City of Chicago
Department of Water Management, Office of the Commissioner
Attorney - May 2008 to Present
- Working jointly with the Chicago Department of Transportation, the Department of Revenue and the Department of Law to systematically redesign and implement an efficient cost recovery program.
- Design and implement procedures to ensure compliance with the Illinois Underground Utility Facilities Damage Prevention Act.
- Supervision of multi-million dollar contract involving an outside vendor responsible for location of all Department facilities for damage prevention.
- Registered Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA") officer for the department.
- Collaborating with the Department of Law to coordinate the deposition workload of the Department,investigating circumstances and facts in tort matters and interviewing witnesses regarding complaints, arbitration, and lawsuits involving the department and staff.
- Representing the Department in Administrative Proceedings and Arbitration Hearings.
- Reviewing and interpreting Procurement Contracts and Collective Bargaining agreements.
Department of Law, Revenue Litigation Division/Collections and Ownership
Assistant Corporation Counsel - May, 2005 to May, 2008
- Advise numerous City departments, including the Department of Revenue, Finance, the BenefitsManagement Office and the Water Department on policy, cost recovery and litigation matters; supervise outside counsel, representing the City in collections and subrogation cases; appear in the Department of Administrative Hearings, circuit court, and federal court on behalf of City departments.
- Review and analysis of collective bargaining agreements in determining course of action to recover over-payments made to employees - recovery of 95% of the over-payments.
- Handle discovery, defended depositions, related motions and oral arguments in multiple courts. Drafting legal memoranda.
- Sole adviser to the Benefits Management Office on collection, subrogation and eligibility issues. Handled wage garnishment and child support cases for the Office. Review and analysis of health plans. Investigation and prosecution of Employee Benefits fraud. Ensuring compliance with HIPPA laws.
- Revised the City Comptroller's Office case management system bringing the Office into compliance with applicable law.
- Developed and maintained Revenue Litigation Division case-management database to track money collected by attorneys in the division. Deputy now depends upon this database to report division progress to the Corporation Counsel and First Assistant.
- Designed and implemented cost recovery system for the City Clerk's Office to recover funds lost due to bounced checks resulting in collecting 70% of the outstanding debt in a time month time period.
Department of Law, Building and Land Use Litigation
Assistant Corporation Counsel - May, 2002 to April 2005
- Extensive trial work involving building code enforcement actions in Chancery Court, Housing Court, and Administrative Hearings. Drafted and argued temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, mandatory permanent injunctions, consent decrees, emergency vacate orders, and motions for summary judgment.
- Member of the Building and Land Use Editorial Committee, which drafted the division procedures and legal positions on a multitude of issues.
Department of Law, Municipal Prosecutions Division
Law Clerk/Assistant Corporation Counsel - May, 1999 to April, 2002
- Supervised numerous law clerks in the Traffic Section.
- Conducted extensive argument and drafting pursuant to the Illinois Administrative Review Act.Prosecuted vehicle impoundment case against drug, illegal gun, and prostitution offenders in Administrative Court.
- Drafted proposed legislation as a result of client-cost analysis. Created and maintained case management system.