Jennifer Phillips currently works as a staff accountant at a small Certified Public Accounting firm. She holds a Master of Accounting degree which she earned from the University of West Florida. After spending nearly ten years in the CPA firm setting, she decided to make a major life change and pursue a career in nutrition, with the ultimate goal of becoming a Registered Dietitian. Nutrition and a healthy lifestyle have always been important aspects of her life. She hopes that by taking this new path, she will be able to help others make healthier nutritional choices. Currently, Jennifer is attending the University of Alabama's Distance Learning program in hopes of earning her Bachelor of Science in Health Environmental Studies with a focus on Food and Nutrition. She plans to complete her Dietetic Internship at the University of Alabama in Birmingham. Jennifer resides in Loxley, AL with her husband, son, and two basset hounds. In her free time, she enjoys practicing yoga and spending time with her family.
- Be ethical, plain and simple.
- Take pride in the work that you do, no matter the job.
- Make it a habit to go out of your way to help a client and to always keep their best interest in mind.
- If you don't know the answer, look it up or find someone who does.
- Never stop learning. Knowledge is the key to success! Plus, it's the one thing no one can take away from you.
Short-Term Goals (2-5 Years)
- Seek employment or volunteer opportunities at an organization that will allow me to gain the experience needed in my future career as a Registered Dietitian (RD).
- Obtain Bachelors of Science degree.
- Apply and be accepted for a Dietetic Internship.
- Become an active member in my local La Leche League chapter, earning Leadership status, and starting a monthly evening support group for working moms who breastfeed.
Long-Term Goals (5-10 Years)
- Pass the Registered Dietitian exam and become licensed in the state of Alabama.
- Become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) to support mothers having difficulty breastfeeding.
- Earn a position in an organization where I can utilize my knowledge as both an RD and IBCLC, such as WIC or at a local hospital.
Jan 2012 - Present
Bachelor of Science
University of Alabama
Distance Education Program
Aug 2007 - Aug 2009
Master of Accountancy
University of West Florida
Aug 2005 - Aug 2007
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
University of West Florida
Aug 2003 - Aug 2005
Associate in Science
Faulkner State Community College
Magna Cum Laude
Member of Phi Theta Kappa
Aug 2005 - Present
Advantage Business Solutions, Inc.
- Prepared tax returns for small businesses and individuals.
- Responsible for creating, sending, and retrieving all electronic filing acknowledgements for business and personal tax returns.
- Performed bookkeeping functions that involved the utilization of accounting software for entering clients’ monthly transactions, reconciling accounts, making any necessary adjustments for the preparation financial statements, and preparing financial statements.
Jan 2007 - Dec 2010
Payroll Processing Manager
HR Fusion, Inc.
- Managed 30+ payroll clients, ranging from 1 to 100 employees.
- Responsible for processing payroll, check and report printing, and initiating timely direct deposit and fee ACH transfers.
- Prepared weekly payroll tax deposits using EFTPS as well as filed monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll tax returns with the appropriate agencies.
- Assisted in the development and implementation of quality control and accuracy policies.
- Facilitated in the sale of the business by corresponding with the purchaser and gathering /submitting all necessary paperwork to ensure a smooth transition for existing clients.
Sep 2002 - Aug 2005
Gruenloh & Associates, Inc.
- Started as part-time receptionist with basic duties such as answering phones, document filing, and mailing responsibilities.
- Advanced to the position of performing basic bookkeeping duties while assisting staff accountants and CPAs at the firm.
- Prepared payroll tax deposits and quarterly payroll returns for clients.