Providing support throughout the entire IT network. I was required to have input in architectural design meetings, implementation of solutions into mission critical environments, documentation and ongoing support of the high availability measures put in place. I was involved in every aspect of the organisations IT infrastructure and interfaced with many different groups of the IT structure to work out best solutions. I worked across a number of technologies including VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, Netapp SAN.
My day to day activities included incident and problem resolution, preventative maintenance, capacity management and commissioning of virtual servers and desktops. I was responsible for the estimation, planning and implementation of system upgrades and deployments as required, as well as developing and documenting work instructions required to support new systems and clients. Applying ITIL incident problem and change management principles.
Ability to work outside of normal business hours and participate in the on-call support roster
Designing, implementing, and administering the new vSphere platform;
- Virtualization of organization`s existing physical server fleet to the virtual vSphere environment. Planning and virtualizing SQL, Exchange, AD, Web and Application Servers using VMware converter.
- Installing and configuring ESX 4.0 servers
- Installing and configuring vCenter Server
- Ensuring high availability and business continuity via configuring DRS (distributed resource scheduling), HA (high availability), FT (fault tolerance), creating and configuring resource pools.
- Monitoring VMware vSphere performance
- Configuring and managing VMware vSphere access controls, permissions, roles and responsibilities
- Creating and managing virtual networks, vswitches, isolated, production and test networks
- Creating and managing virtual machines, templates in VMs running various operating systems Windows and Linux
- Troubleshooting ESX, VM issues
- Liaising with VMware for further support, product updates and demo
- Administration of organization`s NetApp SAN environment (SAN-FAS3140)
- Installing Fibre Channel host kit utilities, configuring multipathing
- Performing individual non upgrades of nodes to newer version of Data Ontap, shelf and disk firmware
- Enabling and administering active-active controller configuration
- Managing storage controllers via Data Ontap 22.214.171.124 by Filer view and Netapp system manager.
- Adding new FC, SATA disks to storage system, assigning disk ownership, creating aggregates
- Creating, configuring, and resizing FlexVol volumes, traditional volumes.
- Space reservations, estimating how large a volume needs to be for various requirements i.e. VMware, archiving, CIFS and NFS shares
- Liaising with Netapp for complex support and troubleshooting
- Architecturally designing, installing, configuring of organization`s Citrix Presentation Server farms for various UCA regions.
- Acting as a 3rd level technical mentoring role for Citrix
- Knowledge of networking including LAN, WAN, Firewalls, TCP/IP, DNS, FTP, HTTP, SSL
- Involved in the design and roll out of other infrastructure projects
- Acting as a senior resource.
- Taking full ownership of escalated issues and managing problems through to resolution.
- Working closely with project managers, producing required as built, design and other documents.
- Understanding and experience with various project management methodologies.
- Organizing product demos with external vendors and assessing new technologies such as Microsoft, VMware View, Thin Print, Appsense