A 15+ year sales, marketing, social media, and event professional with a creative drive. A seasoned sales professional who consistently achieves or exceeds targets by being a determined, strategic thinker and creative problem solver. Able to leap problems in a single bound to get the deal done.
Advisor to the Netroots Nation convention. Previous conference attendees and speakers include President Barack Obama, Vice President Al Gore, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Van Jones - Special Advisor to the President, Green Jobs, and dozens of Governors, Senators, and Congressional Representatives.
Netroots Nation amplifies progressive voices by providing an online and in-person campus for exchanging ideas and learning how to be more effective in using technology to influence the public debate. Through our annual convention and a series of regional salons held throughout the year, we strengthen our community, inspire action and serve as an incubator for ideas that challenge the status quo and ultimately affect change in the public sphere.
The fourth annual gathering of the Netroots (formerly known as the YearlyKos Convention) will be held August 13–16 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, PA. Netroots Nation 2009will include panels led by national and international experts; a progressive film screening series; practical training sessions and workshops; and the most concentrated gathering of progressive bloggers to date.
The origin of Netroots Nation is traced to a time when a tremendous and growing number of citizens gathered every day in the virtual world to raise their collective voice and proactively influence their government. That group is broadly called the Netroots and has since grown to include progressive organizations and politicians who use new media technologies to communicate with their constituents.
Additional Event Experience
- Tour of Missouri, VIP Manager (September 2007, 2009)
- Tour de Georgia, Corporate Hospitality Manager (April 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008)
- WUSA Founders Cup II, Media Relations (August 2002)
- MLS Championship Cup, Media Relations (October 2000, November 2001)
- MLS All-Star Game, Media Relations (August 2000, July 2001, July 2002)
- Kansas City Chiefs, Press Box/Media Relations (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)
Dec 2007 - Present
Kos Media, LLC (Daily Kos)
Founded in May 26, 2002, Daily Kos is the premier online political community with 2.5 million unique visitors per month and 215,000 registered users. It is at once a news organization, community, and activist hub. Among luminaries posting diaries on the site are President Jimmy Carter, President Barack Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and dozens of other senators, congressmen, and governors. Even more exciting than that however, are the hundreds of thousands of regular Americans that have used Daily Kos to shape a political world once the exclusive domain of the rich, connected, and powerful.
Jan 2009 - Present
Netroots Nation Yes We Can! Inauguration Party
(Sold-out) Inauguration celebration for new media and grassroots advocates, featuring more than a dozen sponsors, 1,000 attendees, and numerous high profile speakers and guests, including Governor Howard Dean, Rep. Donna Edwards, Nate Silver - FiveThirtyEight.com, and more. Netroots Nation Yes We Can!
- Identified venue options
- Created and presented sponsorship opportunities
- Worked with Netroots Nation staff to promote (and sell-out) event via blogging partners and social media
- Oversaw staff on-site, including all volunteer efforts
- Worked closely with selected venue to ensure a smooth event
- Hired entertainment
- Managed sponsor fulfillment
Apr 2009 - Present
(Sold-Out) Bay Area New Media Summit + Celebration
Presented by Netroots Nation and the Netroots Arts and Education Initiative
Technology played a pivotal role in the 2008 election and has forever changed the political landscape. Come hear some of the Bay Area's leading technology and civic leaders discuss how new media is changing not only politics and democracy—but society and business, too. Learn how to use new media to promote your cause or organization, then stick around to celebrate the accomplishments of Netroots activists and Bay Area innovators who pioneered these groundbreaking online organizing techniques.
Friday, April 17, 2009Bently Reserve, 301 Battery Street, San Francisco
SUMMIT: Noon to 6 p.m.Featuring workshops and demonstrations led by industry experts on topics such as blogging, viral video, mobile campaigns and social networking (schedule TBA, please arrive by 11:30 a.m. to check in)
CELEBRATION: 7 to 11 p.m.Special guest: San Francisco District Attorney Kamala HarrisLive music by Eoin Harrington and DJ Dan AnconaOpen bar, hors d'oeuvres
2007 - Present
Nov 2009 - Feb 2010
Consultant - Social Media
- Collaborated on the launch of a climate change awareness campaign, utilizing social media (Twitter, Facebook, Capturing mobile numbers)
Jan 2008 - Sep 2008
The BIG Tent in Denver
(Sold-out) Blogger and New Media headquarters at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, CO. A collaboration between Daily Kos, ProgressNow, and The Alliance for Sustainable Colorado. It accommodated more than 1,000 bloggers throughout the week and was sponsored by Digg, Google, YouTube, Skype, New Belgium Brewery, Chipotle, Papa John's and approx 100 corporate and non-profit partners. The Big Tent provided a valuable resource for technology-driven independent media, generated worldwide media attention and was documented by The Smithsonian.
Attendees and speakers included Eric Schmidt - CEO, Google, Chris Hughes - Co-Founder Facebook/Director of Online Organizing for Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, Governor Brian Schweitzer - Montana, Governor Christine Gregoire - Washington, Craig Newmark - Founder, Craigslist, Senator Ken Salazaar - CO, Congressman Chuck Schumer -- NY, Jay Adelson - CEO, Digg, Inc., Dan Rather - Journalist, Paul Krugman - Nobel Prize Winner - Economics, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., T. Boone Pickens - Pickens Plan, Arianna Huffington - Huffington Post, Will.I.Am - Musician, Katie Couric - CBS News, and many more.
- Created event name and logo concept
- Managed largely all volunteer effort from multiple non-profits (in lieu of full-time event staff)
- Created sponsorship opportunities and identified potential sponsors
- Raised more than $600,000 in cash and in-kind services for event
- Worked closely with all sponsors to achieve their on-site and online objectives surrounding the event
- Managed more than 200 volunteers on-site
- Worked with PR team to manage media requests and create event awareness
- Created an eco-friendly event with zero plastic or glass, educated patrons on available on-site composting and recycling options
- Purchased all furniture from non-profits and donated furniture back at the conclusion of event
- Worked with sponsors to highlight and utilize eco-efforts for each individual company, setting strict on-site standards for sustainability
- Created a WiFi network stronger than the Denver International Airport
- Worked closely with the Democratic National Convention Committee to provide resources and DNCC credentials for new media
- Created a home for new media at the convention, attracting the biggest names in new media (and traditional media)
- Worked closely with the city of Denver to obtain all necessary permits, security, etc.
- Oversaw massive professional security effort for the weeklong event, working closely with private security staff, local police, Capitol Hill police, and the Secret Service.
Mar 2000 - Apr 2007
Jayhawk Radio and Television Networks
- Identified potential sponsors for The University of Kansas Athletics program through market research and initial sales processes
- Developed, presented, and sold radio and television advertising, including live game broadcasts, coaches shows, specials, highlight reels, and more.
- Developed, sold, and tailored sponsorships and corporate hospitality packages for major corporate sponsors, working closely with each sponsor meet and exceed their sponsorship goals.
- Responsible for contract fulfillment and client relations.
- Managed inventory for ESPN+:Jayhawk Television Network, Jayhawk Radio Network, University of Kansas sports facilities (all signage), Print advertisement, and both on-site and/or remote promotions.
- Event Manager for “The Shootout” at Kemper Arena (annual Kansas men’s basketball game in Kansas City).Duties included managing all sponsor elements – including corporate hospitality, tickets, signage, TV and Radio inventory, event ticket sales and promotion, and all in-arena promotional elements.
- Accounts included:Toyota, Anheuser-Busch, Cingular Wireless (AT&T), American Century Investments, Best Buy, Pizza Hut, Bank of America, Midwest Airlines, Sonic Drive-Ins, Nebraska Furniture Mart, UPS, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas
1998 - 2000
- Generated new season ticket, corporate, group, and special event ticket sales.
- Recognized as top season ticket and group sales leader in 1999
- Established and maintained relationships with community organizations such as The Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts, Special Olympics, YMCA, Campfire Boys & Girls, DARE, Ethnic Enrichment Commission, KC Chamber of Commerce, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, and The FCA.
- Coordinated with local civic leaders from the KC Metro Fire and Police Departments, as well as Labor Unions.
- Created, managed, and implemented on-field activities for special groups.
- Organized and executed Wizards promotional platforms at trade shows, player appearances, community events, and sponsor related appearances.