Member of Technical Staff
Blackduck software / [Synopsys Inc]
Brought to blackduck to transition their technology stack to a cloud native offering, worked on 3 core products: our SAAS offering, OpsSight for container scanning at data center scale, and our cloud native product offering for on prem. Built, grew, and trained a team of 6 engineers that had virtually no kubernetes experience to being core cloud native engineers that ultimately built and redesigned all cloud native offerings, unified as a single solution: The blackduck operator.
The OpsSight Connector (Perceptor) Product
- Co-creator of the Perceptor open source platform for cloud native event response, scanning at data center scales, built around its original downstream product, OpsSight scanner.
- Lead, trained a highly dynamic teams of 5 engineers to build an multicontainer platform that operated at 200+node scale with cloud native metrics, logging, and recovery SLAs within 3 months.
The Cloud Native Blackduck Product
- Relentless customer support for all products for my team: creating a direct line of sight from customer driven insights to engineering R&D and implementation. Ported 10s of major customers to on-premise OpenShift and Kubernetes offerings.
- Ported a complex, purely docker based application to a cloud native, unprivileged, kubernetes/openshift offering, including putting specific patches into our products microservices so that they behaved better (i.e. least-privileged, backoff capabilities) in a highly secured and commoditized CPU/memory environments.
- Drove our cloud native offerings adoption with several fortune 500 customers, helping them both adopt and embrace their own changing internal infrastructure alongside the idiosyncracies of our own cloud native security scanning offering (the blackduck hub). Whitegloved customers with end to end kubernetes support: from debugging IPTables and DNS platform issues to distributed storage.
The SAAS Blackduck Product Offering
- Architected and implemented initial kubernetes SAAS offering using cloud SQL, and pure cloud storage solutions on GCE. This used entirely cloud native intenal kubernetes APIs to configure external data storage, secret management, onboarding and provisioning of SAAS instances (using what is now known as the "operator" model).
- Grew the SAAS from a prototype for small scales to the main line of business for all customer types at all scales.
- Design, engineering, and internal training on a continous delivery and ephemeral infrastructure pipeline from scratch for verifying cloud native application offerings on all major platforms (openshift, kubernetes, swarm).
- Open sourced several aspects of the business that needed to have broader transparency and ease of adoption in order to be recognized as valid products by customer segments.
- Ported all infrastructure to terraform deployments, which deployed kubernetes using kubeadm on EC2, VMWare, and GCE. Ultimately this saved the company upwards of 20,000$ a month - and led to the entire team of 50+ engineers using an internal version of our customer SAAS offering for performance and feature testing. This platform supported kubernetes, openshift, and docker swarm.
Convergence: The Blackduck Operator
The above individual elements led to the release and ultimately the go-to-market for the blackduck-operator : A single container that deployed all of our products as a kubernetes operator for customers and developers alike, and remains product of the Cloud Native engineering team at Blackduck / Synopsys. The product was envisioned, implemented, and tested entirely by the engineering team and we also drove the customer integrations and POCs of it.