As a student pursuing a degree in journalism and communication studies at James Madison University, advertising is a natural progression of my interests and abilities. I am creative, enthusiastic and inquisitive and would appreciate the opportunity to learn more.
To secure a job in the media industry
Writing, reading food related books, photography, social media, traveling, running and dining out.
Jan 2007 - Present
• Craft and pitch monthly JMU alumni human-interest articles to a readership of more than 50,000.• Edit entire issue prior to being published. Help coordinate layout and brainstorm headlines directly with editor. Magazine recently won CASE Grand Award for Magazine publishing.• Conducted private interviews ranging from PR figure, Harold Burson, to Broadway producer of “Rock of Ages.” Burson article went on to run in school’s communication newsletter and website.
Jan 2010 - Present
- Target college females through daily feature articles, polls and pictures
- Article was featured on the day of website's launch which had over 5,000 views
- Write restaurant reviews for local downtown businesses
Jun 2009 - Aug 2009
Account Management Intern
• Researched and targeted social media strategies for Philips, Sallie Mae, and Hiscox Insurance. Included competitive positioning and strategies to improve consumer production for clients. Deck was used directly in presentation to Sallie Mae client.• Reorganized, proofread and constructed spreadsheets for Philips grooming campaign all under deadline. Research was used for Philips client, Tribal creative and account, overseas vendors and legal prior to U.S. and Canada website launch.• Edited Guinness global website prior to 250th Anniversary worldwide promotion of their new stout and “Remarkable Experiences” contest.
Sep 2005 - Jun 2006
2006-2007 "DAILY PRESS" NEWSPAPER
• Feature writer for publication with over 250,000 circulation and ranked #100 most read newspaper in the U.S.• Innovative and key contributor during brainstorm sessions. Wrote article on college student in the Peace Corps volunteering in Burkina Faso, Africa. Story was later picked up by an out-of-state publication• Wrote story and conducted international telephone interview with top ranked band, Panic! At the Disco.