Oct 2011 - Present
Senior Vice President
Goldman Sachs and Co
- Lead global team of valuation experts responsible for risk management of independent valuation verification process including reporting, setting policy, and IT implementation.
- Multi-asset valuation analysis including structured notes, ABS and other derivatives (Equity, Commodities, Interest Rate, etc.)
- Management of SFAS 157/ASC 820 related disclosures for derivative and cash fair value hierarchy determination including group, pension and 401K assets and liabilities.
- Provide project management and strategic direction to increase firm effectiveness and risk management capabilities across many firm initiatives.
- Liaise with external financial auditors, regulators (Federal Reserve, SEC) and other industry groups (FINRA) on various aspects of financial valuation and reporting.
Feb 2006 - Sep 2011
Head of Controllers Pricing and Valuation Group - Asia
Goldman Sachs Japan
- Senior Vice President in charge of team responsible for price verification of firm's Asia portfolio and related disclosures of fair value (SFAS 157/ASC 820).
- Designed and implemented offshore team for client valuation verification in India (Bangalore) which both bolstered internal controls and reduced headcount cost globally.
- Extensive valuation work on portfolios of complex financial assets (examples include equity derivatives, FX hybrid and structured instruments and non-performing loans).
- Designed and implemented Business Practices Committee (approx 14 managing partners in Asia) under president of Goldman Sachs Japan, that reviewed key business practices in Asia (e.g. Structured Note Issuance, E-businesses, private client distribution and new country entrance) for appropriateness.
- Management and direction of Committee for 2 years including the determination of most pressing subjects to be reviewed, ensuring timely follow-up and closure of issues, providing minutes and liaising with external regulatory auditors.
Nov 1999 - Jan 2006
Finance and Operations Project Management, Asia
- Developed and integrated new business processes across financial and operational areas (including Operations, Finance, Treasury, and Legal/Compliance).
- Team lead on loans project in incorprate new lending entity outside of the broker dealer.
- Team lead on futures services projects to implement straight through futures clearing.
- Led regulatory inspection response team for the Japanese broker dealer entity (20 to 30 people firm wide ) as part of a 1+ year project to implement regulator improvement of past deficiencies..
- Led on-site inspection team (10 to 15 people) reporting to the president of the Japan broker dealer responsible for coordinating the broker dealer inspection. Liaised with senior Japanese inspectors from Financial Services Authority and all internal functions (legal, compliance, operations) to ensure prompt and clear issue resolution. Final inspection results included no sanctions and viewed extremely positive by the most senior members of the firm.
Jun 1998 - Oct 1999
Management Consultant - Japan
- Responsible for the design and implementation of flows to facilitate a initial public offerings across Operations, Treasury and other groups for a major US bank operating in Japan.
- Lead team of consultants to design contingency plans across the entire Japanese arm of a US firm for Y2K systems response.
Sep 1993 - Aug 1996
Senior Research Scientist
- Eleventh employee of a start-up pharmaceutical company specializing in the research of non-systemic therapies for renal failure and high cholesterol.
- Promoted to senior research scientist in 2 years time.
- Personal research lead directly to the design and development of 2 commercially available pharmaceutical therapies: RenaGel and Cholestyramine.
- Product development leading to public offering and eventual acquisition by Genzyme.
Salem State University, Salem MA
Sep 1996 - Jun 1998
University of Washington
- Masters of Business Administration - Certificate in International Finance .
- 6 months international study at Waseda University Japan.
Sep 1989 - Jun 1992
Johns Hopkins University
- Masters of Arts in Chemistry,
- Focused on biomemetic inorganic structures
- Japanese Fluency (speaking), Advanced level (reading and writing)
- Mandarin Chinese basic ability
- Chartered Financial Analyst Chartholder (Since 2002)
- Complete proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Basic knowledge of Java and Python programming
- Three generations of bile acid sequestrants. Mandeville, W. H., III; Braunlin, W.; Dhal, P.; Guo, A.; Huval, C.; Miller, K. L.; Petersen, J.; Polomascanik, S.;Rosenbaum, D.; Sacchiero, R.; Ward, J.; Holmes-Farley, S. R.; Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. (1999), 550, 3-15.
- Colesevelam hydrochloride: Synthesis and testing of a novel polymer gel pharmaceutical. Holmes-Farley, S. R; Mandeville, W. H.; Miller, K. L.; Petersen, J.; Ward, J.; Sacchiero, B.; Maloney, C.; Brochu, S.; Rosenbaum, D.; Goldberg, D.; Norton, K. A.; Chen, X.; Mazzeo, J. R.. Polym. Preprints (2000), 41(1), 735-736.
- Design and characterization of Sevelamer Hydrochloride: a novel phosphate-binding pharmaceutical. Holmes-Farley, S. R.; Mandeville, W. H., III; Ward, J.; Miller, K. L.; Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng (1998), 79, 280-281 and also in J. M. S.- Pure and Appl. Chem., A36(7&8), p. 1085 (1999).