To explore new ways to create and share content with end users, move forward in the field of multimedia and online content, and leverage my print and online experience to create new experiences for users and drive the flow of information across multiple platforms.
My career as a journalist has taught me a lot, both about the topics I cover and about the role of a writer and editor in today's society. I love to learn - about people, about issues, and about trends. My passion for learning is reflected in all my work, whether it's a 300-word blog post, a 12-minute podcast, or a 72-page print edition of a national publication.
I'm detail-oriented and adept at simultaneously managing multiple projects. I have extensive experience in both print and online journalism and believe well-crafted content can and should engage the reader and involve them in the story.
My passion for great design and organization has allowed me to oversee and direct all aspects of content creation, from developing the story itself to planning the way it will look and feel once it has been delivered.
My No. 1 goal is to serve the end user.
Apr 2006 - Present
- Manage the editorial department of the Agent’s Sales Journal, a national business-to-business brand delivering print and online content to more than 700,000 life and health insurance agents each month.
- Responsible for the planning and publication of an average of 50 briefs, profiles, and feature-length articles each month. Plan, assign and create new online content, webinars and award-winning interactive tools on an as-needed basis.
- Format, optimize and load new web content into SharePoint content-management system.
- Create, maintain and enforce an editorial production calendar of 10 to 20 regular projects per month. Manage live projects to ensure on-time and quality delivery.
- Write two original blog posts per week; assign regular guest and contributing bloggers based on trends, topics and potential incoming traffic from their existing following.
- Record a monthly podcast with industry experts; oversee additional podcasts recorded by an associate editor.
- Oversee the production of 11 e-newsletters, each sent to 50,000 professionals twice per month, and an additional e-newsletter sent to 600,000 industry professionals. Ten e-newsletters drive traffic to our brand's featured channels, offering a new level of specialized content to our target audience. Responsible for assigning and gathering content for e-newsletters and managing their production cycle.
- Oversee publication’s social media efforts, including daily interaction with Facebook fans, Twitter followers and LinkedIn group members
- Regularly review site analytics to track and analyze traffic to our publication, unique page views, e-newsletter open and click-through rates, visits per visitor, and activity on site. Recommend new approaches and initiatives geared toward improving traffic or leveraging site trends. Responsible for exceeding our brand's traffic goals for nine months in a row, and growing page views from 9,000 in January 2010 to 62,000 in August 2010.
- Work with e-marketing department to develop Google AdWords campaigns based on recent content; repackages existing content to deliver to readers and potential readers in a way that makes sense for that particular audience.
- Oversee publication's market research efforts, leading eight research projects per year that are geared toward analyzing our target audience's activity in a number of product markets. Analyze and package market research results in a way that will help readers understand how their peers are working and how they can improve their own business.
- Supervise an in-house associate editor, as well as a half-dozen paid freelance writers and hundreds of contributing industry writers.
- Work closely with art director and graphic design staff to conceptualize story packaging and presentation.
Jun 2009 - Jul 2010
Conducted research and interviewed sources for business profiles and feature-length stories for Canadian Builders Quarterly and Canadian Executive Quarterly, two business-to-business publications serving building industry professionals throughout Canada.
Jul 2009 - Apr 2010
Freelance writer and researcher
Created editorial content and researched links for a series of websites targeting students interested in the career fields of education, nursing and civil service. Wrote synopses of universities and colleges and their associated degree programs, as well as profiles on specific career fields and degree types. Researched contact names and websites for the purposes of establishing backlinks to drive traffic to client's sites.
Jun 2005 - Apr 2006
- Wrote advertising copy for email, direct mail, and magazine ads run by major insurance companies and brokerage firms for the purpose of recruiting agents. Routinely generated email blasts with a click-through rate of over 10 percent, and created direct mail pieces that resulted in the recruitment of high-income-producing professionals to clients' companies.
- Developed the company’s first in-house style guide, still in use today.
Jan 2006 - Apr 2006
- Wrote monthly feature-length articles for Insurance Marketing, an 11,000-circulation national publication for insurance industry managers and executives.
- Coordinated contributor submissions.
Jul 2004 - Jun 2005
- Copy edited features, news, and briefs, searching for grammatical and stylistic errors. Cleaned copy so readers could easily understand the information in each article.
- Wrote headlines and other display copy designed to pull readers into the pages and to engage them to purchase newsstand copies.
- Designed front cover, section fronts, and local and business sections. During my 11-month tenure at the 50,000-circulation daily newspaper, newsstand sales grew 10 percent.
- Created and maintained image archive for entire newsroom in order to streamline coworkers' jobs when searching for images to use in layouts and online.
Sep 2002 - Jul 2004
- Wrote and edited features, news stories, briefs, etc. for two community newsweeklies geared toward engaging readers in what was happening in their local community.
- Designed one weekly publication using Quark XPress; publication regularly ran 40 pages or more worth of content.
- Filled in as proofreader and editor when needed.
Aug 1998 - Jun 2002
Concentration in magazine journalism with a minor in history; emphasis on U.S. history 1960-present.