Seeking a position within the marketing/advertising industry that enables me to apply the knowledge and skills I have gained throughout my four years in the Roy H. Park School of Communications.
Mary M. Marsden, a recent graduate of Ithaca College’s Roy H. Park School of Communications, received a B.S. degree in Integrated Marketing Communications with a minor in Sociology. While studying abroad at the Ithaca College London Center in the spring of 2008, she attended classes and interned at Blurb Music PR, a London-based independent public relations agency specializing in artist promotion and consultation.
Her peers elected Maggie as the Vice President of Ithaca College’s chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America. She is responsible for event planning, agency/firm visits and weekly group meetings or workshops. PRSSA’s major events include “Make-a-Swish for Make-a-Wish” charity basketball tournament and “PR Works” networking night.
In summer 2009, Maggie worked as a marketing intern at the Scientific & Cultural Facilities District, a cultural tax district located in Denver, CO. During that time, Maggie was responsible for marketing communications, event planning, social media, organization and training of volunteers. Earlier in her college career, Maggie interned on the marketing committee of the Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF), assisting with the design of promotional materials. She was also the marketing research intern at theDelaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor and Carbon County Partners for Progress. There, she successfully collected and reported data for a tourism study and the 2008 Carbon County Needs Assessment Study.
Born and raised in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, Maggie attended Jim Thorpe Area Senior High School where she was Editor-in-Chief of her high school newspaper, The Olympiad. She considers herself an early adopter and enjoys media (more specifically – SNL), cooking, making playlists and spending time with her family, friends, and three dogs in her free time.
Currently, Maggie is looking to secure a position within the marketing/advertising industry.
She is seeking an opportunity that will enable her to apply the knowledge and skills she has gained throughout her experiences and relevant coursework while attending the Roy H. Park School of Communications.
Oct 2008 - Present
• Hostess at restaurant & bar; booked reservations and weekly live entertainment
Jun 2009 - Aug 2009
• Increased marketing efforts for SCFD, a tax district which distributes funds to over 300 non-profit organizations throughout the seven-county Denver metropolitan area• Expanded leadership and organizational skills by coordinating marketing campaigns at the Cherry Creek Arts Festival and Polarpalooza, SCFD’s 20th Anniversary Celebration• Created and maintained social media accounts, developed promotional materials, planned events/activities, gained sponsorships, recruited and trained 15 volunteers, created the concept for SCFD 2008 Annual Report
May 2008 - Aug 2008
Market Research Intern
Carbon County Partners for Progress
• Collected and tabulated data for the 2008 Carbon County Needs Assessment• Study was initiated to develop a strategy in order to unite communities and improve overall quality of life. • Direct mail surveys were sent to 15,000 residents, with a successful 26% return rate
May 2006 - Aug 2008
Market Research Intern
• Welcomed and surveyed visitors at various historical landmarks • Conducted and reported research for tourism and economic impact study
Aug 2005 - Aug 2008
Hostess & Server
• Hostess at contemporary Italian restaurant & bar • Catered large events on- and off-site (business meetings, weddings, showers, etc.) • Welcomed and checked in guests to "The Lantern", an attached hotel
Jan 2008 - May 2008
Public Relations Intern
• Promoted artists/bands through online, radio, print outlets; obtained international, regional and student media coverage for clients; coordinated press events and concerts at London venues; compiled media reports• Headed an online marketing/PR campaign that developed personal leadership and time management skills• Provided consultancy and specialist music industry advice to new and established artists
Oct 2003 - Apr 2008
Chatelaine Handcrafted Jewelry
• Supervised and trained employees, maintained store layout, prepared financial reports, managed inventory, planned merchandise orders, developed in-store promotional materials, provided customer service
May 2007 - Aug 2007
Located in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania• Worked from central HR office of 375 employees; recruited and placed employees within various departments; maintained database; prepared reports on employee updates and performance; assisted with payroll
Feb 2007 - Apr 2007
Occurs annually in Ithaca, NY • Designed and distributed marketing/promotional materials • Provided hospitality to guests and visiting filmmakers
Aug 2006 - May 2010
Vice President of Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) Ithaca College
- Elected by peers as Vice President of student-run organization
- Responsible for motivating members, coordinating and directing committee and Chapter activities
- Served as a counselor to the President by recommending goals, objectives, plans and programs
- Our major events include: “Make-a-Swish for Make-a-Wish” Basketball Tournament, and “PR Works” networking night