Led a 250 member $65 million manufacturing facility with 9 direct reports. Managed a $30 million annual cost of goods budget and $10 million overhead budget. Produced electronic tanning beds for the commercial and private marketing sectors. Focus was on all operations departments with no direct responsibility sales and marketing comparable to a vice president operations or general manager.
Contributions Snapshot: Hired to lead turnaround of a marginally successful non-profitable company to take it to the next level. Manufacturing policy was a traditional agenda with no regard for any waste elimination strategies accounting for no inventory controls, high overhead, low throughput, low quality and virtually no metrics to measure success. Developed the Strategic Business System that incorporated Lean Manufacturing techniques to create a world class environment. Created a best-in-class environment incorporating systems that greatly improved safety, increased quality awareness, reduced costs, reduced inventories, and improved throughput leading the company back to profitability.
- Designed and implemented a strategic business system based on several automotive models with a primary focus on the Toyota Production System, QS 9000 and ISO 9000.
- Reduced manufacturing overhead costs by approximately 50%, focusing on expense budget control and three-way quoting for new and renewed contracts.
- Increased throughput by 20% and reduced direct labor by 30% by redesigning assembly line layout from long linear lines to lean cellular manufacturing concepts using takt time and cycle time evaluations.
- Decreased indirect labor by 45% by increasing quality levels placing the emphasis of quality on the team member creating the value added.Quality Auditing department was reduced from 24 technicians to 2 technicians.
- Refocused direction of company’s cash flow by eliminating waste in inventory management from $18 million to $7.5 million managing work-in-process and finished goods through kanban and days supply management.
- Managed inventory at the suppliers versus in-plant storage increasing green space for new product lines.
- Managed lead times and reduced days on hand from in excess of 300 to less than 100. Focused on obsolete with new product launches reducing inventory from over $1 million to less than $100 thousand.
- Reduced accidents from 30+ to less than 10 annually by incorporating 5S principles.
- Responsible for FDA quality system requirements and ETL compliance for all equipment.
- Key team member for introducing the AXAPTA ERP system for manufacturing.
- Incorporated Sales and Operations planning versus using the sales forecast to manage finished goods, reducing inventory from $8 million to less than $2million.
- Responsible for following FDA and ETL guidelines in the design and operation of all equipment.