Walters Controls, Inc.
While working as a project manager at Walters Controls, I continued to expand my role as a project manager, continuously working to improve the tools available to other project managers in the company via application development and process streamlining. The role of Technology Specialist was jointly created by Skipper Walters, the owner of Walters Controls, management, and myself on paper in mid-2011, with the position formally filled in Jan. 2012
Part of the shared vision of the "Technology Specialist" position focuses on how we, as a small controls contractor could navigate the future of the controls industry while having a clear handle on the internal technology and software that we use to conduct and grow our business. It was clear that as we grew, we would need software solutions to empower the project managers to meet and exceed project goals.
Working up to the creation of the Technology Specialist position, I have developed and implemented working solutions, with a few applications in the design phase. Some of these include:
- Overhauled network infrastructure to ensure up-time
- Assumed point-of-contact role for all network/internet related issues
- Email server administration and maintenance
- Created application to manage internal computer hardware inventory and peripherals.
- Assist in hardware maintenance, repairs, online part ordering for internal assets
- Responsible for seamless hardware/software upgrade of outdated on-site server
- Developed Hardware Loan-out application- Working with multiple contractors and multiple controls product lines typically can require technical assistance and specialized hardware to aid other subcontractors in the completion of the project. An application was developed to streamline these interactions and track computer hardware and software as we partner with these contractors.
Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Created, implemented, and currently maintain backup strategy for all company owned data relying on continuous on-site and off-site concurrent backup.
- Created and currently maintain company website, updated domain registration information, and all hosting contracts
- Monitor and ensure high page-rank on search engine for business exposure
- Developed easy to use tools for transferring large files our partners
- Create and maintain unified marketing materials (e.g. logos, print advertising, business correspondence
Employee Empowerment and Support
- Developed and maintain an internal knowledge-sharing forum
- Developed a "Technician Portal", allowing technicians in the field to access technical literature on our products via mobile interface
- Train all employees on all HVAC controls software packages used by Walters Controls
Other Software Developed
- Application to streamline graphics creation for the Honeywell Symmetre software.
- Application to generate, assign, and monitor progress on assigned work order and service requests.
- Application to track job materials from delivery at WCI warehouse to jobsite
- Application to track company software resources
- Application to enable the project manager to fully manage the total project, from engineering, to submittal phases, to controls installation, and finally checkout and commissioning