ENTREPRENEURIAL NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVE
-Expert at identifying and driving new value-creating opportunities in start-up and high-growth environments-
- Devise and implement strategic solutions to a wide range of business challenges.
- Identify and leverage corporate assets and relationships to create value, increase market share, and drive revenue.
- Influence change, achieve objectives, and lead projects in traditional and entrepreneurial environments across diverse consumer-driven industries.
New Revenue Stream Creation - Creative Team Development - Licensing & Publishing
Mergers & Acquisitions - Mobile Device Apps - Online Marketing & E-Commerce
Sales Promotions - Direct Marketing - Contract Negotiations - Publicity & Investor Relations
P & L Accountability - Partnership Development - Legal Affairs
Public Speaking & Presentations - Business Planning & Ideation
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Led a branded content enterprise that generated more than $9.0 million in revenue with Office Depot, Seagrams, BusinessWeek, Playskool, Burger King, Toys R Us, and others.
- Grew a one dimensional marketing program with Burger King into a multi-faceted engagement incorporating the creation of four magazines targeted to kids and tweens, a series of comic books, ten children's books, a kids meal toy program, and a database marketing initiative that escalated from 1.6 million members to 4.2 million members in 16 months.
- Devised and sold more than $1 million in exclusive product programs to Macys, Clark Retail/White Hen Pantry, and Kirklands.
- Represented high profile individuals including Robin Roberts (Good Morning America/ESPN), Bobby Unser (3x Indy 500 champion), Carla Overbeck (captain of US Women's Soccer Team, Olympic Gold Medalist, World Cup Champion), Mark Weber (CEO Donna Karan/LVMH US) and Terry Dubrow, MD (celebrity plastic surgeon from NBC's The Swan) and created and sold publishing programs featuring them.
- Staged an $18.50 million IPO as the co-founder of a special purpose acquisition corporation (SPAC), conducted an aggressive M&A initiative, and signed a $36 million merger agreement.
- Increased revenue and profit of an independent publishing company more than 100% by (i) developing direct relationships with key account retailers (ii) creating cost-effective publishing programs with houseware brands including Betty Crocker, Meyer/Bon Jour, Nestle and others, (iii) expanding sales rep coverage, and (iv) lowering manufacturing costs more than 30% via consolidating Asian printing.
Cohl Media/CL Media, Los Angeles, CA 2000 to present
Founder & President/Managing Partner
Management consulting and marketing firms specializing in non-traditional revenue generation.
Created marketing, licensing and promotional programs with Avis Budget Group, MGM Home Entertainment, Cinema Events, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bobby Unser, Wayman Tisdale, Clark Retail, Broadway Television Network, ControlCommerce, DollarDays.com, Seagrams, and others. Directed a reverse merger between a private Internet company and a UK public company that formerly traded on NASDAQ
AFFINITY MEDIA INTERNATIONAL CORP., Los Angeles, CA 2005 to 2008
Founder, President and Board Member
Specific purpose acquisition corporation (SPAC) formed to acquire media companies.
IPO June 2006. Led corporate strategy and operations, including M&A and SEC activities, accounting and auditing, legal affairs and due diligence, public and investor relations, and road show presentations. Explored more than 30 potential target acquisitions, negotiated three letters of intent, and executed one definitive agreement.
SILVERBACK BOOKS, San Francisco & Los Angeles, CA 2004 to 2007
Investor and President
Lifestyle book publishing company.
Directed new business development initiatives, implemented cost saving strategies, and increased industry presence by signing higher profile authors.Gourmet Voice (culinary media awards) jury member, Cannes, France. "Best in the World" Gourmand Cookbook Award for The Hollywood Cookbook: Cooking for Causes. Exited by engineering a management buyout.
Cohl Media, Los Angeles, 2000 to Present
Founder & President
Management consulting and marketing firm specializing in non-traditional revenue generation (see above).
NEWSTAR MEDIA, Los Angeles, CA 1998 to 2000
Executive Vice President, Publishing & Internet Services
Digital audio book publisher.
Oversaw all marketing, business development, and publicity; formed the e-commerce operational team and created a website that sold more than 10,000 titles, spearheaded M&A activity resulting in the acquisition of a complementary competitor, and expanded digital audio publishing into new syndication areas.
AFFINITY COMMUNICATIONS CORP., Los Angeles, CA 1993 to 1998
Senior Vice President
Marketing and publishing consultancy.
Steered operations, project management, business development, and legal matters; managed creative staff; developed branded publishing strategies for Fortune 500 clients and high profile individuals; and established a new health information division, which included the syndication of a column in 300 newspapers, and the production (in China) of a patented mail order healthcare product.
Early Career History: Associate Attorney, Coblentz, Cahen, McCabe & Breyer, San Francisco, CA; Partner, Crossroads Marketing Group (sports marketing agency), Mountain View, CA; Part-Time Lecturer (business communication), USC Marshall School of Business, Los Angeles, CA.