documentary exhibits, and completing various research tasks.
- Advising Singapore-listed company in relation to removal of uncooperative directors and shareholders from various subsidiaries. Reviewing constitutional documents and group structure, proposing strategies of approach, and preparing draft timetable and corporate documents (e.g. board resolutions, special notices, and documents relating to the subsequent court process such as originating summons and affidavit in support).
- Advising Hong Kong company ordered by the Securities and Futures Commission to provide information for the purposes of a market misconduct investigation. Conducting document review and coordinating document production process, and providing legal research and analysis on issues of confidentiality and privilege.