Mesa Middle School
Collaborated with students, teachers, parents, and professionals to educate students and develop positive work habits within the context of a Drama classroom, Play and Musical Productions, a Drama Club, a Student Leadership group, and as a component of a larger school of learning teams. Provided all students with opportunities to create, perform, and critically respond in group and individual projects where they explored drama concepts that connect to experiences beyond the classroom. Accomplishments:
*In the past two and half years at Mesa, my students, coworkers, and I have established an impactful Drama Program in the following ways:
- Student-Driven work in the classroom and in after school productions.
- Establishment of a Student-Led Theatre Council that allows students to lead the department in making decisions.
- Successful Charter and growth of International Junior Thespian Troupe 89186, which leads an after school Drama Club, and has participated in the State and National Junior Thespian Festival Workshops and Individual Performances to get students involved in a safe space and provide opportunities for more in-depth theatre experiences.
- Recognition for students who have qualified for the International Thespian Conference and attendance at an arts magnet school.
- 5 successful Musical and Play productions in 5 semesters, where an increased technical and acting rigor was established in productions that are student-run. I believe we succeeded in our top priority of empowering many students who experienced great performances and wonderful audience support.
- Cultivation of a community where students, families, and teachers have a safe space to get involved in various opportunities and create performances that are a point of pride for our school.