Proven communications leader who has delivered double digit growth in brand awareness, media impressions, fundraising and online membership for two international organizations with operations on multiple continents. Led institutional rebranding efforts and designed and executed communications strategies and integrated marketing campaigns with Fortune 500 companies, public relations firms and cross-divisional teams. Served as media spokesperson and led crisis communications efforts. Provided guidance to senior executives, board members and top donors. Managed staff and budgets, sat on leadership teams and served as partner liaison.
2009-2011 Washington Youth Summit on the Environment, George Mason University (Pro-Bono Consultant)
2009-2010 Woodburn Elementary School PTA Fundraising Committee, Community Partnerships
2009-2010 Fairfax County School Board, Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee.
Producer/Associate Producer/Production Assistant
Coordinated daily news broadcasts, special events and breaking news with team of producers, writers and hosts. Directed Atlanta control room operations during live broadcasts. Supervised team of editors, associate producers and production assistants.
2009 - 2011
Senior Director, Communications Strategy & Campaigns
Developed and implemented global communications strategies and integrated campaigns for branding, fundraising, policy change, online membership growth and partnership development. Supervised media, communications strategy and internal communications teams. Ensured consistency of campaigns and branding internationally through oversight of field communicators. Wrote institutional crisis communications manual.
- Designed and launched institutional communications, marketing and branding strategy with SVP to align with organization’s new mission, vision and operations.
- Developed and project managed communications campaigns which resulted in increasing CI’s membership by 40 percent, international environmental policy changes and new partnerships.
- Presented strategic initiatives to board of directors, institutional executive team and top donors.
- Led crisis response team and provided guidance to senior executives during sensitive situations including the BP oil spill, corporate greenwashing accusations and field office closures.
2004 - 2009
Director, Communications & Marketing, Corporate Partnerships Division
Managed communications & marketing team for CI’s Center for Environmental Leadership in Business, during which time corporate partner revenue grew by 77 percent. Project managed all cause marketing and corporate social responsibility campaigns. Oversaw media engagement, online messaging, print collateral and co-branding. Worked directly with senior executives to develop partnerships with Fortune 500 companies.
- Project managed campaigns with partners including Starbucks, McDonald’s, DreamWorks and Disney generating millions of dollars in revenue, hundreds of millions of brand impressions, a 400 percent increase in unaided brand awareness and a 30 percent membership jump.
- Led $2 million effort to build and launch “Team Earth,” a consumer education and advocacy campaign, with SC Johnson, Dell, Harrah’s, Wrigley, Starbucks and eBay. Teamearth.org saw nearly 90,000 visitors and a 95 percent subscriber conversion rate during launch phase.
- Developed communications strategy guiding high-risk engagement with Wal-Mart as their first environmental partner and placed story featuring partnership on cover of Fortune Magazine.
- Overhauled corporate communications and marketing approach, enhancing CI’s work with the private sector as a core institutional brand attribute.
2001 - 2004
Media Manager, Corporate Partnerships Division
Developed and implemented international media strategy launching CI’s new corporate partnerships division - The Center for Environmental Leadership in Business. Served as media spokesperson and was responsible for all press releases, media pitching, op-eds, newsletter copy and media training. Raised the profile of CI’s work with the private sector among corporate decision makers, foundations, governments, consumers and staff.
- Secured millions of earned media impressions across multiple top-tier print, television, online and radio outlets. Results included a 15 percent increase in corporate partner revenue, international recognition of CI’s corporate engagement work and a solid pipeline of partnerships and funding.
- Launched new business unit with stories on the front page of The New York Times business section, A-section of The Washington Post and the Associated Press.
- Wrote, produced and distributed first institutional brand building campaign featuring Harrison Ford with media director. Secured over $500,000 of free video and print placements. Worked with United Airlines to feature video onboard all flights and run a full page ad in Hemispheres magazine.
- Wrote first institutional document guiding best practices for communications with corporate partners. Served on cross-divisional team producing institutional corporate engagement policy.
1998 - 2001
Producer, Political Unit
Served on core editorial team producing flagship political talk shows, Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer and Evans, Novak, Hunt & Shields. Conducted topic and guest research, wrote interview questions and anchor copy and laid out editorial calendar. Liaison to offices on Capitol Hill. Supervised team of editors, associate producers and production assistants.
- Elevated Late Edition to top rated news program covering key stories including the Monica Lewinsky scandal and impeachment of President Bill Clinton; the historic 2000 presidential election and five-week Supreme Court battle; the bombing of the USS Cole; and the Elián González immigration struggle.
1995 - 1998
Producer, Business News
Produced top rated business shows, World Business Today and Moneyline with international team. Conducted topic and guest research and wrote anchor copy. Supervised production assistants to coordinate all live shots, video and graphics. Directed live control room operations for World Business Today and oversaw post-production of World Business This Week.
- Team was key part of CNN’s emerging business news division, CNNfn, leading coverage during longest uninterrupted run of economic growth in U.S. History.
“Team Earth,” is a consumer education and advocacy campaign that was launched in partnership with SC Johnson, Dell, Harrah’s, Wrigley, Starbucks and United Airlines. I played a lead role in building and launching this $2 million effort on behalf of Conservation International.
In an effort to halt global deforestation, CI launched a provocative multi-channel campaign to draw attention to the issue and raise brand awareness. I played a lead role in the development and execution across all facets of the campaign.
This video piece was produced to complement the campaign while appealing specifically to a core set of policy makers and business leaders. The more serious tone and content helped achieve key climate change policy changes and new partnerships.
In my final role at CI, I served as liaison to the organization's "Network of Field Communicators." Field Demonstration Projects are vital to informing decision making. This brochure, which could be customized with individual field project inserts, complemented CI's brochure series.
This piece served as both an annual report to our donors, as well as a brochure for our target audiences. I led the full production. This piece, when compared against the updated brochures posted here, illustrates how I helped evolve the branding of this division over time. Prior to this year, the format had been a "designed pdf" file.
This piece served as both an annual report to our donors, as well as a brochure for our target audiences. I led the full production of this piece. This piece, when compared against the updated brochure posted here, illustrates how I helped evolve the branding of this division over time.
In addition to issue brochures, key divisions had print collateral to promote their specific lines of work. This piece (designed prior to the brand identity update) highlighted CI's The Center for Environmental Leadership in Business where I lead communications & marketing for many years.
Protecting the sources and flows of freshwater ecosystems was another focus for Conservation International. This brochure was produced to engage key decision makers and top donors around the issue. My work to develop a communications strategy for this program helped guide the editorial structure of this piece.
Conservation International's Climate Change Strategy had many components. To be efficient, we developed one core brochure, with multiple inserts that could be customized to the audience. The inserts (combined here for ease of viewing) could also be used in other pieces of CI collateral. This model would be replicated across all of the other institutional pieces.
Climate Change was a core issue for Conservation International. I led the strategic effort to work with the Climate Change team to develop a brochure that could be used to engage policy makers, business leaders and top donors.
In 2002, I lead CI's effort to work with actor, and CI board member, Harrison Ford to produce this PSA as part of the organization's first ever branding campaign. The video PSA made its debut on the big screen at the premier of Harrison Ford's movie K-19. 30 & 60 second versions were made available to TV and Radio stations nationally and also appeared on United Airlines.
CI Field offices around the world translated the PSA and put it to use at conferences, trade shows and international meetings further amplifying our message internationally.
Multiple Versions of the Print PSA were made available to magazines and newspapers internationally. United Airlines ran a full page version in their on-board magazine, "Hemispheres." Print and video placements of the campaign totaled $500,000 of free media exposure.
I began my work with Conservation International as the organization's media manager before leading communications and marketing. In my various roles, I directly engaged the media and served as institutional spokesperson where necessary. Here are a few examples of those story placements.
Note: BBC World piece begins after "Conservation Coffee PSA" (approximately :45 seconds in), and is followed by a CI promotional video.