A strategic, results-oriented Senior Designer/Art Director with over 20 years of experience in the retail, food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries. Accomplished in graphic design, photo direction and the full gamut of packaging and printing applications. Proven expertise in building strong collaborative relationships with Senior Management, staff and clients. An innovative professional with the branding know-how to increase overall sales and growth.
Dec 2002 - Present
Loblaws Brands Limited
Canada's premier food retailer with brands such as President's Choice, President's Choice Blue Menu, President's Choice Organics, and No Name packaging.
- Redesigned all major packaging brands, resulting in increased market visibility and sales. Managed the design and layout of packaging concepts, including directing the retouching and final digital artwork.
- Liaised and collaborated with the Internal Editorial and Regulatory Affairs departments through project-related interactions on a daily basis. Built and supported a cohesive team promoting maximum staff productivity and efficiency in a fast-paced corporate environment.
- Supervised both on and off-site photography and art direction of assigned projects in conjunction with the Internal Photo Studio and external photographers. Directed the successful photographic presentation of corporate food products, significantly increasing their shelf-presence across all national store locations.
Jul 1994 - Apr 2002
Watt International/ The Watt Group
Consulted and liaised with external clients by leading on-site presentations and directly supervising three design teams' work production. Provided the final sign-off for digital production art, pre-press, film and final press-proofing.
- Wal-Mart/General Electric: Designed a highly successful premium-tier packaging program consisting of over 200 products. Built and strengthened the brand identity relationship between Hamilton Beach and General Electric to provide small appliances for all Wal-Mart Stores in the USA, Canada and Mexico.
- Wal-Mart's 'Great Value' Hardlines Program: Executed an exclusive, national brand equivalent for all non-food items which exceeded 1000 different products, ranging from household cleaners and detergents to paper products and freezer bags.
- Cott Corporation: Effected strategic design solutions by transforming a low-cost, third party producer of soft drinks into the third largest manufacturer behind Coca-Cola and Pepsi. Promoted the company's expansion and product supply to almost every major supermarket and retail chain across North America, Europe and the Far East.
Jan 1992 - Jun 1994
Senior Graphic Designer
The Watt Group
Designed packaging and applied graphics from concept to hand-off prior to finished art for clients such as Wal-Mart Global, the world's largest retailer, HWI Hardware, and A. L.Van Houtte Inc.
- The Nabob Coffee Company: Repositioned and re-launched the company resulting in taking over 28% of the market-share in the first year. Recognized by Kraft Canada Inc. to be a major competitor resulting in the purchase of Nabob Coffee Company which now owns 80% of the coffee category.
- Loblaws Retail Graphics: Introduced a new flagship store launch which became the benchmark for other food retailers. Promoted standard store zones by applying in-depth knowledge and application of graphic expertise.
Apr 1988 - Dec 1992
Client's included: Alexander Julian, Bank of Bermuda, Ciba Giegy, Faber-Castell, Jane's Foods, Molson Breweries, Moosehead Breweries, Ortho Pharmaceuticals, Schering Canada Inc. and Whitehall Robins.
Designed national brand packaging and applied graphics from concept to hand-off prior to finished art.