I restore pride. Listening, I reflect and illuminate your skills, talents and accomplishments. A problem solver, I show you the tools to build your own path to employment. Most of my experience has focused either on persons with disabilities or employment services websites. I was the first full time online employment counsellor in Canada and have developed content for and maintained several websites from startup onwards. At the moment I work with the general public and enjoy facilitating workshops and assisting people with their job search. "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being." ~ Albert Schweitzer My aim is to rekindle your job search.
2007 - Present
Senior Resource Consultant
- Co-manages busy employment Resource Centre
- Designs and facilitates workshops
- Teaches job search techniques and basic computer skills to unemployed individuals
- Trains and mentors staff
- Manages resource library and lending library including purchasing, scheduling and supervision
- Writes content for newsletters and web site
- Writes sections of funding proposals
2004 - 2007
- Provided career and employment counselling for blind and visually impaired job seekers on Vancouver Island and the coastal communities.
- Administered the Employment Program for Persons With Disabilities program for this region for this target group.
- Evaluated and approved training funding requests
- Provided job accommodation and job preservation services.
2000 - 2002
Research & Content
- Provided content for website and newsletter for Canadian Career Practitioners.
- Kept website current by posting jobs, links, and news.
- Managed all aspects of site during Executive Director's six month leave of absence.
- Promoted the website at conferences and trade shows.
- Contributed content for "A Coming of Age: A History of Counselling Canadians for Work "
- Steering Committee Member, Mentoring Connections Conference, 2000-2001
1997 - 2000
Virtual Employment Resource Centre Manager
- First federally funded online employment counsellor.
- Developed techniques for providing employment services via chat and email for work seekers with disabilities.
- Wrote articles, columns and other content for the website Workink. (http://www.workink.com)
- Provided accommodation information for employers and job seekers.
- Trained and mentored counsellors in other provinces when contract was expanded to service all of Canada.
- Delivered professional development workshops at conferences
- NATCON (National, Ottawa)
- CDC (BC)
- OPPORTUNITIES (Ontario)
- President's Advisory Committee on Disabilities (USA, New Orleans)
- Participated in Phase 2 Canadian Standards and Guidelines for Career Development Pracitioners consultations as a stakeholder.
- Steering Committee member for Opportunities Conference 1999 - 2000.
1994 - 1996
Career & Work Counsellor
George Brown College
- 2 year full time program with 3 practicum placements
- Graduated first in the program and received Dean's Award for highest grade point in the department
- Extra certification in MBTI, Temperament, True Colours, Life Skills Coach
- Qualified for Level B psychometics testing
1971 - 1975
The University of Calgary
4 year Honours Degree, With Distinction
Dean's List, top grade point for the department