I was a member of Matthew Humberstone Senior Management Team with responsibility for; Finance and Personnel, Facilities and ICT Management, Resources and Staff Support, Reprographics, School Assessment Data, Administrative and Clerical Line Management (including; Cover, and Examination Staff). This was a very broad role in which I managed a range of Staff Support functions in the school and for which I represented it on the BSF (Building Schools for the Future) team in the authority. The school has approximately 900 students and was split over two sites.
As Facilities and ICT Manager, I was directly responsible for ensuring that the school buildings were run effectively and that the ICT infrastructure delivered what the teachers required for effective teaching and learning to take place. As an ICT and Business Studies teacher, in which I had a year 10 and 11 timetable, I was acutely aware of the requirements placed on the school and its resources.
This experience has in my opinion been invaluable when prioritising and effectively managing these resources. In addition I was the school's finance and support manager. I provided summary financial data to the Head teacher, the other members of the SLT and the Interim Executive Body. I managed the day to day requirements of the administrative team, the staff and the functions they provided.
This was a highly enjoyable role and it gave me the opportunity to manage much of the schools activity whilst I was employed there. In that time I decanted all of Key Stage 3 from the lower school site and remodelled much of the upper site. I installed 3 new ICT suites, a state of the art 16 device multi-function printing and copy solution and started work on the schools new website and virtual learning environment.
In addition through the BSF project, I have worked as part of a team to produce the schools Strategy for Change documentation and I have written the schools ICT Output Specification. I was also a member of the authorities design panel for producing the new virtual learning solution that will be delivered across all schools in North East Lincolnshire. I provided all staff INSET, CPD and training on the ICT facilities in school.
I worked with teachers to create and deliver exciting lessons that take advantage of the technology we had on offer, such as the interactive whiteboards, the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment), the school website and email. I developed the current MIS (Management Information System) so that in addition to registering each child in each lesson, it would now track and assess the students in each lesson and this data was then made available to parents at home via the Internet.
Major Projects and outcomes
- Major decant of 400 students and closure of old school - I costed closure of the lower school site and project managed this to a successful completion on schedule and under budget. The impact for the school has been noted in the recent OFSTED report were both Inspectors and Students reported that being on a single site had improved behaviour and students now felt more part of a single school.
- Full internal decoration refresh of school building - Over the summer of 2008, I produced a full redecoration plan for the remaining site. This was completed on schedule and budget. The project involved painting all internal spaces, repairing all roads and pathways on site and major roof repairs to half the site. In total over 30 separate contractors were involved.
- Redevelopment of existing ICT infrastructure - Over 2008 the current system was expanded from 200 to 300 workstations, 3 new Windows 2003 servers and an additional 10 Interactive whiteboards were installed.
- Replacement of entire print and copying solution - In a move to reduce and fix printing and reprographics costs, I designed and implemented a new 'Follow Me' print solution to the school consisting 17 photocopier based printers.
- Creation of website and online parental reporting system - In order to meet both staff and government objectives, I have installed and configured a new Management Information System (Serco Facility) in order to allow Internet access to all school information via the internet. This has proved to be of major benefit to the staff who are now free to work with this data whenever they require it.
- Restructuring of administrative staff - In conjunction with staff, I have developed several roles and repositioned some to allow better use of skills, that also give benefits to the school, for example promotion of reception employee to exams officer, replacement of retiring caretaker with a developing caretaker from a grounds man role.
- Financial Planning - When I took over the school has a planned deficit of almost half a million, through a restructure of the staff and significant cost saving through the closure of the second site I have now produced a projected balanced budget until the school is set to merge.
Reason for leaving
Following the BSF work that I had undertaken at the school I wanted to gain further experience of BSF delivery in a project that was already live. I wanted to broaden my C.V. by specifically adding LEP and Change Management experience.