Jan 2012 - Mar 2012
I completed a Cengage online course for marketing of internet based business. The material was excellent, and the online format provided me a way to advance my education on a convenient schedule. This course added value to my understanding of Business in the biggest retail growth area; the world wide web!
Sep 1988 - Jun 1991
B.F.A. Industrial Design
I completed R.I.S.D. in the top 5% G.P.A. of my graduating class. R.I.S.D. was was wonderful experience and very influential in the development of my creative approach to problem solving in design and business development. The school continues to provide resources well beyond the education I received.
Jared Forsyth Hanscom is currently a consultant for the development of creatively driven businesses. Born into an industrious family of entreprenurial inventors, Jared started his career in his family's business where his grandfather and father invented the twist tie and held numerous associated patents.
Shortly after graduating from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1991 with a B.F.A. in Industrial Design,
Jared moved to New York City to pursue his career. What followed was nearly two decades of close collaboration with the Owner and President of the international accessories brand Barry Kieselstein-Cord. See www.kieselstein-cord.com.
Starting as a designer, Jared rose within the company to take on managerial roles and finally become Vice President of Kieselstein-Cord. For 20 years, Jared designed products following the K-C brand direction, and developed new business opportunities launching numerous start up ventures within the Kieselstein-Cord Brand franchise.
In March of 2011, Jared left Kieselstein-Cord to pursue interests as a consultant to creatively driven businesses. He is currently working under an exclusive arrangement with VisCo, AS Norway to drive exposure and sales for a new 3D visualization software product and service aimed at the Oil and Gas business.
Jared is married to the Norwegian painter, Torild Stray. They live jointly between Norway and Brooklyn with their daughter Helena. He is an avid sailor, competing and winning in local Division 1 races.
My biggest hobbies are sailing, bike commuting, and mountain hiking with my family. I love all forms of skiing. In my youth, I raced motorcycles and offshore power boats, but have come to prefer wind powered competition.
Social and communication
Mar 2011 - Present
Owner and President
- UTILITY MOVEMENT has been providing valuable consulting services since march of 2011 with Jared as the principle consultant. During that time, Jared has provided services for product and business development to 4 main clients in architectural accessories, branded apparel retail, toy retail, and Visualization services.
- The sole client since July of 2012 has been VisCo AS, where Jared currently holds the role of Executive Sales for Interactive Solutions. Building on his 20 years of experience developing and launching new ventures, Jared is a principle in the effort to commercialize VisCo's new vCog software towards the Oil and Gas market in Norway.
2007 - Mar 2011
- Provided oversight for daily business operations under the direction of the Owner, with shared responsibility of new business development, and brand management.
- Represented the Kieselstin-Cord Brand as guest of honor at the Brand Debut in Asia comprised of a 3 day event which included a gala dinner, ribbon cutting ceremony, and international TV and print media one on one interviews.
2003 - Mar 2011
- Headed the start up of the Barry Cord for QVC division of Kieselstein-Cord studio's.
- Duties included; implementing the creative direction of Barry Cord, designing numerous sterling silver jewelry collections; outsourcing overseas production; interfacing with QVC for business development and lead generation; representing the Barry Cord brand on multiple, one-hour, live broadcasts including a sold-out show.
2000 - Mar 2011
VP of Design
- Managed the design department, designed collections following the established K-C brand aesthetic; headed licensed divisions; directed product development; managed design staff; made sales presentations; acted as a brand spokesperson.
- Collections included: fine jewelry, diamond jewelry, sterling silver jewelry, watches in precious metal/stainless steel/sterling silver, couture hand bags, belts, belt buckles, leather and knit cashmere gloves, scarves, men's neckwear, eyewear, lead crystal home furnishings (Steuben), cast bronze decorative objects, and sterling silver barware.
1995 - 2006
Designer, Sterling Silver division
- Spearheaded the reintroduction of the Sterling Silver Sport Jewelry division for wholesale through Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus stores, and K-C brand boutiques worldwide. Responsible for all operations within this division.
- Designed multiple seasonal collections and helped generate first year sales of $3.8 million.