Director, VF Retail Systems/CIO VF Retail Stores
Apparel Wholesaler and Retailer with revenues of $7 Billion. Company brands include Lee, Wrangler, JanSport, The North Face, Reef, Nautica, Kipling, John Varvatos, Napapijri, and Lucy.
Directed systems development and support for all VF owned retail companies including Nautica, Vans, The North Face, John Varvatos, Kipling, Napapijri and VF Outlets. Total of >400 stores with revenues of ~$800 million. Managed internal staff of 25 managers, business analysts, programmers, and external software package providers.
- Developed VF's retail systems strategy and roadmap to move four major autonomous retail companies with disparate systems, reporting structures, and priorities to common platforms, overcoming suspicion of standardization and gaining support for a defined systems platform.
- Spent time in the stores and retail offices, including unloading trucks and ringing sales, getting to know the people and processes and earning credibility.
- Built matrix for each high level business function with my team that showed multiple systems performing same functions - in some cases there were four different major systems doing the same function across different parts of the organization.
- Built consensus with companies and VF corporate to develop strategy for common systems, working directly with each organization to determine individual priorities within context of larger organization.
- Created retail system standard incorporating current best elements and allowing for on-going transition to enhance or replace existing applications.
- Served as "bridge" between each effort, establishing project teams and steering committees for each initiative to ensure consistency, reduce redundancy, and leverage commonality.
- Implemented CRS Retail POS, Arthur Sales Planning, and Buyer's WorkMate Assortment Planning at multiple VF retail companies. CRS Retail POS laid groundwork for multichannel integration, returns management system which is estimated to reduce fraudulent return rate by 50% and Enterprise selling system designed to reduce lost sales by finding and delivering product to customers not available in stores.
- Strategically realigned retail support organization from individual company focus to functional focus leveraging skills and building consistency throughout the organization.
- Coordinated IT Governance for all VF retail companies, serving on VF Retail Steering Committee to ensure the IS retail strategy remained aligned with overall VF retail strategy. Managed all budgeting, vendor contract negations, Sarbanes Oxley (SOx), and Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance within the retail organizations.