I began as a writer for The Matrix, MSC's student newspaper. I was promoted to Managing Editor the following year and, finally, I served as Editor-in-Chief of the weekly publication.
As Managing Editor, I designed, implemented, and managed an weekly online publication.
As Editor-in-Chief, I supervised a staff of 15 and made daily decisions regarding budget and operations. I created a marketing department and we sold $3600 in advertising the first six weeks. We raised $6000 in advertising revenue in approximately 6 months, the proceeds were used to take my staff and advisors to the ACP Conference in New York.
Additional duties included:
- Team Leader of 15 person college news staff
- Created and implemented marketing division
- Increased overall advertising revenue from $300 yearly to $3500 in six weeks
- Designed, implemented and maintained website
- Work with National Media/Marketing Company
- Market newspaper on two campuses and in the Middle Georgia community
- Interact with MSC Administration
- Create displays on campus
- Attend student functions to recruit staff and new readers
- Contact community businesses for placement of distribution bins in establishments
- Generate story ideas and manage weekly content budget
- Manage workflow and layout of the weekly publication
- Liaison between newspaper and publisher
- Established yearly budget and manage staff payroll
- Oversee payment of expenditures
- Write articles, editorials and op-ed items for weekly publication
- Plan motivational events motivate and increase staff morale
- Plan teaching seminars
- Teach seminars